But as leading China environmental expert Barbara Finamore explains, it is anything but easy. The fundamental economic and political challenges that China faces in addressing its domestic environmental crisis threaten to derail its low–carbon energy transition. Yet there is reason for hope. China s leaders understand that transforming the world s second largest economy from one dependent on highly polluting heavy industry to one focused on clean energy, services and innovation is essential, not only to the future of the planet, but to China s very survival and their own.
- List of Abbreviations
- Introduction: China: The New Climate Torchbearer?
- Chapter One: China s Climate Diplomacy
- Chapter Two: Dethroning Old King Coal
- Chapter Three: Catalyzing the Clean Energy Revolution
- Chapter Four: Jumpstarting the Electric Vehicle Industry
- Chapter Five: Greening China s Financial System
- Epilogue: China in the Driving Seat