Currently, standalone, media player, and USB pico projectors have a higher demand than embedded projectors, as they are yet to capture the market. Technologies incorporated in pico projectors are Liquid Crystal-on-Silicon (LCoS), Laser-Beam-Steering (LBS), and Digital Light Processing (DLP). The major components that comprise a pico projector are optics, batteries, and a lighting source. The manufacturing sector of pico projector systems market has seen a slight decline in the last few years because of the plunging cost of electronic goods. The general market outlook remains fairly positive, although the degree of the competitive rivalry has grown substantially over the last few years. The market can be characterized by high levels of fragmentation, moderate to high-product differentiation, increased rate of adoption of display gadgets in the Asia-Pacific.
Increased Adaption of the Digital Light Processing (DLP) Technology
DLP projectors rely primarily on a DLP chip, or digital micromirror device (DMD), which comprises of up to two million tiny mirrors, where each mirror is one-fifth the width of a human hair. A DLP projector with three-chip architecture can project up to 35 trillion colors. Being light-source agnostic, DLP technology can effectively use a variety of light sources. Typically, the main DLP light source is a replaceable high-pressure xenon arc lamp unit. Alternatively, pico DLP projectors use high-power LEDs or lasers.
Evolving consumer choices are leading to the introduction of product variants, addition of product specifications, and the incorporation of new sources. A typical projector works on the principle of the source on which image is projected. The light source is of several distinct technologies, such as optics, sensors, digital electronics, communications, and industrial engineering. For effective functioning, the hardware and software components need to work in a close tandem. The change of production lines may cause a difference in lighting, capture angles, and the position that may require changes in the placement of lighting source. This has been a major challenge for pico projector vendors as the most end-user applications are expected to demonstrate dynamic changes during the forecast period. The incorporation of new technologies into the automotive sector is expected to pose a positive effect on the pico projector market, as many automotive manufactures are employing high-quality image projection systems in their vehicles. With pico DLP projector that can produce high-quality images, the advancements in the autonomous car technology are fueling the growth of the overall pico DLP projector systems market.
Investments and Demand Have Made North America the Biggest Market
North America is likely to dominate the global pico projector market, during the forecast period. The major factors driving the scale and growth of the North American market are the investments in the consumer market, as well as the strong domestic consumption in the automotive, healthcare, and education and research markets. Also, a lot of discussions have surrounded the new applications of this technology, particularly in life sciences, intelligent traffic systems, and vision-guided robotics. The region with a vast IT infrastructure has boosted the smart devices market, regarding the enhancement of factors, like mobility and making high-speed internet available to users. However, this can affect the data storage and efficiency of these devices. Pico projector systems provide effective solutions for data presentation and analysis, thereby improving the efficiency of the existing technologies.
The United States remains a major market for pico projectors in North America. Improvement in the economy is likely to fuel up investments in the R&D activities for advanced technologies while affecting the growth of the pico projector market. Being the biggest economy in the world, with the presence of some large enterprises and highly informed customers, the United States is one of the most favorable destinations for vendors to invest.
Key Developments in the Market
- January 2018 - At the Consumer Electronics Show CES, Sony Electronics launched the 4K Ultra Short Throw Projector (LSPX-A1. Set up just 9.6 inches from the wall, the Ultra Short Throw technology of the LSPX-A1 provides up to 120" (dia.) of image displayed directly on a wall, with the high brightness of 2500 lumens laser projection. Utilizing 4K SXRD projection and HDR technology, LSPX-A1 produces native 4K resolution (4096 x 2160) with unprecedented detail, color, and contrast. LSPX-A1 is expected to be available in the United States by spring 2018, and the price is expected to be around USD 30,000.
- September 2017 - Anker Technology, a developer of connected devices to support smarter audio that drives the emerging smart home space, launched the Nebula Capsule on Indiegogo. Small and mighty, the Nebula Capsule is the only Android 7.0 base smart DLP projector designed for dual use. It can turn any mobile device into an immersive shared cinematic experience as well as function as a standalone high-quality Bluetooth speaker.
Reasons to Purchase this Report
- Current and future of pico projector market outlook in the developed and emerging markets
- Analyzing various perspectives of the market with the help of Porter’s five forces analysis
- The segment that is expected to dominate the market
- Regions that are expected to witness fastest growth during the forecast period
- Identify the latest developments, market shares and strategies employed by the major market players.
- 3 months analyst support along with the Market Estimate sheet (in excel).
This report can be customized to meet your requirements..
1.1 Key Deliverables of the Study
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Research Methodology
2. Executive Summary
3. Market Insights
3.1 Market Overview
3.2 Industry Value Chain Analysis
3.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
3.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
3.3.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
3.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
3.3.4 Threat of Substitutes
3.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4. Market Dynamics
4.1.1 Embedding Pico Projector into Consumer Electronics
4.1.2 Decrease in the Chipset Size
4.2.1 High Cost and Limited Features
4.2.2 Rising Concerns Over Effects on Vision by 3D and HD Display Technologies
5. Global Pico Projector Market Segmentation
5.1 By Product Type
5.1.1 USB Pico Projector
5.1.2 Embedded Pico Projector
5.1.3 Media Player Pico Projector
5.1.4 Stand-alone Pico Projector
5.2 By Technology
5.2.1 Digital Light Processing
5.2.3 Laser Beam Steering
5.2.4 Holographic Laser Projection
5.3 By Application
5.3.1 Hand Gesture Recognition
5.3.2 Pointer-based Computer Control
5.3.3 3D Pico Projector
5.3.4 Mobile Devices
5.4 By End-user Industry
5.4.1 Consumer Electronics
5.4.3 Defence & Aerospace
5.4.6 Media & Entertainment
5.5 By Component
5.5.1 Light Source
5.5.4 MEMS Technology
5.6 By Geography
5.6.1 North America
126.96.36.199 United States
188.8.131.52 United Kingdom
184.108.40.206 Rest of Europe
220.127.116.11 South Korea
18.104.22.168 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.6.4 Latin America
22.214.171.124 Rest of Latin America
5.6.5 Middle East & Africa
126.96.36.199 United Arab Emirates
188.8.131.52 Saudi Arabia
184.108.40.206 Rest of the Middle East & Africa
5.6.6 Competitive Intelligence - Company Profiles
6. Aaxa Technologies, Inc.
6.1 Acer, Inc.
6.2 Aiptek International, Inc.
6.3 Coretronic Corporation
6.4 Lemoptix Sa (Acquired by INTEL in 2015 for undisclosed sum)
6.5 Microvision, Inc.
6.6 Sony Corporation
6.7 STMicroelectronics NV
6.8 Syndiant, Inc.
6.9 Texas Instruments, Inc.
6.12 LG Electronics
6.14 Investment Outlook
7. Recent Mergers and Acquisitions
7.1 Investor Outlook
7.2 Futureof the Global Pico Projector Market
- Aaxa Technologies Inc.
- Acer Inc.
- Aiptek International Inc.
- Coretronic Corporation
- Lemoptix Sa (Acquired by INTEL in 2015 for undisclosed sum)
- Microvision Inc.
- Sony Corporation
- STMicroelectronics N.V.
- Syndiant Inc.
- Texas Instruments Inc.
- Philips NV
- LG Electronics