Moreover, to meet the power demand during peak periods, utilities are expected to continue implementing energy storage solutions, of which, most of the energy is generated from renewable energy sources, during off-peak periods. Evolving business models and involvement of utilities in the energy storage space are expected to further enhance the adoption of energy storage systems (ESSs) in the future. Also, the growing need for increased self-consumption of PV electricity on a household level leads to increased demand for household storage systems. This is likely to escalate the demand for batteries during the forecast period.
Lithium Ion Battery is expected to Witness the Highest Growth during the Forecast Period
Before the evolution of lithium-ion battery, lead acid batteries were the dominant form of rechargeable batteries regarding growth rate, whereas w.r.t market share lead acid batteries are still dominant. Lead acid battery is expected to be the market with majority share in 2023 in volume, but Li-ion market is likely to be higher than Lead acid from 2020. Li-ion battery market is driven by Automotive & Industrial applications. The market for lithium-ion batteries has registered a CAGR of 25% during the period of 2000-2016. At present, lead acid batteries occupy the clear majority of the automobile market, stationary storage and hospital equipment. While the upfront cost of lead-acid batteries is still lower than lithium-ion batteries, factors including lower energy density, weight, shorter cycle life, and higher true cost considering lifespan and performance contribute to expectations that growth in lead-acid batteries is expected to be restrained when compared to lithium-ion batteries.
The dominance of Asia-Pacific is expected to continue
Asia-Pacific is expected to be the fastest growing region during the forecast period, followed by North America and Europe. Growing demand for electric, hybrid electric, and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles are creating an excellent opportunity for the battery industry. About 140 million electric cars are expected to be on roads by 2030. Japan is another country, where battery industry is proliferating. Japan has ambitious targets to produce half of the world’s batteries by 2020. Japan also has a subsidy program for 66% of the cost for homes and business that install lithium-ion batteries. The need of flexibility within the electricity system increases with the upcoming proportion of renewable energy generation across various countries. Also, the government policies of multiple nations have become more encouraging and favoring the grid and the renewable energy storage. These supportive policies are expected to drive the demand for the batteries and in turn, provide growth in revenues to the battery manufacturers.
Key Developments in the Market
- January 2018: Contemporary Amperex Technology Co Ltd (CATL) announced plans for USD 2 billion IPO in Shenzhen, to build two battery plants, including a giant 24 GWh facility, which would help to massively boost its output
- November 2017: Samsung Advanced Institute of Technology (SAIT) developed a unique battery material, graphene ball, which enables a 45% increase in capacity, and five times fast-charging speeds than standard lithium-ion batteries
- July 2017: Seiko Instruments Inc.’s subsidiary company, SII Semiconductor Corporation, introduced S-8223A/B/C/D Series 2-to-3 cell secondary battery protection IC for lithium-ion rechargeable batteries
Reasons to Purchase this Report
- Current and future battery market outlook in the developed and emerging markets
- Analyzing various perspectives of the market with the help of Porter’s five forces analysis
- The segment that is expected to dominate the market
- Regions that are expected to witness fastest growth during the forecast period
- Identifying the latest developments, market shares, and strategies employed by the major market players
- 3-month analyst support, along with the Market Estimate sheet in excel
This report can be customized to meet your requirements. Please contact us for more information.
2. Research Methodology
3. Market Overview
3.2 Market Size and Demand Forecast until 2023
3.3 Recent Trends and Developments
4. Market Dynamics
5. Value Chain Analysis
6. Porter’s Five Forces Analysis
6.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
6.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
6.3 Threat of New Entrants
6.4 Threat of Substitute Products & Services
6.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
7. Market Segmentation and Analysis (Market Overview, Market Size, and Demand Forecast until 2023)
7.1 By Category
7.1.1 Primary Batteries
7.1.2 Secondary Batteries
7.2 By Type
7.2.2 Lead Acid
7.2.3 Nickel Metal Hydride
7.2.4 Nickel Cadmium
7.3 By Application
7.3.1 Automotive Batteries
7.3.2 Industrial Batteries
7.3.3 Portable Batteries
7.3.4 SLI Batteries
8. Regional Market Analysis (Market Overview, Market Size, and Demand Forecast until 2023)
8.1 North America
8.4 South America
8.5 Middle East & Africa
9. Key Company Profiles* (Overview, Financials**, Products & Services, SWOT Analysis, and Recent Developments)
9.1 BYD Co. Ltd.
9.2 C&D Technologies
9.3 East Penn Manufacturing Co.
9.5 Exide Industries
9.7 GS Yuasa Corporation
9.8 Johnson Controls Inc.
9.9 LG Chem Ltd.
9.10 Lishen Battery
9.11 Panasonic Corporation
9.12 Saft Groupe SA
9.13 Samsung SDI Co Ltd
9.15 Sony Corporation
(*List not Exhaustive)
10. Competitive Landscape
10.1 Mergers & Acquisitions
10.2 Joint Ventures, Collaborations and Agreements
10.3 Market Share Analysis
10.4 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
**Subject to availability on public domain