Assessment of Key Market Participants in Asia-Pacific for Investment and Partnership Opportunities to Change the Future for the Better
Biometric identification and authentication is well positioned to complement and potentially replace existing traditional verification processes such as those using pins and passwords, security questions, and even personal identity verification. The role of biometrics is becoming more important now that the industry is heading towards becoming mobile first. As a result, mobile biometrics is picking up and on a high growth trajectory in the Asia-Pacific region.
Drivers include increasing adoption of smartphones and higher adoption of mobile transactions in the region. Multimodal biometrics is the preferred choice due to increased emphasis on security. Biometric authentication for mobile payment services is starting to become the norm, Apple and Samsung having led the way by incorporating biometrics into their smartphones. Governments in Asia-Pacific are starting to adopt biometric capabilities for national security, especially in terms of border control and citizens’ identification. India, in particular, has led the way in terms of government efforts in digitalizing citizens’ identification.
Mobile biometrics can help stimulate revenue growth. It can generate more revenue while also improving customer experience. It can also result in cost reductions, for instance, by reducing IT cost associated with retrieving forgotten pins and passwords, lessening the rate of cyberattacks with higher security, protecting systems from hacking and data theft, and enabling quicker customer identification and recognition resulting in a smaller staff requirement to serve customers.
Organizations such as mobile network operators (MNOs), financial institutions, and other industry players risk losing out on market share if they do not keep up with market trends, particularly those that have placed increased importance on security, convenience, and mobility. Banks and MNOs in the region such as those in Singapore, Australia, Malaysia, Japan, South Korea, New Zealand, and China have started to reap the benefit of biometrics with its adoption into their customer onboarding process. In doing so, these organizations can register customers more seamlessly and at a much more efficient pace than before.
Mobile biometrics has come a long way since the early days and has become more affordable and user-friendly. Mass user adoption is thus possible through the introduction of biometric features in smartphones as well as smart devices. Market trends such as bring-your-own-device (BYOD), digital customer onboarding, and effective border control management have encouraged the adoption of mobile biometrics in every market sector.
Collaboration among industry players as well as amongst the different industry verticals will allow for product innovation. This will enable industry players to introduce mobile biometric offerings into new innovative products in order to address gaps in the marketplace. Partnerships also enable industry players to penetrate different markets at a faster pace and on a more cost-efficient basis. Investment made by government bodies and organizations as well as collaborative efforts will help industry players develop more suitable mobile biometric solutions. The companies mentioned in this study include but are not limited to HID Global, Iris Corporation, Tascent, NEC, Idemia, Fingerprint Cards AB, Nuance Communications, Synaptics, Samsung SDS, Egis Technology, Suprema, Fujitsu, Cognitec Systems, Precise Biometrics, and Gemalto N.V.
Key Issues Addressed:
- What is mobile biometric identification and authentication?
- Who are the key players in the market and what are their main offerings?
- What are the digital services that will be enabled with biometric identification and authentication and the revenue upside?
- What are the risks of implementing biometric identification and implementation?
- What are the governing local regulation and standards?
- What are the considerations for partnerships versus investments?
- Which companies are potential partners or investment targets?
- How will mobile biometrics change the industry dynamics?
Table of Contents
- Key Findings
- Mobile Biometrics-Market Definitions
- Mobile Biometrics-Why is it Important?
- Mobile Biometrics-Use in Asia-Pacific
- Mobile Biometrics-Development Stages
- Mobile Biometrics-Use Cases
- Key Questions this Study will Answer
- Mobile Biometrics-Market Trends
- Market Enablers
- Market Drivers
- Drivers Explained
- Market Restraints
- Restraints Explained
- Mobile Biometrics-Competitive Landscape
- Mobile Biometrics-Service Offerings
- Mobile Biometrics-Key Vendors for Identification
- Mobile Biometrics-HID Global Corporation
- Mobile Biometrics-Iris Corporation Berhad
- Mobile Biometrics-Tascent Inc.
- Mobile Biometrics-NEC Corporation
- Mobile Biometrics-Idemia
- Mobile Biometrics-Key Vendors for Authentication
- Mobile Biometrics-Fingerprints Card AB
- Mobile Biometrics-Nuance Communications Inc.
- Mobile Biometrics-Synaptics Inc.
- Mobile Biometrics-Samsung SDS
- Mobile Biometrics-Egis Technology Inc.
- Mobile Biometrics-Suprema Inc.
- Mobile Biometrics-Fujitsu Ltd.
- Mobile Biometrics-Cognitec Systems
- Mobile Biometrics-Precise Biometrics
- Mobile Biometrics-Gemalto N.V.
- Mobile Biometrics-Business Models
- Mobile Biometrics-Case Studies of Disruptive Business Models
- Mobile Biometrics-Top 3 Mobile Biometrics Identification Participants
- Mobile Biometrics-Top 3 Mobile Biometrics Authentication Participants
- Mobile Biometrics-Regulatory and Standards Updates
- Mobile Biometrics-Business Operational Implications
- Mobile Biometrics-Key Risks versus Opportunity Costs
- Mobile Biometrics-Future Trends and Sustainability
- Mobile Biometrics-Investment and Partnerships Considerations
- Mobile Biometrics-Changes in Industry Dynamics
- Mobile Biometrics-Workforce Management
- Mobile Biometrics-Mobile Passports
- Biometric Solution Providers for Telcos
- Telcos-Adoption of Biometric Solutions
- Benefits and Impact-Telco Providers
- Identity Fraud-An Overview
- Gaps with Mobile Identity Solutions and Associated Identity Fraud Risks
- Identity Fraud Prevention
- Multimodal Biometrics
- Digital Customer Onboarding
- Digital Identification
- 5 Major Growth Opportunities
- Strategic Imperatives for Success and Growth
- The Last Word-3 Big Predictions
- Legal Disclaimer
- List of Exhibits
- Mobile Digital Services Program-Overview and Deliverables
- Mobile Digital Services Program-2018 Research
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- Cognitec Systems
- Egis Technology Inc.
- Fujitsu Ltd.
- Gemalto N.V.
- HID Global Corporation
- Iris Corporation Berhad
- NEC Corporation
- Nuance Communications Inc.
- Precise Biometrics
- Samsung SDS
- Suprema Inc.
- Synaptics Inc.
- Tascent Inc