This Microelectronics TOE profiles developments in advanced data storage, transistors, and micro displays. Innovations include a multi-actuator technology for data-intensive applications, a novel hybrid monolithic integration technology for active matrix micro displays, lightweight organic light-emitting diode micro displays for virtual reality applications, high band radio frequency (RF) filters for wireless communication, and vertical GaN (gallium nitride) FETs (field effect transistors).
The Microelectronics TechVision Opportunity Engine (TOE) captures global electronics-related innovations and developments on a weekly basis. Developments are centred on electronics attributed by low power and cost, smaller size, better viewing, display and interface facilities, wireless connectivity, higher memory capacity, flexibility and wearables. Research focus themes include small footprint lightweight devices (CNTs, graphene), smart monitoring and control (touch and haptics), energy efficiency (LEDs, OLEDs, power and thermal management, energy harvesting), and high speed and improved conductivity devices (SiC, GaN, GaAs).
Miniaturization, a move toward lower power consumption, and the need for enhanced features are driving innovations in the electronics sector. Technology focus areas include semiconductor manufacturing and design, flexible electronics, 3D integration/IC, MEMS and NEMS, solid state lighting, advanced displays, nanoelectronics, wearable electronics, brain computer interface, advanced displays, near field communication, and next generation data storage or memory.
1. Innovations in Advanced Data Storage, Transistors, and Micro Displays
- Multi-Actuator Technology for Data-intensive Applications
- Novel Hybrid Monolithic Integration Technology for Active Matrix Micro Displays
- Lightweight Organic Light-emitting Diode Micro Displays for Virtual Reality Applications
- High Band Radio Frequency (RF) Filters for Wireless Communication
- Vertical GaN FETs (Gallium Nitride Field Effect Transistors)
- Industry Contacts