International Trade Scenario
International trade accounts for only 12 percent of world maize production. Global trade in maize has increased significantly over the past two decades, from 55 million tonnes to around 80 million tonnes, with the fastest expansion taking place in more recent years. The structure of the world maize market can be characterized as one with a high level of concentration in terms of exports but very low concentration on the import side. The main reason for this development is the fact that those countries which usually have significant maize surpluses for exports are relatively few in number, while those relying on international markets to meet their needs for domestic animal feeding purposes by importing maize (as a primary feed ingredient) are many. The United States is the world’s largest maize exporter which accounts for roughly 60 percent of the global share, down from over 70 percent a decade ago, followed by Argentina and China. Brazil, South Africa and Ukraine are among a few other countries which often have surpluses for exports.
North America dominates the Maize/Corn Seed Market
North America led by United States, has established itself as the most important region for global corn seed trade. Over the past decade, US maize/corn seed market has been growing in quantity and value. While US is the major corn seed exporter, Italy, Mexico, Canada, France, and Spain are the largest importers of U.S. corn seed. More than 90% of the corn seed market of the region is dominated with GM corn seeds.
Maize an Essential Ingredient in Animal Feed
Maize products as feed ingredients have also gained more importance over the past two decades mainly in response to rising demand from the livestock sector, which itself has undergone major structural changes; gaining efficiency through vertical integration with feeding becoming increasingly concentrated and feedlots largely controlled by the commercial sector rather than the farm. Improvements and innovations in maize milling process have helped to keep up with the industry’s increasing demand for more nutritious feed ingredients.
Key Developments in the Market
- 2017: Bayer has recently purchased Monsanto for USD 66 billion. The merger will result in world’s largest seed and Agriculture Company.
- 2017: The Bayer-Monsanto merger would raise seed prices for farmers through market integration and anticompetition tactics.
Reasons to Purchase this Report
- To understand the growth trends and forecast for 2018 - 2023 in the global maize/corn seed market. The information is crucial to understand the market’s functionalities and the changes which are possible to follow.
- Analyzing various perspectives of the market with the help of Porter’s five forces analysis
- Major developments in the market are identified in the study, which helps the clients to understand the nature and scope of this market from a macro perspective.
- The information regarding market overview, especially in terms of maturity provided in the study, is essential toward developing apt growth strategies suitable for the region considered in the study.
- Identify the latest developments, market shares and strategies employed by the major market players.
- 3 months analyst support along with the Market Estimate sheet in excel.
- Countries of client’s interest can be included in report based on feasibility of report.
- Companies of client’s interest can be included in report based on feasibility of report.
1.1 Market Definition
1.2 Key Findings of the Study
2. Research Scope & Methodology
2.1 Study Deliverables
2.2 Study Assumptions
2.3 Research Methodology
2.4 Research Phases
3. Market Dynamics
3.1.1 Maize is the third most planted crop in the world
3.1.2 Maize is most genetically customized and technologically developed crops
3.2.1 Lower commodity prices impact the value growth of corn seed market
3.3 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
3.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
3.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
3.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
3.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
3.3.5 Degree of Competition
4. Market Segmentation
4.1 By Geography
4.1.1 North America
4.1.4 South America
184.108.40.206 South Africa
5. Competitive Landscape
5.1 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
5.2 Most Active Companies in the Past Five Years
5.3 Market Share Analysis
6. Company Profiles
6.2 Bayer CropScience AG
6.3 E. I. du Pont de Nemours (DuPont)
6.4 Dow AgroSciences
6.5 Monsanto Company
6.7 Nuziveedu Seeds
6.8 CP Seed
6.9 DLF Trifoliu
6.10 China National Seed
6.11 Pacific Seeds
6.12 Hefei Fengbao
6.13 ICI Seeds
7. Future Outlook of the Market
- Bayer CropScience AG
- E. I. du Pont de Nemours (DuPont)
- Dow AgroSciences
- Monsanto Company
- Nuziveedu Seeds
- CP Seed
- DLF Trifolium
- China National Seed
- Pacific Seeds
- Hefei Fengbao
- ICI Seeds