Development of Motion Control Gaming Driving the Market
The gaming industry is one of the major contributors to the global market. The gaming industry can be categorized into console gaming and PC gaming. PC gaming does not make much use of motion control gaming, when compared to consoles. The three major console developers, Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo, bundle and sell gesture recognition devices along with the console. Through the use of accelerometers and gyroscopes, many third-party developers have produced motion control gaming for smartphones, over the past. This trend seems to be growing stronger than ever, as the limitations of smart phones keep on decreasing. The most notable game to make use of gesture recognition was ‘Temple Run’. This prompted more and more developers to make similar games. Lately, Pokémon Go, an augmented reality game that relies on motion control, received much acclaim worldwide and was one of the most played mobile games of all time. Technological advancements have led to the development of virtual reality, augmented reality, and mixed reality headsets, which rely heavily on gesture controls. The number of motion control games is poised to increase further, with the availability of VR and MR headsets.
Gaming Consoles Expected to Dominate the Market Landscape
Technological advancements have enabled several major companies in the media & entertainment industry to explore the technology of gesture recognition, offering a platform to develop interactive and unique technologies. Such developments have paved the way for a whole new world of gaming, for various types of gamers worldwide. Microsoft and Sony are two key companies which introduced their gesture recognition products, called the Kinect for Xbox One and PlayStation Move, through which motion games (such as Kinect Sports Rivals) can be played. Owing to this technology, many organizations, game developers, and third-party app developers have started developing games or apps that can support the technology, indirectly boosting the growth of this market.
North America Dominating the Market
Owing to the increasing adoption of the technology in various industries, such as media & entertainment, healthcare, and others, North America has been the major contributor toward the revenue generated by the global market, during the last few years. The demand for the technology in this region is expected to witness a healthy growth during the forecast period. The United States is one of the largest markets for the media & entertainment industry. Many major companies that make use of the technology are based out of the United States, like Microsoft, whose product, the Microsoft HoloLens, is a breakthrough in the mixed reality technology. The HoloLens relies heavily on the implementation of gesture recognition. Owing to the demanding tasks of the manual operation of machineries, gesture recognition is being planned to be implemented in the industrial sector. Increasing application of gesture recognition solutions in the industrial sector is expected to result in a significant impact on the gesture recognition market.
Key Developments in the Market
- December 2017 - Sony launched back-illuminated, time-of-flight (ToF) image sensor, which delivers high resolution depth maps in high degrees of accuracy from a close distance.
- June 2017 - Omron Corporation launched super-sensitive MEMS thermal sensor with narrow-field version, particularly designed for providing accurate non-contact measurements of objects.
- March 2017 - Microsoft announced that the Windows Mixed Reality developer kits would be shipped from then onward.
- February 2017 - Infineon Technologies collaborated with XMOS Ltd, to provide new building block for voice recognition, which also has a combination of radar and silicon microphone sensors.
Reasons to Purchase this Report
- Understanding how the growing consumer electronics market is expected to drive the demand for gesture recognition.
- Analyzing various perspectives of the market with the help of Porter’s five forces analysis.
- The application segment that is expected to dominate the market.
- The regions that are expected to witness the fastest growth during the forecast period.
- Identify the latest developments, market shares, and strategies employed by the major market players.
- 3 months analyst support along with the Market Estimate sheet (in excel).
1.1 Key Deliverables of the Study
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Market Definition
1.4 Key Findings of the Study
2. Research Approach and Methodology
3. Executive Summary
4. Market Dynamics
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Factors Driving the Market
4.3 Factors Restraining the Market
4.4 Market Opportunities
4.5 Industry Attractiveness – Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.5.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.5.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.5.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.5.4 Threat of Substitute Products or Services
4.5.5 Competitive Rivalry among Existing Competitors
5. Global Gesture Recognition Market Segmentation
5.1 By Technology
5.1.1 Touch-based Gesture Recognition
5.1.2 Touchless Gesture Recognition
5.2 By Industry
5.2.3 Consumer Electronics
5.2.5 Aerospace & Defense
5.2.6 Other Industries
5.3 By Geography
5.3.1 North America
5.3.4 Latin America
5.3.5 Middle East & Africa
188.8.131.52 Competitive Intelligence – Company Profiles
6. GestureTek Inc.
6.1 Intel Corporation
6.2 Apple Inc.
6.3 Microsoft Corporation
6.4 Google Inc.
6.5 Cognitec Systems GmbH
6.6 Omron Corporation
6.7 Infineon Technologies AG
6.8 SoftKinetic SA
6.9 Elliptic Laboratories AS
6.10 Crunchfish AB
6.11 Sony Corporation
6.12 Investment Analysis
7. Outlook of the Global Gesture Recognition Market
- GestureTek Inc.
- Intel Corporation
- Apple Inc.
- Microsoft Corporation
- Google Inc.
- Cognitec Systems GmbH
- Omron Corporation
- Infineon Technologies AG
- SoftKinetic SA
- Elliptic Laboratories AS
- Crunchfish AB
- Sony Corporation