Growth In Demand Of Tomatoes As A Result Of Increasing Derived Demand
With the increasing disposable income and living standards, processed foods are in great demand. There is a growing demand for processed tomato products in the form of frozen products and canned products, which include tomato sauces like pasta sauces, soups, curries, and juices. The US Economic Research Service (US-ERS) Data indicates that, 89% of tomatoes are grown for the purpose of canning.
US-ERS statistics, as per 2000, indicates a slow but substantial growth in demand for processed tomato products, which is expected to witness a share of +25% in recent times.
Rising Interest For New Varieties
Markets in US, Canada and EU are mature, in terms of adoption of hybrid and high yielding seeds. Major players in developed economies are investing in R&D in order to bring tomato varieties with better tastes, exotic shapes, and colors. There are increasing trends towards the production of greenhouse tomatoes in countries such as the United States, Canada, and France. Moreover, in Mexico, 70% of the Protected Culture (PC) is claimed by the tomato cultivation, alone (Guan, Zhengfei et al., 2016).
Asia Pacific is the Fastest Growing Market
Asia-Pacific is expected to grow faster, exhibiting a CAGR of 8.7%. Expanding cultivation in the region, especially in China and India, along with the adoption of hybrid varieties with better disease and drought resistance traits, emerges as a major growth driver. In 2016, China recorded a 2.7% increase from the previous year, and is expected to register a growth of 1.3% in 2017. Due to intensification of hybrids and HYVs, the yield is consistently increasing as well. In fact, the tomato yield per hectare in China was 54% larger than the global average in 2014.
Key Developments in the Market
- March 2018: On March 6, 2018, a new seed breeding station of Hazera Seeds will open on the Machinestraat in Warmenhuizen.
- September 2017: Vilmorin and Mikado Kyowa Seed have merged to become one business unit Vilmorin- Mikado. This acquisition will further strengthen its position in the world market.
- August 2017: De Ruiter has been getting new demos constructed for tomatoes in Bleiswijk, which has been a relatively new concept of growing vegetables in greenhouses, especially in the Netherlands.
Reasons to Purchase this Report
- To understand the growth trends of the tomato seed market in key producing countries. Growth forecast is provided for 2018 - 2023. These information are crucial in identifying prospective markets with greater growth potential.
- Analyzing various perspectives of the market with the help of Porter’s five forces analysis.
- To understand the regions that are expected to witness fastest growth during the forecast period.
- Identify the latest developments, market shares and strategies employed by the major market players.
- 3 months analyst support along with the Market Estimate sheet in excel.
Companies & Countries of client’s interest can be included in report based on feasibility of report.
1.1 Market Definition
1.2 Key Findings of the Study
2. Research Scope & Methodology
2.1 Study Deliverables
2.2 Market Segmentation
2.3 Study Assumptions
2.4 Research Methodology
2.5 Research Phases
3. Market Overview
3.2 Global Hotspots
4. Market Dynamics
4.1.1 Intensification of Hybrid Seed Usage across Emerging Economics
4.1.2 Rising Interest for New Varieties, like Grape Tomatoes, in Matured/Developed
4.1.3 Growth in Demand of Tomatoes as a result Increasing Dervived Demand
4.1.4 Expanding Cultivation
4.2.1 Perishable Nature of Seeds
4.2.2 High Cost of Seeds
4.2.3 Higher R&D Cost and Time Frame
4.2.4 Skeptism from Farmers towards New Varieties
5. Industry Analysis
5.1 Porter Five Forces analysis
5.2 Explanation of Porter Five Forces's Analysis
6. Market Segmentation
6.1 By Geography
6.1.1 North America
184.108.40.206 United States
6.1.4 South America
220.127.116.11 South Africa
7. Competitive Landscape
7.1 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
7.2 Most Active Companies in the Past Five Years
7.3 Market Share Analysis
8. Company Profiles
8.1.1 De Ruiter
8.2 Groupe Limagrain
8.2.1 HM Clause
8.2.4 Mikado Kyowa Seed
8.3 Rijk Zwaan
8.5 Bayer CropScience
8.8 East-West Seeds
9. Future Outlook of the Market