The global oil glut has led the offshore helicopters industry to look for diversification of its business base to sustain in the market. As a result, the market players have started upgrading their global fleet to capture emerging markets, such as the offshore wind market, search, and rescue (SAR) operations and emergency medical services (EMS) markets, for new sources of revenue. The contract between Uni-Fly and CHC group with Dong Energy for the first phase of the Hornsea project, offshore UK- the current biggest wind farm of the world, is the perfect example of the expanding market base for the offshore helicopter industry.
The global offshore helicopter services market is highly concentrated in the North Sea and the Gulf of Mexico regions that gross around half of the global market revenue. The Middle East region is expected to be a key hotspot for offshore helicopter operations in the coming five years with a 20% increase in overall activity during 2018-2022. In Latin America, activity has nearly halved during the downturn, but it is likely to rebound at a faster pace, primarily driven by activity in Brazil.
Medium & Heavy-Sized Helicopters Offer Great Potential for Growth
A new generation of medium-sized helicopters, such as Airbus H175 and AW189, with high safety features, is expected to be adopted by a majority of the end-users. However, with the rising demand for cost optimization among the end-users, the need for large helicopters with an ability to transport further and with increased passenger capacity is also set to increase. Safety is detrimental for taking any decision across offshore operations. The recent crash of H225 helicopter in Norway questioned the safety standards of the industry and posed a global challenge in the current lower for longer oil price scenario. However, in the long term, the industry is projected to grow at a marginal pace with the influx of a more advanced helicopter fleet, increase in the production acreage of the end users and the rise in the drilling of offshore oil & gas fields.
Giant offshore helicopters service providers, such as Bristow, CHC Helicopter still get around 70%-80% of their gross revenue from servicing the offshore oil & gas industry.
With the operations and maintenance in the offshore segment of the oil & gas industry increasing in complexity, especially on ultra-deep-water and deep-water drilling operations, there exists a need for frequently transporting large helicopters at regular intervals. Moreover, the government regulations have become stringent on the number of people transported at a time and the type of helicopters that can fly in particular airspace. Thus, the demand for the medium and heavy type of helicopters is expected to grow during the forecast period significantly.
Increasing Offshore Oil & Gas Activities to Drive the Market
From the demand-side perspective, the demand for oil is expected to double by 2050, primarily driven by developing economies in the Asia-Pacific and African regions. The US crude oil production is also estimated to rise to 9.9 million b/d in 2018 up from 9.39 million b/d in October 2017, mainly attributed to the increased offshore E&P activities in the Gulf of Mexico region. With the oil prices stabilizing over USD 50 per barrel mark, similar trends are also expected to rise in other areas; especially in Western Europe, throughout Asia-Pacific, and most of Africa. Hence, the above developments in the offshore oil & gas industry are expected to have a positive impact on the offshore helicopter services market.
Key Developments in the Market
- March 2018: Thai Aviation Services signed a multi-year contract under which the company has started conducting their S-92 helicopter simulator training at the CAE Brunei Multi-Purpose Training Centre (MPTC). Thai Aviation Services, based in Bangkok, operates a fleet of S-92 helicopters used primarily for offshore oil & gas operations in the Gulf of Thailand.
Reasons to Purchase this Report
- Current and future global offshore helicopters market outlook in the developed and emerging markets
- Analyzing various perspectives of the market with the help of Porter’s five forces analysis
- The segment that is expected to dominate the market
- Regions that are expected to witness fastest growth during the forecast period
- Identify the latest developments, market shares, and strategies employed by the major market players
- 3-month analyst support, along with the Market Estimate sheet in excel
This report can be customized to meet your requirements. Please contact us for more information.
2. Research Methodology
3. Market Overview
3.2 Market Size and Demand Forecast until 2023
3.3 Recent Trends and Developments
3.4 Government Policies & Regulations
4. Market Dynamics
5. Industry Attractiveness - Porter’s Five Forces Analysis
5.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
5.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
5.3 Threat of New Entrants
5.4 Threat of Substitutes
5.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
6. Market Segmentation and Analysis (Overview, Market Size, and Demand Forecast until 2023)
6.1 By Type
6.1.2 Medium & Heavy
7. Regional Market Analysis (Overview, Market Size, and Demand Forecast until 2023)
7.1 North America
7.1.1 United States
7.2.6 Rest of Asia-Pacific
7.3.1 United Kingdom
7.3.3 Rest of Europe
7.4 Middle East & Africa
7.4.1 Saudi Arabia
7.4.4 Rest of Middle East & Africa
7.5 South America
7.5.3 Rest of South America
8. Key Company Analysis* (Overview, Products & Services, Financials**, Recent Development, and Analyst View)
8.1 Service Providers
8.1.1 Bristow Group Inc
8.1.2 CHC Group Ltd
8.1.3 Era Group Inc
8.1.4 PHI, Inc.
8.1.5 Abu Dhabi Aviation (ADA)
8.2.1 Airbus Group SE
8.2.2 Leonardo SpA
8.2.3 Textron Inc.
8.2.4 Lockheed Martin Corporation
9. Competitive Landscape
9.1 Mergers and Acquisitions
9.2 Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
9.3 Market Share Analysis
9.4 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
*List not Exhaustive
**Subject to availability on public domain