The South African Gambling Industry in South Africa 2018

  • ID: 4464247
  • Report
  • Region: Africa, South Africa
  • 90 pages
  • Who Owns Whom
1 of 4

FEATURED COMPANIES

  • ClickaBet (Pty) Ltd
  • Egoli Gaming (Pty) Ltd
  • Gold Circle (Pty) Ltd
  • Netbet (Pty) Ltd
  • Niveus Investments Ltd
  • O L I M P (Pty) Ltd
  • MORE
The South African Gambling Secto. : In the 2016/2017 financial year the local gambling sector achieved gross gambling revenue (GGR) of some R27bn and supported more than 70,000 jobs. While the casino segment continues to lead the market, GGR at casinos declined in 2017 for the first time in the history of the industry. The trend of relatively consistent double digit growth in gambling modes other than casinos has seen the overall market share shift significantly since 2010, when casinos accounted for some 85% of revenue. Currently casinos account for two-thirds of the market while other segments have made enormous gains, albeit from relatively low bases.

Increasing Competition: Casinos are facing growing competition from other gambling modes including illegal online gambling, which according to the Casino Association of South Africa (CASA) and the National Gambling Board (NGB), is a major concern for the health and future of the industry. The overall betting segment is also becoming more of a threat to the casino sector, growing 14.3% to a value of R5.09bn in 2017. It is now the second-largest gambling mode in South Africa, with horse racing accounting for 42.7% of the betting market, approximately R2.17bn, and sports and online betting accounting for the remaining 57.3%, valued at R2.91bn.

Report Coverage:
This report examines the South African gambling industry, focusing on casinos, betting, limited payout machines, bingo and the National Lottery. Current conditions, the regulatory environment, legislative changes and other factors that influence the success of the sector are covered in this detailed report. Profiles for 13 companies are provided, including Ithuba Holdings, which is the licensed operator of the National Lottery, and Phumelela Gaming and Leisure Ltd, which provides betting opportunities primarily on horseracing via its totalisator system and a network of 143 TAB outlets, 72 agencies, 85 Betting World outlets, an internet betting site, cellular phone and telephone betting (telebet) centres.
READ MORE
Note: Product cover images may vary from those shown
2 of 4

FEATURED COMPANIES

  • ClickaBet (Pty) Ltd
  • Egoli Gaming (Pty) Ltd
  • Gold Circle (Pty) Ltd
  • Netbet (Pty) Ltd
  • Niveus Investments Ltd
  • O L I M P (Pty) Ltd
  • MORE
1. Introduction

2. Description Of The Industry
2.1. Industry Value Chain
2.2. Geographic Position

3. Size Of The Industry

4. State Of The Industry
4.1. Local
4.1.1. Corporate Actions
4.1.2. Regulations
4.1.3. Enterprise Development And Social Economic Development
4.2. Continental
4.3. International

5. Influencing Factors
5.1. Economic Environment
5.2. Increasing Costs
5.3. Labour
5.4. Technology, Research And Development (R&D) And Innovation
5.5. Environmental Concerns

6. Competition
6.1. Barriers To Entry

7. Swot Analysis

8. Outlook

9. Industry Associations

10. References
10.1. Publications
10.2. Websites
Company Profiles
Clickabet (PTY) Ltd
Egoli Gaming (PTY) Ltd
Emerald SAfari Resort (PTY) Ltd
Gold Circle (PTY) Ltd
Ithuba Holdings (Rf) (PTY) Ltd
Netbet (PTY) Ltd
Niveus Investments Ltd
Northern Cape Casino Consultants Kairo (PTY) Ltd
O L I M P (PTY) Ltd
Peermont Global (PTY) Ltd
Phumelela Gaming And Leisure Ltd
Sun International Ltd
Tsogo Sun Holdings Ltd
Note: Product cover images may vary from those shown
3 of 4

Loading
LOADING...

4 of 4
  • Sun International Ltd
  • Peermont Global (Pty) Ltd
  • Emerald Safari Resort (Pty) Ltd
  • Northern Cape Casino Consultants Kairo (Pty) Ltd
  • Phumelela Gaming and Leisure Ltd
  • Gold Circle (Pty) Ltd
  • Tsogo Sun Holdings Ltd
  • Niveus Investments Ltd
  • O L I M P (Pty) Ltd
  • Egoli Gaming (Pty) Ltd
  • Netbet (Pty) Ltd
  • Ithuba Holdings (RF) (Pty) Ltd
  • ClickaBet (Pty) Ltd
Note: Product cover images may vary from those shown
5 of 4
Note: Product cover images may vary from those shown
Adroll
adroll