In an age where environmental consciousness and personal hygiene are becoming increasingly paramount, the demand for safe, economical, and biodegradable biosurfactants has never been more relevant. The biosurfactants market stands at the cusp of a promising expansion due to key developing trends driving market growth.
Sustainable practices along with rising consumer inclination towards eco-friendly, bioproducts are significantly stirring the market's trajectory. Especially important is the growth in the personal care industry in Asia-Pacific, signalling strong potential for biosurfactants consumption. A key development set to further pave the way for this market's growth is the rising innovation in the production methodology of biosurfactants, which is expected to optimize overall product cost offering a lucrative growth opportunity.
Biosurfactants are emerging as the safer alternative to synthetic surfactants and play a pivotal role in detergents and industrial cleaners, becoming increasingly prevalent due to their low toxicity, and ability to withstand temperature and pH fluctuations. Their use in the production of laundry and household cleaning products, especially in the Europe region, is expected to fuel the market's growth. The market analysis provided offers potential investors a golden opportunity to capitalize on this sound growth proposition. Your next great investment opportunity awaits. Dive into the report to learn more.
The COVID-19 pandemic negatively impacted the market in 2020. However, consciousness regarding personal hygiene and clean surroundings has increased in the current situation, stimulating the demand for personal and household cleaning products and enhancing the market growth of biosurfactants.
- Over the short term, the growing personal care industry in Asia-Pacific and rising consumer inclination toward using bioproducts are expected to drive the market’s growth.
- High production costs are likely to hinder the market's growth.
- Growing innovation in the production methods of the biosurfactants will optimize the overall cost of their products which is further expected to stage lucrative growth opportunities for the growth of the market studied.
- The Europe region is expected to dominate the market. However, Asia-Pacific is likely to witness the highest CAGR during the forecast period.
Biosurfactants Market Trends
Detergents and Industrial Cleaners Segment is Expected to Dominate the Market
- Surfactants serve a critical role in the formulation of laundry and household cleaning products. Chemical surfactants, softeners, oxidizing agents, and different enzymes are among the constituents of modern detergents.
- Furthermore, surfactants are all synthetically made and pose a threat to young aquatic life. The search for eco-friendly characteristic alternatives for compound surfactants in garment cleaners has been re-energized by the growing public awareness of environmental problems and risks associated with compound surfactants.
- Biosurfactants are preferable over chemical surfactants because of their low toxicity, the endurance of temperature and pH fluctuations, and high biodegradability. Above all, they have the advantage of being able to be made from renewable resources. Biosurfactant structures, such as glycolipids, lipopeptides, and polymeric surfactants, can be generated depending on the microbe and carbon and nitrogen sources employed. The interaction with the residue may differ depending on the structure of the biosurfactant.
- Biosurfactants, such as Cyclic Lipopeptide (CLP), are stable across a wide pH range (7.0-12.0) and do not lose their surface-dynamic properties when heated to high temperatures. They demonstrate excellent emulsion creation capability with vegetable oils, as well as outstanding resemblance and strength to commercial clothes cleaners, indicating that they should be considered in a clothing cleansers strategy.
- According to the Industry Association for Personal Care and Detergents e. V (IKW), revenues from laundry detergents and cleaning products in Germany accounted for EUR 5,092 million (~USD 6,024.60 million) in 2021, compared to EUR 5,246 million (~USD 5,989.49 million) in the previous year.
- According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, average annual expenditure on soaps and detergents per consumer unit in the United States accounted for USD 80.49 in 2021, compared to USD 75.53 in 2020.
- All such factors are likley to significantly impact the demand for the studied market.
Europe is Expected to Dominate the Market
- The European region accounted for the largest share of the regional market for biosurfactants. Owing to the presence of the largest consuming countries, such as Germany, the United Kingdom, France, and Italy, the demand for biosurfactants in the region is growing at a significant rate.
- Germany’s population has increased over the years, and awareness regarding personal care and hygiene is high. Hence, the usage of soaps and detergents is high. This, in turn, is expected to increase the usage of surfactants over the forecast period.
- The output from the German chemical industry is essential in various products, which include soaps, detergents, cosmetics, etc. More than 60 manufacturers of washing, care, and cleaning agents are present in the country.
- According to the VKE - Association of Marketing Companies for Cosmetic Products e. V, year-on-year revenue development in the cosmetics industry in Germany accounted for 0.4% in 2021, compared to -9% in 2020.
- The market for the soap and detergent manufacturing industry in the United Kingdom is dynamic, and the industry is known for strong product innovation, as the manufacturers compete to retain consumer interest.
- According to the Office for National Statistics in the United Kingdom, the revenue generated through the manufacturing of soap and detergents and cleaning and polishing preparations is likely to reach about USD 6,131.81 million by 2023.
- The oil and gas industry plays a vital role in the growth of the country’s economy. Although the United Kingdom is a mature petroleum province, the offshore oil industry in the country proved its resilience in the face of one of the most severe oil price downturns in recent years. The offshore oil industry in the United Kingdom is shallow-water-based, and deep-water accounts for a limited share.
Biosurfactants Market Competitor AnalysisThe biosurfactants market is consolidated, with the top five players holding a significant of market share. Some key players in the biosurfactants market (in no particular order) include Evonik Industries AG, BASF SE, Ecover, Jeneil, and Givaudan, among others.
Additional benefits of purchasing the report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
This product will be delivered within 2 business days.
Table of Contents1 INTRODUCTION
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Growing Personal Care Industry in Asia-Pacific
4.1.2 Rising Consumer Inclination Toward the Use of Bioproducts
4.2.1 High Production Cost
4.2.2 Other Restraints
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size in Value)
5.1 Product Type
5.1.1 Glycolipid (Rhamnolipids, Trehalolipids, and Sophorolipids)
5.1.5 Polymeric Biosurfactants
5.1.6 Other Product Types
5.2.1 Detergents and Industrial Cleaners
5.2.2 Cosmetics (Personal Care)
5.2.3 Food Processing
5.2.4 Oilfield Chemicals
5.2.5 Agricultural Chemicals
5.2.7 Other Applications
220.127.116.11 South Korea
18.104.22.168 ASEAN Countries
22.214.171.124 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.2 North America
126.96.36.199 United States
188.8.131.52 United Kingdom
184.108.40.206 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 South America
220.127.116.11 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
18.104.22.168 Saudi Arabia
22.214.171.124 South Africa
126.96.36.199 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Ranking Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 AGAE Technologies LLC
6.4.2 Biotensidon GmbH
6.4.3 Cognis Care Chemicals (BASF SE)
6.4.5 Evonik Industries AG
6.4.7 GlycoSurf LLC
6.4.9 Kaneka Corporation
6.4.10 Logos Technologies (Stepan Company)
6.4.11 Saraya Co. Ltd
6.4.12 Synthezyme LLC
6.4.13 TeeGene Biotech
7 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Innovation in Feasible Commercial Production of Bio-surfactants
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- AGAE Technologies LLC
- Biotensidon GmbH
- Cognis Care Chemicals (BASF SE)
- Evonik Industries AG
- GlycoSurf LLC
- Kaneka Corporation
- Logos Technologies (Stepan Company)
- Saraya Co. Ltd
- Synthezyme LLC
- TeeGene Biotech