Mobile payment methods are expected to grow at a significant rate, owing to the increasing smartphone penetration and the various benefits associated with them, such as improved customer experience, which results in shorter waiting times in queues and wider payment offers to customers. Mobile payment can be performed either by SMS via QR codes, or Near Field Communication (NFC). Consumers are becoming increasingly familiar with using mobile phones for various purposes, including secure financial transactions via mobile applications, or web banking site. Furthermore, increasing adoption of mobile wallets in both emerging and developed countries is providing numerous opportunities for service providers and merchants. Mobile phones are also providing an unprecedented opportunity for the expansion of financial activity in the developing countries, where the number of phone users is expected to exceed the number of those having bank accounts. However, the mobile payment option increases the importance of a proper security for the system. Hence, the mobile payment security software market is expected to grow massively during the forecast period.
The driving factor for the market growth lies with the enhanced number of advanced and sophisticated threats. The need for mobile payment security software has increased, owing to the recent growing usage of wireless networks among individual consumers. The augmented utilization of wireless networks in mobile devices for payment in retail stores has increased the need for mobile payment security software.
The growing adoption of multi-factor authentication techniques are also expected to aid the growth of market. However, the government regulations and compliance, and retailer payment policies are expected to hinder the market growth.
Rapid Adoption of Mobile Biometrics is Driving the Growth of Mobile Security Software Market
The mobile biometrics market is expected to gain full maturity by 2022, due to a consumer adoption phase since 2015. It is expected that by 2022, these authentication systems may be ubiquitous and installed in almost every mobile phone. Integration of embedded software and sensors to secure the use of mobile biometric applications and components operate on mobile devices, like smartphones, tablets, and wearables, are also driving the mobile payment security software market. As the demand for mobile application security, particularly for financial services, along with low-cost apps and on-demand provisioning of software increases, the cost of biometric integration is expected to decline. Moreover, consumers' clamor to eliminate their reliance on passwords and pins is further driving the growth in the market.
Increased Emphasis on Safer and Shorter Transaction Time is Driving Adoption in the Retail Sector
Consumers are embracing mobile in their day-to-day lives and are more likely to forget their wallet at home than their mobile phone. Thus, the use of mobile payment for the retail industry is currently the booming sector. A key area of concern for consumers and financial service providers is the security of mobile banking and payments, which provides the mobile payment security software market scope for growth. Essentially, mobile payments are faster and more secure than conventional payments. All that is needed is a payment app to launch a transaction. As there is no need to use cards, the risk of point-of-sale (PoS) attacks, such as card skimmers, are eliminated.
The factor driving the adoption of these solutions in retail are innovations in the market that are shortening the transaction time while providing security, unlike other legacy measures. Usage of biometrics can prevent Internet fraud, money laundering, and identity theft. Consequently, many financial institutions across the world have been selecting biometric technologies in their retail banking operations.
Due to the increase in cyber terrorism, the security of sensitive data, including personal banking details, commercial banking details, and confidential corporate information, is at stake. As the banking industry decision makers chunk out huge IT budgets, the OEMs and software vendors have a huge opportunity in the vertical.
North America expected to Hold the Largest Share in the Market in 2018
North America is expected to account for more than 46% of the total market share by 2023. The major reason for the growth is attributed to the high penetration rate of smartphones and an increase in the number of mobile internet users. The adoption of mobile payment is increasing in the United States. Additionally, the increasing popularity and awareness about the usage of digital wallets for e-commerce transactions is also expected to enhance the growth of the North American market.
The continuous growth of the mobile payment market has become the driving force behind the development of the mobile payment security software market. Payment security is a major concern for cell phone manufacturers to sell their devices, and therefore, many new security software products are in development. In order to protect users’ mobile payment security, mobile security software developers not only vertically protect the safety of the whole industry, including terminal manufacturers, operators, application developers, and other developers, but also actively disseminate mobile security software ecosystems.
Key Developments in the Market
- January 2018 - Monzo, an API-first bank, launched an interim API (the AIS API) to comply with Europe's Payment Services Directive (PSD2), which recently became law. The AIS API includes three core functions: list of accounts, list of account's balance, and list of account's transactions (all features specifically addressed by PSD2). Monzo plans on building all features of the AIS API into its standard developer API, but that transition may take some time and the law requires compliance. The AIS API is available to companies authorized as Account Information Service Providers (AISPs) by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
- November 2017 - VASCO Data Security International Inc., announced that the Bank of Cyprus, the country’s largest bank, secured access and transaction signing on its mobile and online banking application using DIGIPASS for Apps. This solution enables the bank to take steps toward meeting the authentication requirements issued by the European Banking Authority (EBA) in the upcoming Payment Services Directive (PSD2) regulation.
Reasons to Purchase this Report
- Identification of key factors instrumental in changing the market scenario, exploiting new opportunities, and gaining competitive edge
- Analyzing various perspectives of the market with the help of Porter’s five forces analysis
- End-user industry that is likely to witness highest adoption of these software
- Regions that are expected to witness the fastest growth during the forecast period
- SWOT analysis for key players and a detailed study of their current strategic interests and key financial performance indicators
- 3 months analyst support, along with the Market Estimate sheet (in excel).
This report can be customized to meet your requirements.
1.1 Key Deliverables of the Study
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Market Definition
1.4 Key Findings of the Study
2. Research Approach and Methodology
3. Executive Summary
4. Market Dynamics
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Factors Driving the Market
4.2.1 Increased Emphasis on Safer and Shorter Transaction Time
4.2.2 Security Vulnerabilities in Third-party Mobile Payment Providers and Increased Security Breaches
4.2.3 Rapid Adoption of Mobile Biometrics
4.3 Factors Challenging the Market
4.3.1 Retailer Payment Policies
4.4 Technology Snapshot
4.5 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.6 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.6.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.6.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.6.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.6.4 Threat of Substitute Products or Services
4.6.5 Competitive Rivalry among Existing Competitors
5. Global Mobile Payment Security Software Market Segmentation
5.1 By End-User Industry
5.1.1 Telecom & Information Technology
5.1.2 Banking & Financial Service
5.1.6 Entertainment & Media
5.1.7 Others (Oil, Gas, Manufacturing, Healthcare)
5.2 By Geography
5.2.1 North America
5.2.4 Latin America
5.2.5 Middle East & Africa
6. Competitive Intelligence - Company Profiles
6.1 CA Technologies
6.2 VASCO Data Security International Inc.
6.3 UL Transaction Security
6.4 Symantec Corporation
6.5 Verifone Systems Inc.
6.6 MagTek Inc.
6.7 Dell EMC(Dell Inc.)
6.8 Vantiv(Worldpay Inc.)
6.9 NCR Corporation
6.10 Scansource Inc.
6.11 Fidelity National Information Services Inc.
6.12 Ingenico Group
6.13 FICO Enterprise
6.14 Chase Paymentech Solutions
7. Investment Analysis
8. Future of Mobile Payment Security Software Market
- CA Technologies
- VASCO Data Security International Inc.
- UL Transaction Security
- Symantec Corporation
- Verifone Systems Inc.
- MagTek Inc.
- Dell EMC(Dell Inc.)
- Vantiv(Worldpay Inc.)
- NCR Corporation
- Scansource Inc.
- Fidelity National Information Services Inc.
- Ingenico Group
- FICO Enterprise
- Chase Paymentech Solutions