Telecom and pay-TV services market in the Netherlands, when valued in local currency, will see weaker growth from around €10.2bn in 2017 to €10.6bn by 2022 at a CAGR of 0.6% over 2017-2022. In US$, however, this reflects an increase from $11.6bn to $13.1bn at a CAGR of 2.4% over 2017-2022, indicating a strengthening euro against the US$. Growth in mobile data, fixed broadband and pay-TV revenue will offset declining voice and messaging revenue and sustain overall revenue growth over the forecast period.
Mobile voice revenue will decline over the forecast period as falling voice ARPS comes as a result of operators cutting voice tariffs due to competition and increasing user shifts to OTT communications. Mobile data revenue will grow at the fastest CAGR of 4.9% in € (6.8% in $) over 2017-2022, reaching €3.2bn ($4bn) by 2022, driven by a continued rise in smartphone penetration, adoption of 4G/5G services and increased consumption in more expensive mobile bundles that include unlimited or high data limits.
Fixed broadband revenue will grow from €2.6bn ($2.9bn) in 2017 to €2.8bn ($3.5bn) by 2022 supported by growing FTTx subscriptions in line with rural fiber rollouts by operators.
Mobile subscription penetration of the population in the Netherlands will grow from over 149% in 2017 to around 156% by 2022 driven by a steady rise in smartphone penetration and rising multi-SIM ownership as users look to benefit from unique offers from different operators that offer discounted data-focused plans to counter rising data prices.
The report "Netherlands: Country Intelligence Report", provides an executive-level overview of the telecommunications market in the Netherlands today, with detailed forecasts of key indicators up to 2022. Moreover, the report provides detailed analysis of the near-term opportunities, competitive dynamics and evolution of demand by service type and technology/platform across the fixed telephony, broadband, mobile and pay-TV segments, as well as a review of key regulatory trends.
In particular, this report provides the following:
- Demographic and macroeconomic context in the Netherlands.
- The regulatory environment and trends: A review of the regulatory setting and agenda for the next 18-24 months as well as relevant developments pertaining to spectrum licensing, national broadband plans, tariff regulation and more.
- Telecom and pay-TV services market outlook: Analysis as well as historical figures and forecasts of service revenue from the fixed telephony, broadband, mobile voice, mobile data and pay-TV markets.
- The competitive landscape: An examination of the positioning of leading players in the telecom and pay-TV services market as well as subscription market shares across segments.
- Company snapshots: Analysis of the financial position of leading service providers in the telecommunications and pay-TV markets.
- The overall telecom and pay-TV services revenue in the Netherlands will grow at a CAGR of 0.6% in € (2.4% in US$) during 2017-2022.
- Mobile revenue will account for 46.5% of total telecom and pay-TV services revenue in 2022, driven by increasing adoption of 4G/5G services.
- KPN leads the Netherland's mobile market in terms of mobile subscriptions for 2017, followed by VodafoneZiggo and T-Mobile Netherlands. Major operators focus on LTE network advacements to remain competitive in the market.
- This Country Intelligence Report offers a thorough, forward-looking analysis of the Netherland’s telecommunications markets, service providers and key opportunities in a concise format to help executives build proactive and profitable growth strategies.
- Accompanying the author’s Forecast products, the report examines the assumptions and drivers behind ongoing and upcoming trends in the Netherland’s mobile communications, fixed telephony, broadband markets, including the evolution of service provider market shares.
- With more than 20 charts and tables, the report is designed for an executive-level audience, boasting presentation quality.
- The report provides an easily digestible market assessment for decision-makers built around in-depth information gathered from local market players, which enables executives to quickly get up to speed with the current and emerging trends in the Netherland’s telecommunications markets.
- The broad perspective of the report coupled with comprehensive, actionable detail will help operators, equipment vendors and other telecom industry players succeed in the challenging telecommunications market in the Netherlands.
Demographic, macroeconomic and regulatory context
Demographic and macroeconomic context
Telecom and pay-TV services market outlook
Total telecom service revenue
Mobile services market
Fixed services market
Pay-TV services market
Competitive landscape and company snapshots
Baseline forecast assumptions
About the authors
Country Intelligence Report coverage