Seoul, Gyeonggi-do and Gyeongsangnam-do contribute 51.2% to the country’s GDP and comprise 50.4% of the South Korea’s population
Mining, manufacturing and utilities contributed 32.9% to the gross value added (GVA) in 2016, followed by financial intermediation, real estate and business activities (20.8%) and wholesale, retail and hotels (11.0%). In nominal terms, the three sectors are expected to grow by 5.3%, 5.0% and 5.1% respectively in 2017-18.
- South Korea ranked19th out of 136 nations in the MLCRI Q3 2017. The country’s score is in the very low risk nations band (below 30)
- More than 50% of total FDI inflows in South Korea were from Asian nations in 2015
- The South Korean government envisages spending US$118.2 bn by 2020 on developing and modernizing infrastructure facilities in the country
- Macroeconomic Outlook Report identifies the potentials of the country as an investment destination by analyzing the political, economic, social, technological, legal and environmental (PESTLE) structure.
- PESTLE Insights provides 360 degree view of the economy which can be used as a strategic tool to understand the market dynamics, business potentials and direction of operations
- Along with providing the country’s snapshot, the report captures the risk factors pertaining to the macroeconomic risks, political environment, legal environment, demographic and social structure effectiveness, technology & infrastructure and natural and geographic aspects that might impact business.
- This report also highlights key clusters/cities which contribute significantly to the country GDP and population along with major companies’ presence in these areas.
Did you Know?
List of Figures
Exhibit 1: South Korea’s Performance in Country Risk Analysis in Comparison To Emerging Asia and the World
Exhibit 2: Performance Overview (Score: 1-100)
Exhibit 3: Broad Categories and Weights behind the Index
EXHIBIT 4: KOSPI Composite Index (^KS11)
Exhibit 5: Key Sectors Contribution to the Economy
Exhibit 6: FDI Inflows (2012-2016), FDI Inflows Share by Sector (2015) and FDI by Sector (2013-2015)
Exhibit 7: FDI by Continent and Country (2013-2015)
Exhibit 8: Key Infrastructure Indicators
Exhibit 9: Real GDP and Household Consumption Growth Rate
Exhibit 10: Real GDP Growth Rate Comparison (2016)
Exhibit 11: Export, Import and Trade Balance
Exhibit 12: Current Account Balance
Exhibit 13: Top Three Commodity Exports, % of Total Exports, 2014-2016
Exhibit 14: Electrical Machinery and Equipment, % of World Total, 2016
Exhibit 15: Interest Rates
Exhibit 16: Exchange Rate
Exhibit 17: Public Finance
Exhibit 18: General Government Debt
Exhibit 19: Employment/Unemployment
Exhibit 20: Average Annual Wages
Exhibit 21: Labour Cost Index
Exhibit 22: Rural/Urban Share in Total Population
Exhibit 23: Age-group Wise of Total Population
Exhibit 24: Gender Split
Exhibit 25: Internet Users % of Total Population, Mobile Penetration Rate and Broadband Penetration Rate, 2016
Exhibit 26: Number of Patents Granted Per M Inhabitants, 2015
Exhibit 27: High-technology exports (% of manufactured exports)
Exhibit 28: Doing Business in South Korea2018
Exhibit 29: Corruption Perception Index (Rankings) 2016
Exhibit 30: CO2 Emissions 37