Myanmar’s population of 53m, as of 2017, makes it the 10th largest country in the Asia-Pacific region. The author expects Myanmar’s population to grow at a CAGR of nearly 1% over the 2017-2022 period, reaching over 55m by the end of 2022.Myanmar’s nominal GDP will grow from an estimated $69bn in 2017 to over US$115bn by 2022 supported by gradual improvement in wages and consumer access to finance and growth in private consumption. Liberalization of the financial sector will spur activity in nascent but fast-growing industries such as export manufacturing.
Total telecom service revenue in Myanmar when valued in US$ indicates a decline from about $2.7bn in 2017 to $2.6bn by year-end 2022, reflecting a CAGR of about -0.1%. However, when valued in local currency, the total service revenue indicates an increase from an estimated K3,600bn in 2017 to around K4,200bn by 2022, reflecting a CAGR of nearly 3.5%. This is mainly due to foreign exchange movement with considerable devaluation of the local currency against the US$ amid a large and growing current-account deficit and high levels of inflation.
Despite an uncertain economic scenario and high inflation rate, the mobile data segment will attract considerable domestic spending, and its revenue will increase at a CAGR of over 30% (about 35.1% in K) over 2017-2022 driven by a projected rise in the number of smartphone subscriptions and adoption of high-value 4G LTE/LTE-A services.
Although starting from a low base, fixed broadband services revenue will also register a healthy CAGR of over 11% (just over 15% in K) over 2017-2022 driven by a projected rise in FTTH subscriptions thanks to expansion of FTTx services in the nation by operators such as MPT.
The report "Myanmar: Country Intelligence Report", provides an executive-level overview of the telecommunications market in Myanmar today, with detailed forecasts of key indicators up to 2022. Furthermore, this report provides detailed analysis of the near-term opportunities, competitive dynamics and evolution of demand by service type and technology/platform across the fixed telephony, broadband and mobile markets, as well as a review of key regulatory trends.
In particular, this report provides the following:
- Demographic and macroeconomic context in Myanmar.
- The regulatory environment and trends: A review of the regulatory setting and agenda for the next 18-24 months as well as relevant developments pertaining to spectrum licensing, national broadband plans, tariff regulation and more.
- Telecom services market outlook: Analysis as well as historical figures and forecasts of service revenue from the fixed telephony, broadband, mobile voice and mobile data markets.
- The competitive landscape: An examination of the positioning of leading players in terms of revenue market shares across segments in the telecom services market.
- Company snapshots: Analysis of the financial position of leading service providers in the telecommunications markets.
- Underlying assumptions behind our published base-case forecasts, as well as potential market developments that would alter, either positively or negatively, our base-case outlook.
- The overall telecom service revenue in Myanmar in terms of US$ will reflect a CAGR of -0.1% (3.4% in K) during 2017-2022.
- Mobile revenue will account for 94% of total telecom revenue in 2022, driven by increasing adoption of mobile broadband and 4G services.
- 3G will be the most adopted mobile technology in 2017. However, by 2022, 4G will account for the majority of the market due to rising demand for high-speed data services and LTE network expansion over the forecast period.
- The top two mobile operators, MPT and Telenor Myanmar, will account for 81.2% share of overall mobile subscriptions in 2017. Operators will continue to focus on network coverage expansion and fiber deployment to acquire customers and drive the telecom market.
- Fixed voice and fixed broadband access lines will be dominated by MPT, accounting for 92.5% and 47.5% of market share, respectively, in 2017.
- This Country Intelligence Report offers a thorough, forward-looking analysis of Myanmar’s telecommunications markets, service providers and key opportunities in a concise format to help executives build proactive and profitable growth strategies.
- Accompanying the author’s Forecast products, the report examines the assumptions and drivers behind ongoing and upcoming trends in Myanmar’s mobile communications, fixed telephony, broadband markets, including the evolution of service provider market shares.
- With more than 20 charts and tables, the report is designed for an executive-level audience, boasting presentation quality.
- The report provides an easily digestible market assessment for decision-makers built around in-depth information gathered from local market players, which enables executives to quickly get up to speed with the current and emerging trends in Myanmar’s telecommunications markets.
- The broad perspective of the report coupled with comprehensive, actionable detail will help operators, equipment vendors and other telecom industry players succeed in the challenging telecommunications market in Myanmar.
Demographic, macroeconomic and regulatory context
Demographic and macroeconomic context
Telecom services market outlook
Total telecom service revenue
Mobile services market
Fixed services market
Competitive landscape and company snapshots
Baseline forecast assumptions
About the authors
Country Intelligence Report coverage