Lagos is the most populous city in Nigeria. Lagos Metropolitan Area or Greater Lagos is a statistical division and not an administrative unit. It comprises 16 of the 20 local government areas (LGAs) and is home to 66.0% of the population of Lagos state (one of the 36 states in Nigeria). For the first time, the Lagos economy slipped into recession in 2016, due to adverse economic shocks, inconsistent economic policies, decline in oil prices and security problems in the north east and delta regions. However, the area’s economy is expected to recover in 2017, supported by rise in infrastructure spending, private investments and recovery in oil market.
“City Profile - Lagos” provides historical and forecast data on key city level metrics along with analytical coverage of the latest political, economic, social, technological, infrastructural, legal and environmental issues affecting Lagos. The report contains detailed tourism, retail, construction, technology and public infrastructure data and insight into economic, social, and industry trends.
- The service sector remains the key contributor to the city’s economy - and the major employer.
- Lagos is a key tourist destination for both domestic and international tourists and experienced healthy growth in the past two years. Lagos is experiencing persistent increase in terms of construction sector since past two years
- Gain a comprehensive knowledge of future economic and demographic trends and understand the performance of various sectors within the city.
- Analyze and understand the business environment in the city to align your investment and expansion strategies.
- The report helps to drive a conclusion in choosing a suitable city to invest or expand according to your business structure.
- Explore new opportunities in the hospitality, tourism, construction, real estate and retail sectors.
Technology and Infrastructure
Internal Transport Networks
Business Environment Analysis
Travel and Tourism
Construction and Real Estate
Real Estate Market
Consumption, Income and Prices
Ask the analyst
About the Publisher
List of Tables
Table 1: Lagos metropolitan area - key facts (estimates), 2016
Table 2: Lagos metropolitan area - real GDP growth, 2000-25
Table 3: Lagos metropolitan area - economic growth comparison, (Index 2010=100), 2000-25
Table 4: Lagos metropolitan area - GDP per capita comparison, 2000-25 (US$)
Table 5: Lagos metropolitan area - employment structure, 2000-25 (% of total)
Table 6: Lagos metropolitan area - population comparison, 2000-25 (million)
Table 7: Lagos metropolitan area - population by age, 2000-25 (% of total)
Table 8: Lagos city - mass transit network indicators, 2016
Table 9: Lagos city - key MMIA indicators
Table 10: Lagos city - office rents, 2016
Table 11: Lagos city - MICE and other events
List of Figures
Figure 1: Lagos metropolitan area - real GDP growth, 2000-25
Figure 2: Lagos metropolitan area - economic growth comparison, (Index 2010=100), 2000-25
Figure 3: Lagos metropolitan area - GDP per capita comparison, 2000-25
Figure 4: Lagos metropolitan area - employment structure, 2000-25 (% of total)
Figure 5: Lagos metropolitan area - population comparison, 2000-25
Figure 6: Lagos metropolitan area - population by age, 2000-25 (% of total)