This report provides a comprehensive analysis of the business of fabricating heavy-duty Class 8 truck bodies for vocational applications. Over 400 companies, in 17 key end-use application segments, were examined for inclusion in the study.
Market size and share estimates, in units and dollars, are provided for each of the following segments:
- Aerial Reach Truck/Bodies
- Concrete Mixer & Pump Truck/Bodies - Front & Rear Discharge Mixers, Pump Trucks, Volumetric Mixers
- Conveyor Delivery Truck/Bodies, including Stone Slingers & Seed/Fertilizer Tenders
- Drilling Equipment
- Dump Truck/Bodies, including Chipper & Grain Bodies
- Fire Truck/Bodies - Aerial Ladder & Platforms, Pumpers, Rescue, Tankers
- Flatbed Truck/Bodies
- Grapple Loader Truck/Bodies
- Hoist & Carrier Truck/Bodies
- Lube Truck/Bodies
- Oilfield Truck/Bodies
- Refuse Truck/Bodies - Rear, Front & Side Loaders
- Road Construction & Maintenance Truck/Bodies - Asphalt Distributors & Patchers
- Tank Truck/Bodies - Bulk Feed, Aviation Refuelers, LPG Bobtails, Refined Fuel & Water Tanks
- Telescopic Boom Truck Cranes
- Tow & Carrier Truck/Bodies
- Vacuum Tank Truck/Bodies - Hydro Excavators, Industrial Vacuum Loaders, Sewer Cleaners, Coded & Septic/Non-Coded Vacuum Tanks.
Whereas there are only a handful of heavy truck chassis manufacturers, the outcome of the vocational use of final vehicles rests in the hands of scores of small to large body fabricators in North America. These range from one-segment specialists to larger corporations that produce more than one type of heavy truck body.
The vocational/straight truck segment accounts for a quarter to a third of the total Class 8 category in North America, and in recent years has performed better than the tractor segment. All 410 companies included in this report manufacture bodies suitable for mounting on Class 8 heavy-duty straight/vocational truck chassis. They may also make bodies mounted on lower GVWR chassis, or in trailer-mounted or self-propelled configurations, but only the production of Class 8-suitable bodies is included in this study.
The author has pioneered independent study of various body fabrication areas, long neglected for analysis in understanding the final vocational truck. This report provides a vista view of the heavy-duty Class 8 segment of the industry, from the standpoint of where the truck chassis is applied in the delivery chain from truck manufacturer to body fabricator to final customer.
*Due to the length of the report, it is provided in two separate files—Part A: Summary (112 pages) and Part B: Analysis (340 pages).
Each of the 17 segments in the report are self-contained. This is the standard Table of Contents for each segment:
2. Product Types
3. Market Size Estimates: Units & Dollars 2017
4. Market Shares: Competitive Analysis in Units & Dollars
4.1 Manufacturers by Type
4.2 Manufacturers’ Product Mix
4.3 Market Shares: All Products
5. Market Shares by Type
6. Market Analysis
6.1 Average Price
6.2 Distribution Channels
7. Market Dynamics & Demand Factors
8. Outlook - 2018-2022
9. Production by Region
10. Key Manufacturer Data