Robots play a crucial role in industrial automation, with many core operations in industries being managed by robots. Owing to the rising advantages of smart factory systems, the market has been witnessing significant demand over the past decade. The growing penetration of IoT and investments in robotics have been the major contributors to the growth of the market. The increasing demand for automation in industries has revolutionized the adoption of robotic technologies, especially in the automotive industry.
With the advancement of technologies, such as modular robotics, nano-robotics, and cloud robotics, the market studied is expected to be boosted. The major players in the market are developing affordable, small, compact, and energy efficient robotics solutions, to cater to a broader customer base. Over the years, the market has been supported by the demand for robotic surgery. Moreover, research in the field of surgical robotics by prominent universities is expected to play a key role in the development. The market is further expanding into new territories, with small- and medium-sized industries adopting automation, thereby creating demand for robots. The availability of small-capacity and cost-effective solutions from major providers is enabling the penetration of robots into industries.
Increasing Need for Automation in Industries to Drive the Market
With the increasing demand for automation in all industries, the use of robots has increased significantly. Organizations are adopting robotics, to automate their processes, deliver high-quality products, expand their manufacturing capabilities, provide better customer service, and efficiently manage their operations. Therefore, the offerings available in the market have also expanded over the recent years, with several international players expanding their product portfolios, to gain traction in the market. Moreover, the industry’s growing need for custom solutions is expected to drive the robotics market further.
Industrial Robotics is the Largest Segment
There are varioys types of industrial robots, such as articulated robots, cylindrical robots, SCARA robots, cartesian robots, and others. Articulated robots held a significant share of the market in 2016. The demand for articulated robots is expected to grow at the highest rate over the forecast period. The structure and operational capabilities of articulated robots make them highly suitable for various industrial applications, such as pick and place, palletizing, painting, and welding. This factor is expected to spur the growth of the industrial robots segment. Moroever, according to the data published by the International Federation of Robotics, the average global robot density is about 74 industrial robots installed per 10,000 employees in the manufacturing industry, as of 2016. In addition, the increased need for automation in non-conventional areas, such as microelectronics, has increased the usage of industrial robotics. Hence, an auxiliary channel utilizing industrial robotics has surfaced in the recent years.
Automotive Segment to Account for the Largest Market Share
Rising concerns for labor safety, adoption of automation to ensure quality production and to meet market demand on time are the main drivers that are expected to contribute to the growth of the automotive robotics market. According to International Federation of Robotics, in 2016, the demand for robots in the automotive industry increased by 6%, to a new peak of 103,300 units, accounting for 35% share of the total supply. Investments in new production facilities in the emerging markets, as well as investments in major car producing countries, have driven an increase in the number of robot installations. Using new materials, developing energy efficient drive systems, and intense competition in all the major car markets, have bolstered investments, despite the existing overcapacities.
In North America, due to the demand and adoption of robotic technologies, the automotive robotics market is proliferating. However, due to rapid industrialization and booming automotive industries, Asia-Pacific is expected to witness considerable growth over the forecast period.
Key Developments in the Market
- January 2018 - Futura Automation LLC announced the addition of a new product line, Applied Robotics. Applied Robotics Inc. is a global provider of robotic end-of-arm tooling and connectivity products and is expected to increase the capability and presence of Futura Automation, in the North American robotics sector.
- November 2017 - ABB and Kawasaki announced collaborative robot automation cooperation, to focus on ‘cobots’ and the creation of common industry approaches for safety, programming, and communications.
- November 2017 - Mitsubishi Electric announced plans to start the production of robots in China. Production presence in China is expected to enable the company to shorten its delivery times, control the impact of exchange rate fluctuations, and closely monitor domestic demand.
Reasons to Purchase this Report
- To analyze the increasing emphasis on labor safety and its effects on market.
- Analyzing various perspectives of the market with the help of Porter’s five forces analysis.
- To analyze the type of robot that is expected to dominate the market.
- The end user and region that are expected to witness the fastest growth during the forecast period.
- Identify the latest developments, market shares, and strategies employed by the major market players.
- 3 months analyst support along with the Market Estimate sheet (in excel)
This report can be customized to meet your requirements. Please contact us for more information.
1.1 Key Deliverables of the Study
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Market Definition
1.4 Key Findings of the Study
2. Research Approach and Methodology
3. Executive Summary
4. Market Dynamics
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Factors Driving the Market
4.2.1 Increasing Need for Automation in Industries
4.2.2 Increasing Emphasis on Labor Safety
4.3 Factors Restraining the Market
4.3.1 High Cost of Installation
4.4 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products or Services
4.4.5 Competitive Rivalry among Existing Competitors
4.5 Industry Value Chain Analysis
5. Global Robotics Market Segmentation
5.1 By Type
5.2 By End User
5.2.5 Military and Defense
5.2.6 Medical and Healthcare
5.2.7 Other End Users
5.3 By Region
5.3.1 North America
5.3.4 Latin America
5.3.5 Middle East & Africa
6. Competitive Intelligence - Company Profiles
6.1 ABB Ltd
6.2 Yaskawa Electric Corporation
6.3 Denso Corporation
6.4 Fanuc Corporation
6.5 Kuka Robotics
6.6 Kawasaki Robotics
6.7 Toshiba Corporation
6.8 Panasonic Corporation
6.9 Staubli Mechatronics Company
6.10 Nachi Robotic Systems Inc.
6.11 Yamaha Robotics
6.12 Epson Robots
6.13 Comau Spa
6.14 Adept Technologies
6.15 Intuitive Surgical
6.16 Stryker Corporation
6.17 MDA Corporation
*List not exhaustive
7. Investment Analysis
8. Outlook of the Global Robotics Market
- ABB Ltd
- Adept Technologies
- Comau Spa
- Denso Corporation
- Epson Robots
- Fanuc Corporation
- Intuitive Surgical
- Kawasaki Robotics
- Kuka Robotics
- MDA Corporation
- Nachi Robotic Systems Inc.
- Panasonic Corporation
- Staubli Mechatronics Company
- Stryker Corporation
- Toshiba Corporation
- Yamaha Robotics
- Yaskawa Electric Corporation