High Demand for Use in Orthopedics
Bioceramics have various properties, such as high biocompatibility, wear resistance, and thrombo resistance, which make them highly suitable for medical applications, like bone implants. Joint replacements are commonly coated with bioceramic materials, to reduce wear and inflammatory response. The global bioceramic market is dominated by the orthopedic segment. However, the orthopedic segment is expected to register the slowest growth over the forecast period, at a CAGR of 9.93%.
The orthopedic sector is expected to witness significant growth, due to increasing surgical intervention trend for shoulder, knee, and hip implants, at an early stage. The growing aging population has led to a rising incidence of osteoarthritis, which is expected to increase the consumption of bioceramics for knee and hip joint replacements and implants. Owing to its optimistic outlook toward the orthopedic sector, primarily in Germany, Europe is the largest market for bioceramics. Additionally, the hip and knee replacement sector is expected to grow in the United States. This can be attributed to the rising demand for joint designs with specific measurements of a patient, coupled with customer awareness about the various options available for replacements.
Europe Dominates the Market
Europe accounted for the highest share of about 43% of the global market, in 2017. The European segment is mainly driven by the demand for dental applications in Germany, United Kingdom, Italy, and France. An aging population and the increasing prevalence of lifestyle-related chronic diseases are expected to boost the demand for healthcare in the region, which further boosts the regional bioceramics market. North America is the fastest growing region for bioceramics and portrays huge potential for growth in the future owing to the increasing health care spending.
Germany is the Largest Consumer
Germany is the largest global consumer of bioceramics. The country holds approximately 17% share in the global bioceramics consumption. The growing demand from the healthcare sector, especially from the dental and orthopedic segments, is estimated to propel the demand for bioceramics in Germany.
Key Developments in the Market:
- March 2017: CeramTec announced that it has newly developed a dental ceramic, Zirconium Oxide Bright.
- March 2017: Bonesupport extended its United States Distribution Agreement for CERAMENT™, bone void filler.
- January 2017: Amedica announced the successful completion of the first Taurus™ pedicle screw system surgery.
Reasons to purchase this report
- Market definition, along with the identification of factors instrumental in changing the market scenario and prospective opportunities.
- Various market perspectives, with the help of Porter’s five forces analysis.
- Regions or countries that are expected to witness the fastest growth during the forecast period.
- The product segment that is expected to dominate the market over the forecast period.
- The latest developments, market shares, and strategies that are employed by the major market players.
- 3 months analyst support along with the Market Estimation sheet (in excel).
This report can be customized to meet your requirements. Please contact us for more information.
1.1 Research Phases
1.2 Study Deliverables
1.3 Scope of the Report
2. Executive Summary
3. Market Insights
3.1 Industry Value-Chain Analysis
3.2 Industry Attractiveness – Porter’s Five Forces Analysis
3.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
3.2.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
3.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
3.2.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
3.2.5 Degree of Competition
4. Market Dynamics
4.1.1 Growing Demand from Biocompatible Materials
4.1.2 Increasing Usage in Dental Care
4.1.3 Increase in Ageing Population Leading to Increase in Spinal and Ortho-Biological Surgeries
4.1.4 Increasing Usage for Replacing Diseased Heart Tissues of the Body
4.2.1 Stringent Clinical and Regulatory Processes
4.2.2 Other Restraints
4.3.1 Possible Usage As Treatment For Cancer
4.3.2 Developing Methods To Produce Customized Nano-Ceramics
5. Market Segmentation and Analysis
5.1 By Material
5.1.1 Aluminum Oxide
5.1.3 Calcium Phosphate
5.1.4 Calcium Sulphate
5.2 By Type
5.3 By Application
6. Regional Market Analysis
6.1.4 South Korea
6.1.5 Australia & New Zealand
6.1.6 Rest of Asia-Pacific
6.2 North America
6.2.1 United States
6.2.4 Rest of North America
6.3.2 United Kingdom
6.3.7 Rest of Europe
6.4 South America
6.4.3 Rest of South America
6.5 Middle-East and Africa
6.5.1 Saudi Arabia
6.5.2 South Africa
6.5.3 Rest of Middle East and Africa
7. Future of the Market
8. Competitive Landscape
8.1 Mergers & Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
8.2 Market Share Analysis**
8.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
9. Company Profiles (Overview, Financials**, Products & Services, Recent Developments, and Analyst View)
9.1 Amedica Corporation
9.2 Berkeley Advanced Biomaterials, Inc.
9.3 Bonesupport AB
9.5 Carborundum Universal Ltd.
9.7 Collagen Matrix
9.9 Dentsply Sirona
9.10 Doceram Medical Ceramics GmbH
9.11 Jyoti Ceramic Industries Pvt. Ltd.,
9.12 Kyocera Corporation
9.13 Morgan Advanced Materials
9.14 Nobel Biocare Holding AG
9.15 Sagemax Bioceramics
9.17 The Royal DSM Company
9.18 Tosoh Corporation
*List not exhaustive
**Subject to availability on public domain
- Amedica Corporation
- Berkeley Advanced Biomaterials Inc.
- Bonesupport AB
- Carborundum Universal Ltd.
- Collagen Matrix
- Dentsply Sirona
- Doceram Medical Ceramics GmbH
- Jyoti Ceramic Industries Pvt. Ltd.
- Kyocera Corporation
- Morgan Advanced Materials
- Nobel Biocare Holding AG
- Sagemax Bioceramics
- The Royal DSM Company
- Tosoh Corporation