Shanghai is a key financial and economic hub of the People's Republic of China (PRC) is one of the most populous cities in China. Shanghai has evolved from a commercial and industrial center into an economic center, due to rapid growth in the tertiary sector, such as finance and insurance, trade, transport, communications and real estate. Improvements in professional / business services and real estate are expected to be major drivers of growth.
“City Profile - Shanghai” provides historical and forecast data on key city level metrics along with analytical coverage of the latest political, economic, social, technological, infrastructural, legal and environmental issues affecting Shanghai. The report contains detailed tourism, retail, construction, technology and public infrastructure data and insight into economic, social, and industry trends.
- The Industry and service sectors remain the key contributor to the regional economy - and the major employers.
- Shanghai is a key tourist destination for both domestic and international tourists and witnessed a significant growth over the past two years. Business tourism stands a contributor to the tourism sector. Strong performance is observed in the construction sector with increasing employment, number of building permits issued and building completions.
- Gain a comprehensive knowledge of future economic and demographic trends and understand the performance of various sectors within the city.
- Analyze and understand the business environment in the city to align your investment and expansion strategies.
- The report helps to drive a conclusion in choosing a suitable city to invest or expand according to your business structure.
- Explore new opportunities in the hospitality, tourism, construction, real estate and retail sectors.
Technology and Infrastructure
Internal Transport Networks
Business Environment Analysis
Travel and Tourism
Construction and Real Estate
Real Estate Market
Consumption, Income and Prices
Ask the analyst
About the Publisher
List of Tables
Table 1: Shanghai city - key facts (estimates), 2016
Table 2: Shanghai city - real GDP and real GDP growth, 2000-25
Table 3: Shanghai city - economic growth comparison, (Index 2010=100), 2000-25
Table 4: Shanghai city - GDP per capita comparison, 2000-25 (US$)
Table 5: Shanghai city - employment structure, 2000-25 (% of total)
Table 6: Shanghai city - main universities, 2017
Table 7: Shanghai city - population comparison, 2000-25 (million)
Table 8: Shanghai city - population by age, 2000-25 (% of total)
Table 9: Shanghai city - mass transit network indicators, 2016
Table 10: Shanghai city - key airport indicators
Table 11: Shanghai city - Global Fortune 500 companies with main headquarters in the city
Table 12: Shanghai city - office rents, Q4 2016
Table 13: Shanghai city - international arrivals by country of residence
Table 14: Shanghai city - hotel indicators, 2016
Table 15: Shanghai city - MICE and other events
List of Figures
Figure 1: Shanghai city - real GDP and real GDP growth, 2000-25
Figure 2: Shanghai city - economic growth comparison, (Index 2010=100), 2000-25
Figure 3: Shanghai city - GDP per capita comparison, 2000-25
Figure 4: Shanghai city - employment structure, 2000-25 (% of total)
Figure 5: Shanghai city - population comparison, 2000-25
Figure 6: Shanghai city - population by age, 2000-25 (% of total)