The attributes, like light weight, biodegradability, and recyclability, are the advantages of paper packaging that make them an essential component in today’s modern life. Paper packaging is a versatile and cost-efficient method to protect, preserve, and transport a wide range of products. In addition, it can be customizable to meet the customer or product-specific needs.
Every product, from electronics to food, beverage, and cosmetics, can be packaged using paper, such as corrugated container boxes are used to ship and transport electronics, fragile glassware, and perishable goods. Moreover, the rising consumer consciousness, regarding sustainable packaging, along with the strict regulations being imposed by various environmental protection agencies, regarding the use environment-friendly packaging products, is driving the market for paper packaging. The fact that the developed economies in North America and Europe possess strong paper-recycling capabilities, supported by established infrastructure, has driven the rate of adoption of paper-based packaging. In addition, the rapid growth of online shopping and delivery-on-demand services have fueled the usage of cardboard and paper-based bags.
Regulations, Regarding the Use of Environment-friendly Products, to drive the Market
The environment-friendly packaging solutions have become a norm rather than an exception for packaging companies across the world. Profound changes in corporate standards, governmental policies, trade regulations , and consumer tastes have led to a paradigm shift toward eco-friendly solutions in the packaging market. France has banned the use of plastic bags since July 2016. According to the French Government, about 5 billion plastic bags are distributed at tills and 12 billion are used to pack fruit and vegetables. Many of these bags end up in oceans, where they are life-threatening to the marine life. The non-biodegradability of plastics and their harmful environmental effects have led to the commissioning of regulations that are banning the use of plastics. This factor marks a potential for the growth of paper packaging market.
All the major guidelines on packaging focus on toughness, recyclability, processing, and lightness of the materials. There are several governmental and trade bodies, such as FDA, Fair Packaging and Labelling Act, and federal regulations, entrusted with the task of framing these regulations.
Food and Beverages to Account for a Significant Portion of the Market
A fierce competition exists between the quality-product providers in the food market. Due to this parameters, manufacturers in the food market are continuously making and delivering high-quality products. The increase in the number of hypermarkets and supermarkets is expected to be one of the key factors driving the growth of the paper and paperboard containers and packaging market over the coming years. A rapidly expanding organized-retail sector has led to an augmented demand for food and beverages and other consumer care products. Most retail stores use packaging materials not only to preserve food but also to retain the nutritional value of food. An increasing number of consumers are purchasing grocery items, including frozen and chilled foods, which, in turn, is expected to drive the growth of the paper packaging market.
The food manufacturing companies have become cautious and are making extra efforts in the packaging of products. Various ranges of packaging materials in the market are available to fulfill various packaging needs, like corrugated boxes and cardboard boxes.
Asia-Pacific to Contribute Significantly to the Market Growth in the Forecast Period
Increasing number of manufacturing plants all over the region, combined with the growing consumerism and transit packaging sector in Asia Pacific, is contributing to the growth of paper packaging market. In 2016, among the countries of Asia-Pacific, China occupied the largest market share and India is estimated to be the fastest growing market over the forecast period.
The Indian pharmaceutical manufacturing market is of immense importance as it facilities the manufacturing of generic drugs in India, in a cost effective manner to stay competitive in the market. This factor is making the pharmaceutical companies, across the world, to choose India as their manufacturing destination. Even the Government of India is taking steps to provide incentives in the form of soft loans for the up gradation of Schedule M facilities to WHO GMP compliant units, which leads to additional 1000 units certified as WHO GMP compliant, further boosting the packaging of cartons and folding boxes, thus, driving the market for paper packaging. Corrugated boxes segment is expected to dominate the APAC paper packaging market, owing to the escalating rate of exports and the developing logistics sector of the country. Strong growth in sectors, like fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG) and cosmetics, due to the fast growing middle-class population along with organized retailing, is expected to spur the demand for paper packaging in the region.
Key Developments in the Market
- December 2017 - WestRock Company entered into agreements to acquire substantially all of the assets of Plymouth Packaging, Inc. The acquisition of Plymouth Packaging is expected to enhance WestRock’s innovation platform and differentiation strategy. The addition of the ‘Box on Demand’ system is expected to enhance WestRock’s automated packaging systems business and differentiation in e-commerce and other custom applications, where on-site box making is needed. The acquisition is also intended to improve the company’s margin profile, growth prospects in their corrugated packaging business.
- September 2017 - Evergreen Packaging debuted a fully renewable carton, part of its RenewablePlus Carton line, featuring sugarcane-based polyethylene. A part of the Evergreen Packaging family of FreshHouse cartons, the new RenewablePlus cartons underscore the company's commitment to developing sustainable packaging solutions from renewable materials.
Reasons to Purchase this Report
- Impact of opportunities offered by growth in flexible packaging
- Various perspectives of the market with the help of Porter’s five forces analysis
- Growth of various paper products, such as corrugated boards, paperboard
- Regional analysis of the market
- The latest developments, market shares, and strategies that are employed by the major market players
- 3 months analyst support along with the Market Estimate sheet (in excel)
This report can be customized to meet your requirements.
1.1 Scope of the Study
1.2 Executive Summary
2. Research Approach and Methodology
2.1 Key Deliverables of the Study
2.2 Study Assumptions
2.3 Analysis Methodology
2.4 Research Phases
3. Market Insights
3.1 Market Overview
3.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
3.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
3.2.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
3.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
3.2.4 Threat of Substitute Products or Services
3.2.5 Competitive Rivalry among Existing Competitors
3.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4. Market Dynamics
4.1 Market Drivers
4.1.1 Development of Barrier-coated Paperboard Products
4.1.2 Growing Consumer Awareness on Paper Packaging
4.2 Market Restraints
4.2.1 Effects of Deforestation on Paper Packaging
4.2.2 Rising Operational Costs
5. Technology Snapshot
6. Global Paper Packaging Market Segmentation
6.1 By Product
6.1.2 Container board
6.1.3 Corrugated board
6.1.4 Kraft Paperboard
6.2 By Industry Vertical
6.2.1 Food & Beverage
6.2.2 Personal Care
6.2.3 Home Care
6.3 By Region
6.3.1 North America
220.127.116.11 United States
18.104.22.168 United Kingdom
6.3.4 Latin America
6.3.5 Middle East & Africa
22.214.171.124 Saudi Arabia
7. Competitive Intelligence - Company Profiles
7.2 International Paper Company
7.4 Evergreen (Reynolds Group Holding Ltd)
7.5 Packaging Corporation of America
7.6 Amcor Ltd
7.7 Mondi Group
7.8 Sappi Ltd
7.9 DS Smith
7.10 Sonoco Corporation
7.11 Clearwater Inc.
7.12 Carauster Industries Inc.
7.13 Tetra PaK
8. Investment Analysis
9. Future of the Global Paper Packaging Market
- International Paper Company
- Evergreen (Reynolds Group Holding Ltd.)
- Packaging Corporation of America
- Amcor Ltd.
- Mondi Group
- Sappi Ltd.
- DS Smith
- Sonoco Corporation
- Clearwater Inc.
- Carauster Industries Inc.
- Tetra PaK