5G: Architecture, Technology, Implementation, and Operation of 3GPP New Radio Standards is an in-depth, systematic and structured technical reference on 3GPP's New Radio standards (Release 15 and beyond), covering underlying theory, technology and implementation of the new 5G radio interface. The book describes the operation of individual components and shows how they fit into the overall system and operate from a systems perspective. Uniquely, this book gives detailed information on upper RAN protocol layers, network architecture and services, implementation and deployment issues, and applications, making it suitable for engineers who are developing 5G products and services.
Reflecting on the author's 30-plus years of experience in signal processing and wireless communication system design, this book is ideal for professional engineers, researchers and graduate students working and researching in cellular communication systems, radio air-interface technologies, cellular communications protocols, advanced radio access technologies for 5G systems, and broadband cellular standards
- Written by a single author who has been involved in the inception and development of 3GPP 4G and 5G technologies for over 20 years
- Explains how individual components are interrelated and interoperate to make a complete system
- Covers all system functionalities, features, and their interoperation based on a clear protocol structure
- Provides sections on network slicing, SDN/NFV/MEC networks, massive MIMO, mmWave and cloud and virtualized RAN implementations
- Includes a strong focus on implementation and deployment issues
1. 5G Network Architecture 2. 5G RF Spectrum 3. New Radio Access Physical Layer Aspect 4. RF and Transceiver Design Considerations 5. New Radio Access Layer 2/3 Aspects (MAC, RLC, PDCP, and RRC) 6. NB-IoT 7. Device-to-Device and Machine-Type Communications 8. Vehicle-to-Vehicle/Infrastructure Communications 9. Unlicensed, License-Assisted Access and LTE-Wi-Fi Link Aggregation 10. Enhanced Multimedia Broadcast Multicast Service (eMBMS) 11. Implementation Considerations
Dr. Sassan Ahmadi is the Director of 5G Wireless Systems and Standards with Xilinx Inc., and a Lecturer at Stanford University with over 30 years of experience in signal processing and communication system design as well as cellular systems standards development. Previously, he held senior positions at Apple, Intel and Nokia. He has authored two recent books on wireless communications, "LTE-Advanced, A Practical Systems Approach to Understanding 3GPP LTE Releases 10 and 11 Radio Access Technologies", Academic Press, 2013 and "Mobile WiMAX, A Systems Approach to Understanding IEEE 802.16m Radio Access Technology", Academic Press, 2010 and over 80 patents/patent applications on various aspects of 4G and 5G radio access networks. He is the co-author of six other books as well as and the author of more than 20 refereed journal and conference papers. For over two decades, he has been a technical contributor and leader in the development of the cellular standards including 5G NR, IMT-Advanced, and IEEE 802.16m standards in 3GPP, ITU-R, and IEEE. He has taught graduate courses at Stanford University since 2014 and University of California, San Diego between 2000 and 2003.
Affiliations and Expertise
Director of 5G Wireless Systems and Standards at Xilinx Inc.
Lecturer at Stanford University