- 158 data tables and 69 additional tables
- An overview of the global market for electric vehicles, including battery-powered vehicles, fuel-cell-powered vehicles, and hybrid vehicles.
- Analyses of global market trends, with data from 2016, estimates for 2017, and projections of compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) through 2022.
- Details on many types of electric vehicles being considered, including passenger cars, trucks, buses, e-bikes and scooters, motorcycles, and material handling and industrial vehicles.
- Discussion on the developing EV markets, such as military vehicles, locomotives, marine vehicles, and vehicle auxiliary power units.
- A summary of the power sources that make these vehicles possible, including lead-acid, nickel-metal hydride, lithium-ion batteries and proton-exchange membrane fuel cells; niche power source possibilities are also considered.
- Profiles of leading companies in the industry.
After decades of expensive development and false starts, the world is finally ready for EVs. For the purpose of this report, the term “electric vehicles” includes commercial approaches such as pure battery-powered, plug-in hybrid, hybrid internal combustion/battery, range extended, and FCVs, as well as vehicles powered by developmental power sources such as supercapacitors and flywheel. In addition to cars and trucks, this report considers motorcycles, scooters, buses, neighborhood EVs, self-driving carts, military vehicles, and locomotives.
This report details actual figures for 2013 and 2016 and compound annual growth rate (CAGR) projections for 2017 through 2022 for the global and four regional markets. Power source sales and values are provided under consensus, optimistic and pessimistic scenarios. A patent analysis and discussion of power sources and vehicle components describes the areas in which research is being performed and emphasizes intellectual property issues.
Note that values are expressed in million dollars and shipments are expressed in 1,000 vehicles. In both cases, totals are rounded to the nearest integer (i.e., less than $500,000 is expressed as 0.)
Values are based on the equivalent of wholesale, or the price charged to the retailer prior to mark-up. However, advanced EVs are sold at a price below actual manufacturing cost. This may be due to regulatory compliance or the desire to establish a market before economics of scale kicks in. The cost to consumers may be reduced considerably when government subsidies or possible tax breaks are added to the dealer price.
As Defined by for this Report, EVs and FCVs Include the Following:
- EVs (pure EVs).
Specific types of vehicles using these batteries include:
- Passenger vehicles (sedans, microcars, SUVs, crossover SUVs, pickup trucks, sports cars).
- Low-velocity vehicles (golf carts, neighborhood EVs, personal mobility devices).
- Scooters (two-wheelers, motorcycles, some three-wheelers).
- Commercial/industrial vehicles (material handling equipment, burden carriers, forklifts, trucks).
- Niche vehicles (self-driving vehicles, military equipment, locomotives).
This report defines the market sectors, identifies leading companies and analyzes the markets to provide a five-year market forecast. Finally, the company profiles section provides the status of and recent events for companies making power sources.
- Study Goals and Objectives
- Reasons for Doing This Study
- Scope of Report
- Information Sources
- Geographic Breakdown
2: Summary and Highlights
- Table 0 A : Global Electric Vehicle Market, by Configuration, Through 2022
- Figure 0 A : Global Electric Vehicle Market, by Configuration, 2013-2022
- Table 0 B : Global Electric Vehicle Market, by Configuration, Through 2022
- Figure 0 B : Global Electric Vehicle Market, by Configuration, 2013-2022
3: Market and Technology Background
- Industry Structure: Overview
- Overview: Types of Power Sources
- Overview: Vehicle Types
- Industry Structure: Market Trends
- HEV and EV Battery Safety Issues
- Market Drivers
- Basis for Forecast Scenarios
- Pricing Trends
- Industry Structure: Patent Tension
4: Market Breakdown by Vehicles
- Market by Vehicle Type
5: Market Breakdown by Power Source
- Battery-Powered Electric Vehicle Market Summary
- Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle Market Summary
- Exotic Power Source Electric Vehicle Market Summary
6: Market Breakdown by Configuration
- HEV Market Summary
- Plug-in Electric Vehicle Market Summary
- Pure Electric Vehicle Market Summary
7: Market Breakdown by Region
- Electric Vehicle Industry Structure: Globalization
- Electric Vehicle Market Summary by Region
- Vehicle Market by Power Source
- Total Global EV Market by Region
8: Vehicle Market Summary
- Vehicle Market Summary by Vehicle Type
- Vehicle Market Summary by Power Source
- Vehicle Market Summary by Configuration
9: Company Profiles
- Leading Electric Vehicle Makers
- Company Profiles
10: Appendix: Selected Electric Vehicle Power Source Companies
- Selected Electric Vehicle Battery Companies
- Selected Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cell Companies
- Report Sources
Donald Saxman is an industry-recognized expert in gas separation and oil recovery through carbon dioxide injection. His experience in both markets and technologies for corrosion inhibitors, and industrial gas end uses informs his research. While working for Zellweger Analytics as a subscontractor to Boeing Aerospace, he was quality assurance manager for the design, manufacture and testing of an organic carbon monitor for the International Space Station and its water recycling system. He has worked with BCC Research as analyst and author for more than 20 years. His reports include market research on lithium batteries and solid oxide fuel cells. He has a bachelor's degree in geology from the University of Indiana.