Total telecom service revenue in Niger will reach approximately $360m in 2017, a decline of 3.6% from 2016. This decline in revenue is primarily due to a fall in voice and messaging subscriptions. Over the next five years, it is expected that the total service revenue will grow at a CAGR of 6.9%, primarily driven by a steady rise in mobile data services. Mobile voice services will continue to remain the largest revenue contributor over the forecast period and will grow at a CAGR of 3.9% during 2017-2022.
Mobile data services revenue will be the fastest-growing segment at a CAGR of 27.5% during 2017-2022, driven by growing adoption of 3G services and increasing use of smartphones for accessing online content. The author forecasts 4G services to launch in 2018, which will further grow mobile data services revenue.
Fixed services revenue will be driven by growth in broadband services, which will grow at a CAGR of 5%+ during 2017-2022, supported by the government’s deployment and expansion of the Trans-Saharan Backbone Network in Niger.
In 2017, handsets will account for 98.6% of total mobile subscriptions in Niger and will remain the dominant category until 2022 due to growing smartphone ownership. Although from a low base, connected data devices, particularly data card subscriptions, are expected to grow at a relatively fast pace in the device type category as they become cheaper.
The report "Niger: Country Intelligence Report", provides an executive-level overview of the telecommunications market in Niger today, with detailed forecasts of key indicators up to 2022.
Specifically, the report allows the following:
- Demographic and macroeconomic context in Niger.
- The regulatory environment and trends: a review of the regulatory setting and agenda for the next 18-24 months as well as relevant developments pertaining to spectrum licensing, national broadband plans, tariff regulation and more.
- Telecom services market outlook: analysis as well as historical figures and forecasts of service revenue from the fixed telephony, broadband, mobile voice and mobile data markets.
- The competitive landscape: an examination of the positioning of leading players in terms of revenue market shares across segments in the telecom services market.
- Company snapshots: analysis of the financial position of leading service providers in the telecommunications markets.
- Underlying assumptions behind our published base-case forecasts, as well as potential market developments that would alter, either positively or negatively, our base-case outlook.
- The overall telecom service revenue in Niger will grow at a CAGR of 6.9% during 2017-2022.
- Mobile revenue will account for 90.5% of total telecom revenue in 2022, driven by increasing adoption of mobile broadband and 4G services.
- 2G will be the most adopted mobile technology across the 2017-2022 period. Increasing demand for faster-speed data service, 3G network expansion and launch of 4G in 2018 will drive subscriber growth over the forecast period.
- The top three mobile operators, Airtel Niger, Moov Niger and Orange Niger, will account for 92.9% share of overall mobile subscriptions in 2017. Operators will continue to focus on network investments and coverage expansion, fiber deployment and value-added service offerings to acquire customers and drive the telecom market.
- This Country Intelligence Report offers a thorough, forward-looking analysis of Niger’s telecommunications markets, service providers and key opportunities in a concise format to help executives build proactive and profitable growth strategies.
- Accompanying forecast products, the report examines the assumptions and drivers behind ongoing and upcoming trends in Niger’s mobile communications, fixed telephony, broadband markets, including the evolution of service provider market shares.
- With more than 20 charts and tables, the report is designed for an executive-level audience, boasting presentation quality.
- The report provides an easily digestible market assessment for decision-makers built around in-depth information gathered from local market players, which enables executives to quickly get up to speed with the current and emerging trends in Niger’s telecommunications markets.
- The broad perspective of the report coupled with comprehensive, actionable detail will help operators, equipment vendors and other telecom industry players succeed in the challenging telecommunications market in Niger.
- Market highlights
- Demographic, macroeconomic and regulatory context
- Demographic and macroeconomic context
- Regulatory context
- Telecom services market outlook
- Total telecom service revenue
- Mobile services market
- Fixed services market
- Competitive landscape and company snapshots
- Competitive landscape
- Airtel Niger
- Orange Niger
- Moov Niger
- Niger Telecom
- Additional resources
- Baseline forecast assumptions
- Data tables
- Research methodology
- About the authors
- Country Intelligence Report coverage