While the overall LCD TV market has reached a certain level of maturity and has been experiencing shipment declines in many regions, the emergence of 4K TVs is driving demand in developed markets as well as price-sensitive countries like China. Unit shipment for the global smart TVs market is expected to increase from 193.7 million in 2017 to 249.9 million in 2023, at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 4.3%.
As the costs of smart TVs - especially high-end TVs that feature large screen sizes and boast of features like 4K, HDR, Dolby Vision, curved displays, and bezel-free designs - continue to sharply drop year-on-year, vendors are rapidly pushing replacements and upgrades to consumers. Unit shipment for 4K TVs continued to grow at a double-digit rate, far outpacing lower-resolution displays like 1080p and 720p. As high-dynamic range (HDR) significantly enhances viewing quality for 4K and HD, this area is seeing growing interest.
For all vendors, the goal is to create a best-in-class app ecosystem and to differentiate their TV models to command a premium over other competing UHD and 1080p models. Curved screens are making a splash as well, with screens in sizes ranging from 50 inches to well over 100 inches. Global vendors like Samsung and LG Electronics, as well as Chinese vendors like Hisense and TCL, now possess extensive 4K TV product portfolios and offer support to stream content through apps. This was reflected in 2017 CES announcements that further cemented UHDTVs as the standard for smart TVs, going forward.
This market insight covers the following:
- Global market trend analyses-including market drivers and restraints
- Detailed unit shipment forecasts for the total smart TVs market
- A competitive landscape, in terms of major participants and market share analysis
- Geographic Segmentation: The global market has been segmented into North America/Latin America (NALA), Asia-Pacific (APAC), and Europe, the Middle East, and Africa (EMEA).
The base year is 2017, with forecasts running up to 2023. The research highlights key trends impacting the global smart TVs market and outlines future implications.
Key Issues Addressed
- Will the market continue to grow over the forecast period? If so, at what rate?
- Where does smart TV technology stand today?
- What are the primary challenges faced by vendors addressing this market?
- What are the drivers and restraints for market growth?
- What does the current competitive landscape look like?
- Is market concentration a restraint? Is the market attractive for mergers and acquisitions?
- What are the revenue breakups by geographical regions - NALA/EMEA/APAC? Which are the fastest growing?
1. Executive Summary
- Key Findings
- Market Engineering Measurements
- Introduction and Definitions
- Global Market Lifecycle Analysis
- Research Scope
- Market Overview - Regions Covered
- Digital Media Value Chain Coverage
- Key Questions this Insight will Answer
3. External Challenges - Drivers and Restraints: Smart TVs Market
- Market Drivers
- Market Restraints
4. Forecast and Trends - Smart TVs Market
- Market Engineering Measurements
- Forecast Methodology
- Unit Shipment Forecast
- Percent Unit Shipment Forecast by Region
- Unit Shipment Forecast by Region
- Unit Shipment Discussion
5. Market Share and Competitive Analysis - Smart TVs Market
- Competitive Analysis - Market Share
- Market Share Analysis
- Competitive Structure and Tiers of Competition
- Competitive Environment
- Competitive Landscape Analysis
- Competitive Factors and Assessment
6. Growth Opportunities and Companies to Action
- Growth Opportunity 1 - Differentiating Features/Services
- Growth Opportunity 2 - Strategic Acquisitions
- Growth Opportunity 3 - Connected Smart Home Future
- Strategic Imperatives for Success and Growth
7. The Last Word
- The Last Word - Predictions
8. Legal Disclaimer
- List of Exhibits