Type 2 Diabetes (T2D) is a chronic disease characterized by insulin resistance and pancreatic ß-cell failure, with an underlying genetic predisposition heavily influenced by diet and lifestyle. Insulin is a hormone that regulates the glucose level in blood. Raised blood sugar (hyperglycemia) is an immediate consequence of diabetes, and over time leads to serious tissue damage, affecting the heart, blood vessels, eyes, kidneys, and nerves. The T2D pipeline features 551 products across all stages of clinical development, with non-“me-too” drugs prominently featured in early-stage clinical trials. Early-stage novel drug classes include G protein-coupled receptor 119 (GPR119) agonists, glucokinase (GK) activators, protein tyrosine phosphatase 1B inhibitors, (GLP-1R)/glucagon receptor (GCGR) dual agonists, and a number of other novel agents.
T2D is the most investigated indication within Metabolic Diseases, with 7,840 clinical trials, followed by Obesity (2,179) and Type 1 Diabetes (1,661). The analysis is based on clinical trials initiated from 1995 to the current date.
Overall, the author expects new drug approvals to drive T2D market growth over the next decade (2016-2026).
In particular, it provides an in-depth analysis of the following:
- Pipeline Assessment: regional breakdown, promising late-stage products, early-stage pipeline by molecule type
- Clinical Trials Assessment: trial breakdown by phase, leading industry and non-industry sponsors, enrollment analytics
- Commercial Assessment: leading marketed products, current and future players
- Competitive Landscape Analysis: key market events (2016-2026)
This report combines data from the Pharma Intelligence Center with in-house analyst expertise to provide a competitive assessment of the disease marketplace.
Components of the slide deck include:
- Pipeline Assessment-regional breakdown, promising late-stage products, early-stage pipeline by molecule type
- Clinical Trials Assessment-trial breakdown by phase, leading industry and non-industry sponsors, enrollment analytics
- Commercial Assessment-leading marketed products, current and future players
- Competitive Landscape Analysis-key market events (2016-2026).
- Develop and design your in-licensing and out-licensing strategies through a review of pipeline products and technologies, and by identifying the companies with the most robust pipeline.
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the global Type 2 Diabetes (T2D) market.
- Drive revenues by understanding the key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments, and companies likely to impact the global Type 2 Diabetes (T2D) market in the future.
- Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analyzing the performance of various competitors.
- Identify emerging players with potentially strong product portfolios and create effective counter-strategies to gain a competitive advantage.
- Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present maximum opportunities for consolidations, investments, and strategic partnerships.
2. Executive Summary
2.2 Key Findings
2.2 Key Events
3.1 Report Scope
3.2 Disease Definition and Epidemiology Overview
4. Pipeline Assessment
4.1 Pipeline Overview
4.2 Pipeline Breakdown by Region/Country
4.3 Pipeline Breakdown by Molecule Type and Target
4.4 Drug Review Designations
4.5 Products in Clinical Development
5. Clinical Trial Assessment
5.1 Clinical Trials Overview
5.2 Top Sponsors of Clinical Trials in T2D
5.3 Trial Breakdown by Region
5.4 Therapy Area Perspective
5.5 Enrollment Analytics
5.6 T2D Clinical Trials with CV Outcomes
6 Commercial Assessment
6.1 Leading Marketed Products
6.2 Current & Future Players
7. Competitor Landscape Analysis (2016-2026)
7.1 Events and Segmentation Overview
7.4 Japan, China, and India
8.3 Key Events Included in the Analysis
8.4 About the Authors