The report provides a detailed understanding and analysis of how, why and on what terms companies enter discovery stage partnering deals. These deals are discovery stage whereby the licensee obtains a right or an option right to license the licensors product or technology. These deals tend to be multicomponent, starting with collaborative R&D, and commercialization of outcomes.
This report provides details of the latest discovery agreements announced in the healthcare sector.
Understanding the flexibility of a prospective partner’s negotiated deals terms provides critical insight into the negotiation process in terms of what you can expect to achieve during the negotiation of terms. Whilst many smaller companies will be seeking details of the payments clauses, the devil is in the detail in terms of how payments are triggered - contract documents provide this insight where press releases and databases do not.
This report contains a comprehensive listing of all discovery stage partnering deals announced since 2015 including financial terms where available including over 4,000 links to online deal records of actual discovery partnering deals as disclosed by the deal parties. In addition, where available, records include contract documents as submitted to the Securities Exchange Commission by companies and their partners.
Contract documents provide the answers to numerous questions about a prospective partner’s flexibility on a wide range of important issues, many of which will have a significant impact on each party’s ability to derive value from the deal.
The initial chapters of this report provide an orientation of discovery stage deal making and business activities. Chapter 1 provides an introduction to the report, whilst chapter 2 provides an overview of why companies partner discovery stage compounds/products.
Chapter 3 provides an overview of discovery stage deals strategy and deal structure including numerous case studies. Chapter 4 provides an overview of the various payment strategies used in discovery stage deals.
Chapter 5 provides a review of discovery stage deal making since 2015. Deals activity is reviewed by year, therapeutic area, technology type, as well as most active dealmakers.
Chapter 6 provides a detailed analysis of discovery stage payment terms including headline, upfront, milestone and royalty rates.
Chapter 7 provides a review of the leading discovery stage deal by headline value. Each deal title links via Current Agreements deals and alliances database to an online version of the full deal record, and where available, the actual contract document, providing easy access to each deal record on demand.
Chapter 8 provides a comprehensive listing of the top 25 most active discovery stage dealmaker companies. Each deal title links via Current Agreements deals and alliances database to an online version of the full deal record, and where available, the actual contract document, providing easy access to each deal record on demand.
Chapter 9 provides a comprehensive and detailed review of discovery stage partnering deals signed and announced since 2015, where a contract document is available in the public domain.
Chapter 10 provides a comprehensive directory of discovery stage partnering deals since 2015.
The report includes deals announced by hundreds of life science companies including big pharma such as Abbott, Abbvie, Actavis, Amgen, Astellas, AstraZeneca, Baxter, Bayer, Biogen Idec, BMS, Celgene, Eisai, Eli Lilly, Gilead, GSK, J&J, Kyowa Hakko, Merck, Mitsubishi, Mylan, Novartis, Pfizer, Roche, Sanofi, Shire, Takeda, Teva, and Valeant, amongst many others.
The report also includes numerous tables and figures that illustrate the trends and activities in discovery stage partnering and deal making since 2015.
In addition, a comprehensive appendix of all discovery deals since 2015 is provided organized by partnering company A-Z, deal type, therapy focus and technology type. Each deal title links via Weblink to an online version of the deal record and where available, the contract document, providing easy access to each contract document on demand.
In conclusion, this report provides everything a prospective dealmaker needs to know about partnering in the research, development and commercialization of discovery stage products and compounds.
Global Discovery Stage Partnering Terms and Agreements in Pharma and Biotech 2015-2022 provide the reader with the following key benefits:
- In-depth understanding of discovery stage deal trends since 2015
- Access to headline, upfront, milestone and royalty data
- Analysis of the structure of discovery stage agreements with numerous real life case studies
- Insight into the terms included in a discovery stage agreement, together with real world clause examples
- Understand the key deal terms companies have agreed in previous deals
- Undertake due diligence to assess suitability of your proposed deal terms for partner companies
Report scopeGlobal Discovery Stage Partnering Terms and Agreements in Pharma and Biotech 2015-2022 is intended to provide the reader with an in-depth understanding and access to discovery stage deal trends and structure of deals entered into by leading companies worldwide.
Global Discovery Stage Partnering Terms and Agreements in Pharma and Biotech 2015-2022 include:
- Trends in discovery stage dealmaking in the biopharma industry since 2015
- Analysis of discovery stage deal structure
- Access to headline, upfront, milestone and royalty data
- Case studies of real-life discovery stage deals
- Access to over 3,900 discovery stage deals
- The leading discovery stage deals by value since 2015
- Most active discovery stage dealmakers since 2015
- The leading discovery stage partnering 2015
In Global Discovery Stage Partnering Terms and Agreements in Pharma and Biotech 2015-2022, the available contracts are listed by:
- Company A-Z
- Headline value
- Stage of development at signing
- Deal type
- Specific therapy target
The Global Discovery Stage Partnering Terms and Agreements in Pharma and Biotech 2015-2022 report provides comprehensive access to available deals and contract documents for over 4,000 discovery stage deals. Analyzing actual contract agreements allows assessment of the following:
- What are the precise rights granted or optioned?
- What is actually granted by the agreement to the partner company?
- What exclusivity is granted?
- What is the payment structure for the deal?
- How are sales and payments audited?
- What is the deal term?
- How are the key terms of the agreement defined?
- How are IPRs handled and owned?
- Who is responsible for commercialization?
- Who is responsible for development, supply, and manufacture?
- How is confidentiality and publication managed?
- How are disputes to be resolved?
- Under what conditions can the deal be terminated?
- What happens when there is a change of ownership?
- What sublicensing and subcontracting provisions have been agreed?
- Which boilerplate clauses does the company insist upon?
- Which boilerplate clauses appear to differ from partner to partner or deal type to deal type?
- Which jurisdiction does the company insist upon for agreement law?
Table of Contents
2.2. The role of discovery stage partnering
2.2.1. In-licensing at discovery stage
2.2.2. Out-licensing at discovery stage
2.3. Difference between discovery, preclinical and clinical stage deals
2.4. Reasons for entering into discovery stage partnering deals
2.4.1. Licensors reasons for entering discovery stage deals
2.4.2. Licensees reasons for entering discovery stage deals
2.5. The future of discovery stage partnering deals
3.2. At what stage do companies partner?
3.2.1. Partnering early in pharmaceutical/biotech
18.104.22.168. Discovery and preclinical stage partnering case studies
22.214.171.124.a. Case study 1
126.96.36.199.b. Case study 2
188.8.131.52.c. Case study 3
184.108.40.206.d. Case study 4
3.2.2. Partnering later in pharmaceutical/biotech
220.127.116.11. Clinical stage partnering case studies
18.104.22.168.a. Case study 5
22.214.171.124.b. Case study 6
126.96.36.199.c. Case study 7
188.8.131.52.d. Case study 8
3.3. Early and later stage partnering - a risk/cost comparison
3.4. What do companies spend on discovery, preclinical and clinical stage partnering?
3.5. Pure versus multi-component partnering deals
3.6. Pure licensing agreement structure
3.6.1. Example pure licensing agreements
3.6.1.a. Case study 9
3.6.1.b. Case study 10
3.7. Multicomponent discovery stage partnering agreements
3.7.1.a. Example multicomponent early stage clauses
3.7.1.a. Case study 11
3.7.1.b. Case study 12
4.2. Discovery stage payment strategies
4.3. Payment options
4.3.1. Headline values
4.3.2. Upfront payments
184.108.40.206. Conditionality of upfront payments
4.3.4. Convertible loans
4.3.6. R&D funding
4.3.7. Licensing fees
4.3.8. Milestone payments
4.3.9. Royalty payments
220.127.116.11. Issues affecting royalty rates
18.104.22.168. Royalties on combination products
22.214.171.124.a. Case study 13
126.96.36.199. Guaranteed minimum/maximum annual payments
188.8.131.52. Royalty stacking
184.108.40.206. Royalties and supply/purchase contracts
4.3.11. Option payments
5.2. Discovery stage partnering over the years
5.2.1. Attributes of discovery deals
5.3. Discovery stage partnering by deal type
5.4. Discovery stage partnering by disease type
5.5. Partnering by discovery stage technology type
5.6. Discovery stage partnering by most active company, 2015 to 2022
6.2. Guidelines for discovery stage payment terms
6.2.1. Upfront payments
6.2.2. Milestone payments
6.2.3. Royalty payments
6.3. Discovery stage payment terms - deal data analysis
6.3.1. Public data
6.3.2. Survey data
6.4. Payment terms analysis
6.4.1. Discovery stage headline values
6.4.2. Discovery stage deal upfront payments
6.4.3. Discovery stage deal milestone payments
6.4.4. Discovery stage royalty rates
7.2. Top discovery stage deals by value
8.2. Top 25 most active discovery stage dealmakers
9.2. Discovery stage deals with contracts 2015 to 2022
10.2. Deals by discovery stage
Appendix 2 - Discovery stage dealmaking by industry sector
Appendix 3 - Discovery stage dealmaking by stage of development
Appendix 4 - Discovery stage dealmaking by therapy area
Appendix 5 - Discovery stage dealmaking by technology type
Figure 3: Components of the pure licensing deal structure
Figure 4: Payment options for discovery stage partnering deals
Figure 5: Issues affecting royalty rates
Figure 6: Discovery stage partnering frequency 2015- 2022
Figure 7: Discovery stage partnering by deal type since 2015
Figure 8: Discovery stage partnering by disease type since 2015
Figure 9: Discovery stage partnering by technology type since 2015
Figure 10: Top 25 most active discovery stage dealmakers, 2015 to 2022
Figure 11: Review of median upfront payments for discovery stage deals
Figure 12: Review of median milestone payments for discovery stage deals
Figure 13: Review of median royalty payments for discovery stage deals
Figure 14: Discovery stage deals with a headline value
Figure 15: Discovery stage deals with an upfront value
Figure 16: Discovery stage deals with a milestone value
Figure 17: Discovery stage deals with a royalty rate value
Figure 18: Top discovery stage deals by deal value since 2015
Figure 19: Most active discovery stage dealmakers 2015 to 2022
- The publisher reports provide insight into the trends and terms of partnering deals in the global life sciences sector.
- The publisher reports are updated every six months to ensure the user has access to the latest announcements and trends in the topic focus of the report.
- The publisher analysts review the deal data to provide an overview and analysis of deal trends, including example deals and terms.
- The publisher reports source deal data from our proprietary deals and alliances database. The database is updated daily by our analysts with new deals as they are announced globally by the company’s party to the deal.
- The data in the deals and alliances database is obtained from secondary sources such as publicly available industry sources including press releases, company presentations, investor presentations, company SEC filings, other company filings, company websites, conference presentations. Sources are identified to allow for user verification.
The publisher provides comprehensive coverage of the following partnering or deal types:
- Asset purchase
- Collaborative R&D
- Contract service
- Equity purchase
- Joint venture
- Royalty financing
- Spin out
- Sub license
Every deal record is fully categorized and includes the following data, where available:
- Industry sector
- Therapy areas
- Technology type
- Deal components
- Financial terms
- Stage of development
- Asset type
- Geographic focus
- Excluded geography
- Company press release
- SEC filing data including contract document
All financial amounts are converted to US$ using the exchange rate available on the date of deal announcement, enabling direct comparison of deal terms across international territories.