Grease is a semi-solid lubricant. Industrial and automotive greases are its primary categories. It is a mixture of a fluid lubricant (usually petroleum oil) and a thickener (soap) dispersed in the oil. The base oil (petroleum oil) can even be pre-used lubricant. Thickener plays an important role in the mixture as a sponge that holds the lubricant oil. Soap thickeners are produced by the reaction between metallic hydroxide or an alkali with a fat/fatty acid or ester. The different types of soaps used in this production are calcium soap, aluminum soap, lithium soap and sodium soap. Sodium soaps are stable at high temperatures while lithium ones are resistant to both heat and moisture.
Robust Demand from Specialized Applications
The manufacturing and other industrial activities are consistently increasing across the world, which in turn is increasing the demand for grease in related industries, such as mining and automotive. The present-day businesses, owing to the growing competition, are pushing their industrial, manufacturing and mining equipment to their limits; the equipment and machines are operating in extreme work conditions and temperatures. As a result, the end-user industries have started using advanced or high-performance greases to maintain the efficiency and performance of the machinery.
Several types of greases are proven to be in-efficient in machines that are subjected to extreme working conditions. For instance, ~ 50% of all bearing failures are related to lubrication. The bearing areas demand the use of specifically-designed, advanced greases, which does not hamper the machine performance. With the rise in running speed and operating time of the equipment, the demand for and usage of advanced greases is continuously increasing.
Asia-Pacific leading the Demand
Asia-Pacific is the largest market in terms of demand for greases, with over 40% of the global share in 2017. China, India and Indonesia are expected to be leading countries witnessing strong demand for grease consumption during the forecast period. Asia-Pacific has been a potential region for the growth in the automotive production and sales, with countries such as China and India exhibiting constant growth rates since the past few years. Other end-user industries such as construction, manufacturing are growing, with increasing investments in ASEAN countries, which is further contributing to the growth of the lubricants consumption as a whole and grease in particular, in the region.
Key Developments in the Market:
- July 2017: Chevron Corporation divested its majority stake in Chevron Oil Nigeria PLC, to another Nigerian indigenous downstream player, MRS Group.
- April 2017: Japan’s JX Holdings Inc. and TonenGeneral Sekiyu K.K finalized an agreement to form the country’s biggest oil refiner, JXTG.
- March 2017: Indian Oil Corporation Ltd. entered an agreement with Nepal Oil Corporation, to supply POL (petroleum, oil, and lubricant) products.
Reason to purchase this Report
- Current and future of the global grease market in the developed and emerging markets
- Analyzing various perspectives of the market with the help of Porter’s five forces analysis
- The segment that is expected to dominate the market
- Regions that are expected to witness fastest growth during the forecast period
- Identify the latest developments, market shares, and strategies employed by the major market players
- 3 months analyst support, along with the Market Estimate sheet (in excel).
This report can be customized to meet your requirements. Please contact us for more information.
1.1 Research Phases
1.2 Scope of the Report
1.3 Study Deliverables
2. Executive Summary
3. Market Insights
3.1 Industry Value Chain Analysis
3.2 Industry Attractiveness- Porters Five Forces Analysis
3.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
3.2.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
3.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
3.2.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
3.2.5 Degree of Competition
4. Market Dynamics
4.1.1 Development of Advanced Greases for High-End Applications
4.1.2 Growth of Manufacturing Industries in Developing Countries
4.2.1 Stringent Environmental Regulations
4.2.2 Other Restraints
4.3.1 Introduction of High-Performance Grease Products
4.3.2 Other Opportunities
5. Market Segmentation & Analysis (Market Size, Growth and Forecast)
5.1 By Thickeners
5.1.1 Metal Soaps
5.1.2 Other Thickeners
5.2 By End-User Industry
5.2.1 Power Generation
5.2.2 Automotive & Other trans.
5.2.3 Heavy Equipment
5.2.4 Food & Beverage
5.2.5 Metallurgy & Metal Working
5.2.6 Chemical Manufacturing
6. Regional Market Analysis (Market Size, Growth and Forecast)
6.1.4 South Korea
6.1.10 Rest of Asia - Pacific
6.2.8 Rest of Europe
6.3 North America
6.3.1 United States
6.3.4 Rest of North America
6.4 South America
6.4.5 Rest of South America
6.5 Middle East
6.5.1 Saudi Arabia
6.5.6 Rest of Middle-East & Africa
6.6.2 South Africa
6.6.6 Rest of Africa
7. Competitive Landscape
7.1 Mergers, Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations & Agreements
7.2 Market Share Analysis**
7.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
8. Company Profiles (Overview, Financials**, Products & Services, Recent Developments)
8.1 Axel Christiernsson
8.3 Bel-Ray Company, LLC
8.7 Dow Corning
8.8 ETS Australia
8.9 Exxon Mobil Corp.
8.11 Gazpromneft - Lubricants, Ltd
8.12 JX Nippon Oil & Energy Co.,
8.13 Klüber Lubrication.
8.16 Orlen Oil
8.17 Penrite Oil
8.18 Petromin Corporation
8.24 Total SA
*List Not Exhaustive
**Subject to availability on public domain
- Axel Christiernsson
- Bel-Ray Company LLC
- Dow Corning
- ETS Australia
- Exxon Mobil Corp.
- Gazpromneft - Lubricants Ltd
- JX Nippon Oil & Energy Co.,
- Klüber Lubrication.
- Orlen Oil
- Penrite Oil
- Petromin Corporation
- Total SA