Media streaming devices are connected, unmanaged devices whose primary purpose is to receive on-demand content via the Internet and display it on a television screen.
Demand for media streaming devices originally derived from cord-cutters looking for convenient, cost-effective ways to access entertainment content with a lean back experience.
Media streaming device shipments worldwide sold well over the last 4-5 years due to an expansion of streaming entertainment services with growing content libraries, new, yearly product introductions with upgraded capabilities, and because of discontent with advertising on broadcast television and dissatisfaction at the increasing faster-than-inflation costs of cable and satellite pay television.
The publisher expects unit shipments for the global media streaming devices market to increase from 48.7 million in 2017 to 122.7 million in 2023, at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 16.6 percent over the forecast period.
There are indications that continued growth will slow slightly as products saturate mature markets until newer television technologies, such as 4K resolution and high dynamic range, coupled with good broadband access, become more widespread across the globe.
Media streaming device adoption depends heavily on underlying entertainment streaming services, like Netflix and Hulu, and ecosystems like Amazon Prime, Apple iTunes, the Google Play Store, and Roku’s Fandango Now.
As entertainment consumers also have the option to watch content on phones, tablets, desktops, and laptops, media streaming device adoption also depends on consumer viewing habits with many preferring a lean back experience for various short and long-form content.
The global market has been segmented into North America, Latin America (NALA), Europe, the Middle East, and Africa (EMEA), and Asia-Pacific (APAC).
This market insight covers the following:
- Global market trend analyses, including market drivers and restraints.
- Detailed unit shipment forecasts for the total media streaming devices market.
- Competitive analysis, in terms of major participants and market share.
The base year of this media streaming devices insight is 2017, with forecasts running up to 2023. The research highlights key trends impacting the global media streaming devices market and outlines future implications.
Key Issues Addressed:
- Will the market continue to increase at its present rate over the forecast period? What are the drivers and restraints for growth in this market?
- Where does media streaming device technology stand today and going forward? What are the primary challenges faced by vendors addressing this market?
- How can vendors overcome these challenges? How do vendor ecosystems factor into this market?
- What does the current competitive landscape look like? Will there be consolidation over the next 4-5 years? Is the market attractive for mergers and acquisitions?
- What are the revenue breakdowns by geographical regions - NALA / EMEA / APAC? Which are the fastest growing regions?
1. Executive Summary
- Key Findings
- Market Engineering Measurements
- Global Market Life Cycle Analysis
- Research Scope
- Market Overview-Regions Covered
- Digital Media Value Chain Coverage
3. Drivers and Restraints-Media Streaming Devices Market
- Market Drivers
- Market Restraints
4. Forecast and Trends-Media Streaming Devices Market
- Media Streaming Devices-Forecasting Methodology
- Unit Shipment Forecast
- Percent Unit Shipment Forecast by Region
- Unit Shipment Forecast by Region
- Unit Shipment Discussion
5. Market Share and Competitive Analysis-Media Streaming Devices Market
- Competitive Analysis-Market Share
- Market Share Analysis
- Competitive Structure and Tiers of Competition
- Competitive Environment
- Selected Other Vendors-Media Streaming Devices
6. Growth Opportunities and Companies to Action
- Growth Opportunity 1-Streamers as AI Assistants
- Growth Opportunity 2-Platform Consolidation
- Growth Opportunity 3-4K/HDR Television Adoption
- Strategic Imperatives for Success and Growth
7. Conclusion and The Last Word
- The Last Word-Predictions
- Legal Disclaimer
- List of Exhibits
- Market Engineering Measurements