Since the oil price crash the GCC countries and Iran have had to adjust to a new set of realities. The region is in a state of political upheaval with Saudi Arabia undergoing a political transformation, Iran emerging from international isolation and an ongoing blockade of Qatar. These developments have profound implications for the region’s economy and logistics sector, with new opportunities emerging from liberalization and previously sound growth strategies now in question.
These factors have necessitated a reassessment of the logistics prospects for the region. This report examines the new set of opportunities by country, sector and logistics market; and identifies the growth models that are no longer viable.
The report provides fundamental background context for assessing the logistics industry at the regional level. This includes:
- PESTLE analysis
- Comparative analysis of the scale and quality of infrastructure by country (container ports, airports, road and rail)
- Comparative economic analysis by country (GDP, GDP growth forecasts, GDP per capita, the price of oil, exports and imports by commodity, export and import forecasts)
- Comparative vertical sector analysis (automotive, chemical, consumer/ retail, defence, e-commerce, healthcare/ pharmaceutical, LNG and oil & gas).
- An introduction to GCC and Iran logistics. This explains the structure and nature of logistics provision in the region, an assessment of how many LSPs there are in various revenue tiers (over €1bn, €500m to €1bn, €100m to €500m, €50m to €100m and less than €50m), estimated revenues of key players and a comparative analysis of logistics performance by country.
The report dives deeper and provides country profiles for Iran and each member of the GCC (Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates).
- Each profile contains an assessment of the size, growth prospects and nature of its core logistics markets (contract logistics, air and sea freight forwarding, domestic and international express). The country’s leading logistics providers are also identified.
- Background context is also provided with each profile including a PESTLE analysis, economic overview, analysis of its core infrastructure (ports, airports, road and railways as well as an infrastructure map) and logistics performance rankings.
- For the core markets of Saudi Arabia, Iran and the UAE, the country profiles go further, featuring in-depth analysis of their core vertical logistics sectors. For the period 2017 to 2021, the publisher has estimated forecast growth windows for the oil & gas logistics and retail logistics sectors. We have also sized the e-commerce logistics market for each of these countries and provided forecasts.
- Each country profile also features an investment environment section. This includes key details on investment rules and regulations as well as major recent investments and planned investments by manufacturers, retailers, LSPs and others.
Also in the report
- The report assesses in detail the key economic and political developments in the region and their impact on industry and logistics. Topics covered include Qatar’s blockade, Iran’s emergence from international isolation, the rise of Saudi Arabia’s young crown prince Muhammad bin Salman and the various diversification strategies away from oil.
- The report identifies airport and container port volumes by country, the highest volume facilities by country and the major development projects by country.
Table of Contents
1.2 Key Findings.
3.2 Rail Infrastructure and Planned Major Developments.
3.3 Port Volume and Planned Major Developments
3.4 Airport Volumes and Planned Major Developments
4.2 GDP per capita by Country
4.3 GDP Forecast by Country
4.4 Exports by Country.
4.5 Export Growth Forecast by Country
4.6 Imports by Country.
4.7 Import Growth Forecasts
4.8 Oil Price
5.2 Revenue Distribution of LSPs
5.3 Logistics Performance
5.3.1 World Bank Logistics Performance Index Data
5.3.2 Agility Emerging Markets Logistics Index Data
5.4 Logistics Market Sizing, Growth and Forecasts
5.4.2 Contract Logistics
5.4.3 e-commerce Logistics
5.4.4 Express and Parcels
5.4.5 Freight Forwarding
6.3 Consumer (CPG)/ Retail
6.5.1 Introduction to GCC and Iran e-commerce.
6.5.2 Souq Profile
6.5.3 e-commerce Logistics Costs
6.6 Healthcare/ Pharmaceutical
6.8 Oil & Gas
7.1.2 Economic Background
7.1.4 Logistics Performance
7.1.5 Logistics Provision
7.1.6 Logistics Market Size, Growth and Forecasts
7.1.7 Investment Environment
7.1.8 Oil & Gas Market and Logistics Growth Forecast
7.1.9 Retail Market and Logistics Growth Forecast
7.1.10 Automotive Market
7.2 Saudi Arabia
7.2.2 Economic Background
7.2.4 Logistics Performance
7.2.5 Logistics Provision
7.2.6 Logistics Market Size, Growth and Forecasts
7.2.7 Investment Environment
7.2.8 Diversification Strategy Vision 2030
7.2.9 Oil & Gas Market and Logistics Growth Forecast
7.2.10 Retail Market and Logistics Growth Forecast
7.3 United Arab Emirates
7.3.2 Economic Background
7.3.4 Logistics Performance.
7.3.5 Logistics Provision
7.3.6 Logistics Market Size, Growth and Forecasts
7.3.7 Investment Environment
7.3.8 Oil & Gas Market and Logistics Growth Forecast
7.3.9 Retail Market and Logistics Growth Forecast
8.1.2 Economic Background
8.1.4 Logistics Performance.
8.1.5 Logistics Provision
8.1.6 Logistics Market Size, Growth and Forecasts
8.2.2 Economic Background
8.2.4 Logistics Performance
8.2.5 Logistics Provision
8.2.6 Logistics Market Size, Growth and Forecasts
8.3.2 Economic Background
8.3.4 Logistics Performance
8.3.5 Logistics Provision
8.3.6 Logistics Market Size, Growth and Forecasts
8.4.2 Economic Background
8.4.3 The 2017 Qatar Crisis
8.4.5 Logistics Performance
8.4.6 Logistics Provision
8.4.7 Logistics Market Size, Growth and Forecasts
8.4.8 Oil & Gas Market
9.2 Contract Logistics
9.3 Express and Small Parcels
Figure 3.2 GCC Road Infrastructure Map
Figure 3.3 World Economic Forum Global Competitiveness Index Metrics – Quality of Railroads (2017-18)
Figure 3.4 Container Port Traffic and Capacity
Figure 3.5 Country Air Tonne Kilometres and Major Airports by Tonnage.
Figure 4.1 GDP by Country 2017 (US$bn)
Figure 4.2 GDP per capita by Country 2017 (US$)
Figure 4.3 Real GDP Growth Forecast by Country (2017-2021 CAGR)
Figure 4.4 Exports by Country 2016 (US$bn)
Figure 4.5 Real Export Growth Forecast by Country (2017-2021 CAGR)
Figure 4.6 Imports by Country 2016 (US$bn)
Figure 4.7 Real Import Growth Forecast by Country (2017-2021 CAGR)
Figure 4.8 Average Monthly Price of Brent Crude Oil ($ per barrel).
Figure 5.1 MENA Logistics Provider Ecosystem.
Figure 5.2 Revenue Distribution of LSPs
Figure 5.3 World Bank Logistics Performance Index Data
Figure 5.4 Agility Emerging Markets Logistics Index Data
Figure 5.5 GCC and Iran Market Sizing, Growth and Forecast Data
Figure 6.1 Vehicles in Use by Country 2015 (millions)
Figure 6.2 Chemical Production Output by Country 2016 (million tonnes)
Figure 6.3 Major Pipelines
Figure 6.4 Major Chemical Ports
Figure 6.5 Defence Spending by Country 2016 (US$bn)
Figure 6.6 Health Spending per capita 2014 (US$)
Figure 6.7 Total Health Spending 2014 (US$bn)
Figure 6.8 Major Natural Gas Trade Flows 2016 (billion cubic metres)
Figure 6.9 Major GCC Oil Export Terminals
Figure 6.10 Ras Tanura Oil Terminal
Figure 6.11 Major Oil Trade Flows 2016 (m tonnes)
Figure 7.1 Iran Infrastructure Map
Figure 7.2 Iran LPI Data
Figure 7.3 Iran WEF GCI Data
Figure 7.4 Iran AEMLI Data
Figure 7.5 Iran Market Size, Growth and Forecasts
Figure 7.6 Major Oil, Gas & Chemical Sector Investments
Figure 7.7 Major Automotive Sector Investments
Figure 7.8 Major Renewables Sector Investments
Figure 7.9 Saudi Arabia Infrastructure Map
Figure 7.10 Saudi Arabia Rail Infrastructure Map
Figure 7.11 Saudi Arabia World Bank LPI Data
Figure 7.12 Saudi Arabia WEF GCI Data
Figure 7.13 Saudi Arabia AEMLI 2018 Data
Figure 7.14 Saudi Arabia Market Size, Growth and Forecasts
Figure 7.15 Recent Major Manufacturing Investments
Figure 7.16 Saudi Arabia Oil & Gas Infrastructure Map
Figure 7.17 Ras Tanura Oil Terminal
Figure 7.18 UAE Infrastructure Map
Figure 7.19 Feeder Routes in and out of Jebel Ali
Figure 7.20 UAE Rail Infrastructure Map
Figure 7.21 UAE World Bank LPI Data
Figure 7.22 WEF GCI Data
Figure 7.23 UAE AEMLI 2018 Data
Figure 7.24 UAE Market Sizing, Growth and Forecasts
Figure 7.25 Recent Major Manufacturing Investments
Figure 7.26 UAE Oil Deposits Map
Figure 8.1 Bahrain Infrastructure Map
Figure 8.2 Bahrain LPI data
Figure 8.3 Bahrain WEF GCI data.
Figure 8.4 Bahrain AEMLI Data
Figure 8.5. Bahrain Market Size, Growth and Forecasts
Figure 8.6 Kuwait Infrastructure Map
Figure 8.7 Kuwait LPI Data
Figure 8.8 Kuwait WEF GCI Data
Figure 8.9 Kuwait AEMLI Data
Figure 8.10 Kuwait Market Size, Growth and Forecasts.
Figure 8.11 Oman Infrastructure Map
Figure 8.12 Oman LPI Data
Figure 8.13 Oman WEF GCI Data
Figure 8.14 Oman AEMLI Data
Figure 8.15 Oman Market Size, Growth and Forecasts
Figure 8.16 Qatar Infrastructure Map
Figure 8.17 Qatar World Bank LPI Data
Figure 8.18 Qatar WEF GCI Data
Figure 8.19 Qatar AEMLI Data
Figure 8.20. Qatar Market Size, Growth and Forecasts