Increase in Offshore Well Plug and Abandonment Activities Support Market Growth
Demand for offshore plug and abandonment in the Gulf of Mexico (GoM) is primarily driven by the increase in matured fields, ageing offshore platform infrastructure, damage to platforms and pipelines from hurricanes and other windstorms, among other factors. In 2016, twenty-one deepwater structures were decommissioned. Since 2009, usually one or two deepwater structures are being decommissioned per year. Outer Continental Shelf (OCS) of the United States had more than 2,185 platforms. Around 30% of the platforms are non-producing or “idle iron”, providing ample opportunity for plug and abandonment. Plug and abandonment is a type of well intervention that is expected to drive the market.
United States is the largest Market for Well Intervention.
As of February 2018, the United States has 968 active rigs and more than a million producing wells, including shale, and is one of the largest markets for well intervention in the world. In 2018, drilling activity in the United States is expected to be positive, with the addition of 51 active rig count in the first 40 days of the year. Permian is the largest hotspot for upstream activities in the country, and other regions are also growing significantly. Also, the government has opened around 98% its coastal water for drilling, which was earlier not allowed. As a result, the drilling activity is expected to further increase in the country. With the increase in drilling activity, demand for well intervention market is poised to grow.
Key Developments in the Market
- July 2017: General Electric completed its buyout of Baker Hughes Inc., merging it with its own oil & gas equipment and services operations to create the world's second-largest oilfield service provider by revenue. The new company is named "Baker Hughes, a GE Company”.
- January 2017: Schlumberger acquired Peak Well System, which is a specialist in the design and development of advanced downhole tools for well intervention, flow control, and well integrity.
Reasons to Purchase this Report
- Current and future North America well intervention market outlook in the developed and emerging markets
- Analyzing various perspectives of the market with the help of Porter’s five forces analysis
- The segment that is expected to dominate the market
- Countries that are expected to witness the fastest growth during the forecast period
- Identify the latest developments and strategies employed by the major market players
- 3 months analyst support, along with the Market Estimate sheet (in excel)
This report can be customized to meet your requirements. Please contact us for more information.
2. Research Methodology
3. Market Overview
3.2 Market Size and Demand Forecast until 2023
3.3 Recent Trends and Developments
4. Market Dynamics
5. Supply Chain Analysis
6. Industry Attractiveness - Porter’s Five Force Analysis
6.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
6.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
6.3 Threat of New Entrants
6.4 Threat of Substitutes
6.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
7. Market Segmentation and Analysis (Overview, Market Size, and Demand Forecast until 2023)
7.1 By Location of Deployment
8. Regional Market Analysis (Overview, Market Size, and Demand Forecast until 2023)
8.1 United States
8.4 Rest of North America
9. Key Company Analysis* (Overview, Products & Services, Financials**, Recent Development, and Analyst View)
9.1 Schlumberger Limited
9.2 Weatherford International PLC
9.3 Baker Hughes A GE Co
9.4 Halliburton Company
9.5 National Oilwell Varco
9.6 Superior Energy Services Inc.
9.7 Expro Group
9.9 Aker Solutions
9.10 ALTUS Intervention
10. Competitive Landscape
10.1 Mergers and Acquisitions
10.2 Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
10.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
*List not Exhaustive
**Subject to availability on public domain
- Schlumberger Limited
- Weatherford International PLC
- Baker Hughes A GE Co.
- Halliburton Company
- National Oilwell Varco
- Superior Energy Services Inc.
- Expro Group
- Aker Solutions
- ALTUS Intervention