Increasing application in vast range of industries and growing demand from packaging industry in Asia-Pacific are expected to drive the market. Moreover, growing environmental awareness is also expected to drive the PU hot-melt adhesive market, globally. Most solvent-based adhesives contain flammable solvents that require critical precautions for safe handling.
Growing Environmental Awareness
Environmental awareness is one of the other factors driving the market. Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) emissions in adhesives is a matter of concern. Constant push from regulatory authorities, such as EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) and REACH (Registration, Evaluation, Authorization, and Restriction of Chemicals), is likely to limit the use of solvent-borne adhesives to reduce the impact on the environment. The industry has shifted its focus toward the development of bio-based adhesives. Major adhesives manufacturers have been forming joint ventures and are collaborating with top biotechnology firms, to gain competitive advantage and further sustainability. Manufacturers are increasingly investing in manufacturing and product development programs to engineer eco-friendly adhesives, based on vegetable oils, organic starch, soy, and water. The manufacture of polyurethane adhesives derived from microbial processes and fermentation is growing in popularity. Thus, it is expected to drive the PU hot-melt adhesives market.
Innovative Product Development to Gain Competitive Edge
Innovation always leads to new trends and higher achievements, in terms of brand experience and revenue. The superior quality and features offered by PU hot-melt adhesives have made it popular among consumers. Henkel has developed a PUR hot-melt for spine, side, and end-paper gluing (with an iso-cyanate concentration of less than 0.1%), which lies far below the legal hazard labelling threshold. It meets the stringent environmental regulations of the Scandinavian countries. The product also complies with REACH, the European regulation on chemicals. Jowat, one of the leading suppliers of industrial adhesives, developed a new unfilled PUR hot-melt adhesive to meet the highest requirements for quality and appearance in edge banding. Furthermore, the adoption of bio-based polyurethane hot-melt adhesives and the recovering construction industry in the region will offer numerous opportunities for the growth of the market.
The global hot-melt adhesives market has been segmented on the basis of type into - polyethylene, polyolefins, polyamide, polyurethanes, ethylene vinyl acetate, and others. On the basis of application, the market has been segmented into packaging, automotive, footwear, construction & furniture, bookbinding, electronics & electrical assembly, non-woven application (baby diapers, training pants, female hygiene pads, adult incontinence products, personal care, medical, filters, automotive interiors, packaging, leisure and sportswear, rescue services outer wear, home textiles, others), and others. The market has also been geographically segmented into Asia-Pacific, North America, Europe, South America, and the Middle East. In terms of consumption in 2016, North America held a significant share, followed by Europe and Asia-Pacific.
Key Developments in the Market
- January 2018: The Lubrizol Corporation's Engineered Polymers business announced the launch of two new thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU) resins for hot-melt adhesives (HMAs). These recent developments belong to the plasticizer-free Pearlbond(TM) 300 TPU series - soft polymer solutions.
- June 2017: Sika Corporation announced the launch of SikaMelt-9677 to the US market. SikaMelt-9677 is a reactive polyurethane hot-melt adhesive that cures on exposure to atmospheric humidity and forms a durable elastomer.
- September 2017: DowDuPont™ announced the successful completion of the merger of equals between The Dow Chemical Company (“Dow”) and E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company (“DuPont”).
Reasons to Purchase this Report
- Current and future global polyurethane hot-melt adhesives market outlook in the developed and emerging markets
- Analyzing various perspectives of the market with the help of Porter’s five forces analysis
- The segment that is expected to dominate the market
- Regions that are expected to witness fastest growth during the forecast period
- Identify the latest developments, market shares, and strategies employed by the major market players
- 3 months analyst support, along with the Market Estimate sheet (in excel).
This report can be customized to meet your requirements.
1.1 Research Phases
1.2 Study Deliverables
1.3 Scope of the Report
2. Executive Summary
3. Market Insights
3.1 Industry Value-Chain Analysis
3.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter’s Five Forces Analysis
3.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
3.2.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
3.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
3.2.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
3.2.5 Degree of Competition
3.3 Regulatory Policies
4. Market Dynamics
4.1.1 Increasing Applications in a Vast Range of Industries
4.1.2 Growing Environmental Awareness
4.1.3 Growing Demand from Packaging and Electronics Industry in Asia-Pacific
4.2.1 Volatility in Availability and Price of Raw Material
4.2.2 Decrease in Demand in Russia and France
4.2.3 Other Restraints
4.3.1 Rising Demand for Bio-based PU hot melt adhesives
4.3.2 Innovative Product Development, to Gain Competitive Edge
5. Market Segmentation and Analysis (Market Size, Growth, & Forecast)
5.1 By Type
5.2 By Application
5.2.3 Furniture (Woodworking)
6. Regional Market Analysis (Market Size, Growth, & Forecast)
6.1.3 South Korea
6.1.6 Australia & New Zealand
6.1.7 Rest of Asia-Pacific
6.2.2 United Kingdom
6.2.7 Rest of Europe
6.3 North America
6.3.1 United States
6.3.4 Rest of North America
6.4 South America
6.4.3 Rest of South America
6.5 Middle-East and Africa
6.5.1 Saudi Arabia
6.5.2 South Africa
6.5.3 Rest of Middle East and Africa
7. Future of the Market
8. Competitive Landscape
8.1 Mergers & Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
8.2 Market Share Analysis**
8.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
9. Company Profiles (Overview, Financials**, Products & Services, and Recent Developments)
9.1 3M Company
9.2 Adhesive Technologies Inc.
9.3 American Chemical
9.4 Arkema Group (Bostik SA)
9.5 BASF SE
9.6 Bühnen Gmbh & Co. KG
9.7 Collano Adhesives AG
9.8 Covestro AG
9.9 Delo Industrial Adhesives
9.10 DIC Corporation
9.12 Franklin International
9.13 H.B. Fuller
9.14 Henkel AG & CO., KGaA
9.15 Huntsman Corporation
9.16 Illinois Tool Works Inc.
9.17 Jowat SE
9.18 Klebchemie GmbH & Co. KG
9.19 Lord Corporation
9.20 Pidilite Industries Ltd.
9.21 Royal Adhesives & Sealants
9.22 Sika AG
9.23 Tex Year Industries Inc
9.24 The Dow Chemical Company
9.25 Tse Industries
9.26 Uniseal, Inc.
** subject to availability on public domain
- 3M Company
- Adhesive Technologies Inc.
- American Chemical
- Arkema Group (Bostik SA)
- BASF SE
- Bühnen Gmbh & Co. KG
- Collano Adhesives AG
- Covestro AG
- Delo Industrial Adhesives
- DIC Corporation
- Sika AG
- H.B. Fuller
- Henkel AG & CO.
- Jowat SE