Mechanical Behaviour of Biomaterials focuses on the interface between engineering and medicine, where new insights into engineering aspects will prove to be extremely useful in their relation to the biomedical sciences and their applications. The book's main objective focuses on the mechanical behavior of biomaterials, covering key aspects, such as mechanical properties, characterization and performance. Particular emphasis is given to fatigue, creep and wear, fracture, and stress and strain relationships in biomaterials. Chapters look at both experimental and theoretical results. Readers will find this to be an essential reference for academics, biomechanical researchers, medical doctors, biologists, chemists, physicists, mechanical, biomedical and materials engineers and industrial professionals.
- Presents contributions from international experts
- Provides insights at the interface of disciplines, such as engineering and the medical and dental sciences
- Presents a comprehensive understanding on the mechanical properties of biomaterials
- Covers surface and bulk properties
1. Introduction 2. Biomechanics 3. Fatigue, creep and wear properties of biomaterials 4. Fracture mechanics 5. Measurement of mechanical properties in biomaterials 6. Mechanical characterization of biomaterials 7. Mechanical performance of biomaterials 8. Medical and dental science 9. Medical devices 10. Stress/strain relationships for biomaterials 11. Tribocorrosion
J. Paulo Davim is a Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering of the University of Aveiro, Portugal. He has more than 30 years of teaching and research experience in Manufacturing, Materials and Mechanical Engineering with special emphasis in Machining & Tribology. He has also interest in Management & Industrial Engineering and Higher Education for Sustainability & Engineering Education. He has received several scientific awards, has worked as evaluator of projects for international research agencies as well as examiner of Ph.D. thesis for many universities. He is the Editor in Chief of several international journals, Guest Editor of journals, books Editor, book Series Editor and Scientific Advisory for many international journals and conferences. Presently, he is an Editorial Board member of 30 international journals and acts as reviewer for more than 80 prestigious Web of Science journals. In addition, he has also published as editor of more than 100 books and as author of more than 10 books, 60 book chapters and 400 articles in journals and conferences.