Growing Demand for Billing Accuracy and Customer Convenience
AMIs boost a utility’s ability to accurately and timely bill customers for the amount of water used. The remote read capability, provided by the AMIs smart meters, allows shorter intervals between billing reads, creating a more continuous flow of capital or better business planning in understanding future revenue streams. The upgrade to an integrated approach yields an accurate billing process, which, in turn, increases the utility revenue. Smart meters also cut labor costs with their advanced reading process. Most of the smart water meters consist of a radio transmitter that allows crews to receive meter information by traveling by a house or building. Also, with the sophistication of a smart metering data management system, customers can use Internet access to create tables and charts to help them analyze their resource consumptions. It also enables them to compare their resource usage with their neighbor’s average or their past water usage.
Water Meters to Play a Significant Role in the AMI Market
With the increasing pressure on water utilities, due to the growing demand, increasing water stress, rising energy prices, and aging water systems, the smart water network solutions have emerged with significant benefits by combining advanced metering technology, software, and effective communications systems. The critical need for optimized consumption of water in water-scarce areas is driving the deployment of AMIs. For instance, according to a report by the World Water Development, 480 million people in Asia alone are expected to face water scarcity in the near future.
Currently, the water and wastewater industries are undergoing the process of transformation, through the use of ICT and near real-time data generation. The focus is to increase operational and management efficiencies, in order to reduce expenditures and carbon footprints through adopting AMIs. An increased number of utilities are integrating advanced ICT solutions into their operations. Moreover, with the deployment of AMIs helping to identify and reduce leakages and non-revenue water, the market is expected to grow exceptionally over the forecast period.
Europe to Hold a Major Market Share
Although, over the last few decades, the population growth in Europe was minimal, the number of single households continued to witness a steep rise, thus creating a significant spike in the demand of water. This factor, coupled with the climate change, is putting pressure on the water resources. The United Kingdom has been one of the forerunners in the terms of promoting the adoption of integrated solutions for smart metering. Thames Water Utilities Limited, one of the leading vendors, has started offering free home visits to help customers save water, energy, and finances. On the other hand, the Federal Council of Germany permitted the implementation of a new law to support the country’s nationwide rollout of smart meters. The new policy is based on the EU legislative Third Internal Market Package, which states that all the EU member states should equip 80% of their consumers with smart meters by 2020. Furthermore, consumers are considering this modern technology to help borough residents take complete control of resources through AMIs. These factors have been instrumental in driving the adoption rate of AMIs in the region.
Key Developments in the Market
- January 2018 - Aclara and Suez signed a partnership to provide smart infrastructure solutions to the US municipalities. This partnership allows both companies to leverage their strengths to benefit utilities. It is aimed to Aclara AMIs and SIS technologies and SUEZ's portfolio, allowing the customers to more effectively manage their distribution systems and reach their sustainability goals.
- September 2017 - Landis+Gyr, a global smart metering supplier, with its smart grid solutions, secured one of the largest smart metering contracts yet awarded in India, with Tata Power Delhi Distribution Ltd encompassing 200,000 single phase and three phase smart meters, the project was a follow up to the contract for India’s first Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) with radio frequency (RF) canopy, comprising 500,000 endpoints, which Tata Power-DDL awarded to Landis+Gyr earlier in 2017.
Reasons to Purchase this Report
- Analyze how the growing demand for billing accuracy and customer convenience acts as a driver for the global market
- Analyze various market perspectives, with the help of Porter’s five forces analysis
- The type of meter and end-user vertical expected to dominate the market
- The regions expected to witness the fastest growth rate during the forecast period
- Identify the latest developments, market shares, and strategies that are employed by the major market players
- 3 months analyst support, along with the Market Estimate sheet (in excel)
This report can be customized to meet your requirements.
1.1 Study Deliverables
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Market Definition
2. Research Methodology
3. Executive Summary
4. Market Dynamics
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Factors Driving the Market
4.2.1 Billing Accuracy And Customer Convenience
4.3 Factors Restraining the Market
4.3.1 Lack Of Capital Investments For Infrastructure Installation And Lack Of ROI
4.4 Value Chain Analysis
4.5 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
4.5.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.5.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.5.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.5.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.5.5 Competitive Rivalry
5. Global Advanced Metering Infrastructure Market Segmentation
5.1 By Product Type
5.1.1 Smart Meter
5.1.2 Meter Communication Infrastructure
5.1.3 Data Management
5.2 By End-User Industry
5.3 By Region
5.3.1 North America
5.3.4 Latin America
5.3.5 Middle East & Africa
6. Competitive Intelligence
6.1 Landis+Gyr Group Ag
6.2 Elster Group Gmbh (Honeywell International Inc)
6.3 Hexing Electric Company Ltd
6.4 Aclara Technologies Llc.
6.5 General Electric Corporation
6.6 IBM Corporation
6.7 Itron Inc.
6.8 Schneider Electric Se
6.9 Sensus USD Inc.
6.10 Tieto Corporation
6.11 Trilliant Inc.
7. Investment Analysis
8. Future of Advanced Metering Infrastructure Market
- Landis+Gyr Group Ag
- Elster Group Gmbh (Honeywell Intenational Inc)
- Hexing Electric Company Ltd
- Aclara Technologies Llc.
- Arad Group
- Silver Spring Networks (Itron Inc.)
- Nsoft SA
- Schneider Electric Se
- Sensus USD Inc.
- Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd
- Trilliant Inc.