Algeria’s population is 41.7m as of 2017, making it the second-largest country in North Africa, after Egypt. Algeria’s population is expected to grow at a CAGR of 1.9% over 2017-2022, reaching 45.9m. By 2017, Algeria’s mobile market will register an increase of 2.9% over 2016. Moving forward, mobile operators will be adding 10.2m subscriptions, bringing the country’s total to 56.5m by 2022. A significant rise in smartphone and M2M subscriptions will contribute to the mobile subscription growth.
Mobile subscription penetration will grow from 111.1% in 2017 to 123.2% in 2022, aided by 3G/4G network expansion, especially to underserved areas. Rising smartphones adoption as well as M2M SIMs growth, as well as MNOs’ price discounts will also continue to drive multi-SIM ownership and thus the subscription penetration rate.
Fixed broadband services revenue will also register a positive CAGR of 2.6% in dollars and 7.7% in dinar over 2017-2022. This growth will be driven by the gradual rise in consumption of high-bandwidth online content, supported by the expansion and enhancement of fixed broadband networks, especially fiber.
ARPT awarded licenses for 4G LTE network deployment to Mobilis, Djezzy and Ooredoo in September 2016. The government has strategically divided the nation into two categories to schedule deployment - C1 (15 high-priority regions or wilayas) and C2 (33 low-priority regions), allowing for operators to expand services to additional regions after achieving a 10% minimum coverage in the first three assigned areas.
The report "Algeria: Country Intelligence Report" provides an executive-level overview of the telecommunications market in Algeria today, with detailed forecasts of key indicators up to 2022. It also provides detailed analysis of the near-term opportunities, competitive dynamics and evolution of demand by service type and technology/platform across the fixed telephony, mobile voice, fixed broadband, and mobile data, as well as a review of key regulatory trends.
This report provides the following in-depth:
- Regional context: Telecom market size and trends in Algeria compared with other countries in the region.
- Economic, demographic and political context in Algeria.
- The regulatory environment and trends: A review of the regulatory setting and agenda for the next 18-24 months as well as relevant developments pertaining to 4G spectrum licensing, taxation, fiber coverage and more.
- A demand profile: Analysis as well as historical figures and forecasts of service revenue from the fixed telephony, broadband, mobile voice, and mobile data markets.
- Service evolution: A look at changes in the breakdown of overall revenue between the fixed and mobile sectors and between voice and data from 2016 to 2022.
- The competitive landscape: An examination of key trends in competition and in the performance, revenue market shares and expected moves of service providers over the next 18-24 months.
- In-depth sector analysis of fixed telephony, broadband, mobile voice, and mobile data services: A quantitative analysis of service adoption trends by network technology and by operator, as well as of average revenue per line/subscription and service revenue through the end of the forecast period.
- The overall telecom service revenue in Algeria will decline at a CAGR of -0.5% during 2017-2022.
- Mobile revenue will account for 71.1% of the total telecom revenue in 2022, driven by increasing adoption and usage of mobile broadband services.
- 3G will be the most adopted mobile technology across the 2017-2022 period. Rising demand for high-speed data service and expansion of the 4G network will drive 4G subscriber growth.
- The top two mobile operators, Djezzy and Mobilis, will account for 68.8% share of overall mobile subscriptions in 2017. We expect the competition to intensify further as all operators are focusing on network enhancement, LTE expansion and leading the mobile data market.
- Operators will continue to invest in LTE networks, fiber deployments and catering to the rising data demand.
- This Country Intelligence Report offers a thorough, forward-looking analysis of Algeria’s telecommunications markets, service providers and key opportunities in a concise format to help executives build proactive and profitable growth strategies.
- Accompanying the author’s Forecast products, the report examines the assumptions and drivers behind ongoing and upcoming trends in Algeria’s mobile communications, fixed telephony, broadband markets, including the evolution of service provider market shares.
- With more than 20 charts and tables, the report is designed for an executive-level audience, boasting presentation quality.
- The report provides an easily digestible market assessment for decision-makers built around in-depth information gathered from local market players, which enables executives to quickly get up to speed with the current and emerging trends in Algeria’s telecommunications markets.
- The broad perspective of the report coupled with comprehensive, actionable detail will help operators, equipment vendors and other telecom industry players succeed in the challenging telecommunications market in Algeria.
- Market highlights
- Demographic, macro and regulatory context
- Demographic and macroeconomic context
- Regulatory context
- Telecom services market outlook
- Total telecom service revenue
- Mobile services market
- Fixed services market
- Competitive landscape and company snapshots
- Competitive landscape
- Ooredoo Algeria
- Algerie Telecom
- Additional resources
- Forecast assumptions
- Data tables
- Country Intelligence Report coverage