Skin packaging is a process where heated film is draped over a product, and a vacuum is utilized to draw the film down onto the package, creating a secure and attractive package. It is a low-cost packaging option, and is used to protect the products during shipments, and display the products. Packaging, in smaller volume, is the trend that is observed lately. Increasing the shelf life has been the major goal of packaging companies, and therefore fresh products are increasingly packaged in skin films. The modern lifestyle of consumers has been forcing them to try to save time and money, which resulted in increasing demand for ready-to-eat products. This trend has encouraged the packaging companies to come up with diverse options for consumers, thereby driving the sales of packaging applications lucratively.
Asia-Pacific to Dominate the Food Industry
The food market in Asia-Pacific region was estimated to be USD 885.2 billion in 2016 and is projected to reach USD 1,216.5 billion by 2021, registering a CAGR of 6.6%. The sub-sectors that are expected to use skin packaging the most include- meat products & sausages, processed fish & seafood, and processed vegetables & fruits.
Packaging is globally accepted as a significant parameter for brand owners to market their products at stores and on e-commerce platforms. The meat counters in stores have always been a very traditional and staid part, which offers minimal opportunity to differentiate the brand. Captivating consumers’ attention has been one of the reasons for adopting skin packaging, among others. The secondary sealing of vacuum skin packaging is visually appealing for seafood and meat packagers. They also help to minimize the migration of liquids inside the packaging, for an appetizing and appealing presentation of the package.
Downsizing of Packaging to Drive the Growth of Skin Packaging Market
Due to globalization, increasing middle-class population, and changing lifestyles of people, there has been a huge demand in the packaging market. In the recent times, there has been a rising demand for miniaturization of packaging, due to the ready-to-eat convenience for customers. Due to an increase in the cost of raw materials, the size of food packaging has been shrinking. In every economic downturn, companies have been either reducing the size of the products or increasing the price of same-sized products. Consumers have become increasingly aware of the significance of recycling. Skin packaging, which is basically a combination of cardboard and plastic, can be separated after use. Smaller packages being environment-friendly, portable, and healthy, are preferred over bigger packages. As consumers are more sensitive to change in prices than that of quantity, companies opt for reducing the size of packages. Due to this extreme downsizing of packages, the skin packaging market (both vacuum and thermoforming) has undergone a fast-paced transformation.
Key Developments in the Market
- August 2017 - Sealed Air Corporation introduced OptiDure™ packaging technology combining two critical features: high-abuse resistance and abrasion protection, and will impact the fresh red meat, as well as smoked and processed meat segments
- February 2017 - Lintop launched LINTOP SKIN FILM range to enhance the performance and shelf-appeal of products.
- February 2017 - Clondalkin Flexible Packaging (CFP) launched an innovative stand up pouch with extended shelf life properties
Reasons to Purchase this Report
- Current and future of Global Skin Packaging Market outlook in the developed and emerging markets
- Analyzing various perspectives of the market with the help of Porter’s five forces analysis
- The segment that is expected to dominate the market
- Regions that are expected to witness fastest growth during the forecast period
- Latest developments, market shares and strategies employed by the major market players
- 3 month analyst support, along with the Market Estimate sheet (in Excel)
This report can be customized to meet your requirements. Please connect with our representative, who will ensure you to get a report that suits your needs.
1.1 Scope of the Study
1.2 Executive Summary
2. Research Approach and Methodology
2.1 Key Deliverables of the Study
2.2 Study Assumptions
2.3 Analysis Methodology
2.4 Research Phases
3. Market Insights
3.1 Market Overview
3.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
3.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
3.2.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
3.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
3.2.4 Threat of Substitutes
3.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
3.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4. Market Dynamics
4.1 Market Drivers
4.1.1 Rising Disposable Income
4.1.2 Downsizing of Packaging
4.1.3 Growing Demand for End-user Industries
4.2 Market Restraints
4.2.1 Restricted to Light-weighted items
4.2.2 Not suitable for Fragile items
5. Technology Snapshot
5.1 Thermoforming Skin Packaging
5.2 Vacuum Skin Packaging
6. Global Skin Packaging Market Segmentation
6.1 By End-user Vertical
6.1.1 Fast-moving Consumer Goods (Fmcg)
6.1.2 Food & Beverage
6.2 By Region
6.2.1 North America
22.214.171.124 Rest of Europe
126.96.36.199 Rest of Asia-Pacific
6.2.4 Rest Of The World
7. Competitive Intelligence - Company Profiles
7.1 Sealed Air Corporation
7.2 Berry Plastics Group Inc.
7.3 Bemis Company Inc.
7.4 West Rock Company
7.5 LINPAC Packaging Limited
7.6 Mondini SPA
7.7 Display Pack Inc.
7.8 Clondalkin Group Holdings B.V.
7.9 The DOW Chemical Company
7.10 E.I. Du Pont De Nemours and Company
*List is Not Exhaustive
8. Investment Analysis
9. Future Outlook of Skin Packaging Market
- Bemis Company Inc.
- Berry Plastics Group Inc.
- Clondalkin Group Holdings B.V.
- Display Pack Inc.
- E.I. Du Pont De Nemours and Company
- LINPAC Packaging Limited
- Mondini SPA
- Sealed Air Corporation
- The DOW Chemical Company
- West Rock Company