4 Step Certification Process:
- Register for the Certification Program
- Study using a Study Guide, resources, and required books
- Complete and pass the exam
- Benefit from the 10+ Alumni benefits and resources
Registration for the GEC program is open year round with examinations offered every month. Examinations are held online on the 10th of the month, and all examinations are completed online from anywhere in the world using a computer or tablet.
After registering for the GEC, you are welcome to schedule your examination date. There is no deadline to schedule your examination, but you must take your examination within one (1) year of registering for the course, and you must wait at least six weeks before taking the GEC examination after registering for the course. This delay is imposed by the course administrator to protect the integrity of the course; the minimum amount of study time necessary to take the examination is six weeks.
- January 10th - Must be registered by December 1st
- February 10th - Must be registered by January 1st
- March 10th - Must be registered by February 1st
- April 10th - Must be registered by March 1st
- May 10th - Must be registered by April 1st
- June 10th - Must be registered by May 1st
- July 10th - Must be registered by June 1st
- August 10th - Must be registered by July 1st
- September 10th - Must be registered by August 1st
- October 10th - Must be registered by September 1st
- November 10th - Must be registered by October 1st
- December 10th - Must be registered by November 1st
Candidates must download the required readings laid out in the study guide. The Glossary also provides some additional ideas on what to pay attention to within the readings but doesn’t cover everything that will be on the exam. The GEC exams are conceptual in nature and require more of an understanding than a great ability to memorize facts.
Preparation time for this exam depends greatly on each candidate’s current knowledge, experience, reading speed and comprehension. It is impossible to calculate how much time a specific individual would need to prepare, but we suggest 75-100 hours of reading/study time.
In order to complete the exam in the allotted time, participants are required to gain a mastery of the core energy industry concepts covered in the required readings. Those who have not read the material may have difficulty in completing the exam within the 2 hour time limit, and are encouraged to not take the examination until reading/study is complete.
Tuition and Fees:
The fee covers both the application process, course materials, and one examination.
Exam Retakes = £175 (or equivalent in USD or EUR)
Registration Limitation: in order to protect the integrity of the course and course materials, registration is limited to a small group of just 200 professionals per quarter worldwide and spaces will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis. If you would like to join the GEC program please reserve your spot today.If you unable to take the exam within the 12 months following registration, you can I move it to a future exam date. Please contact us BEFORE the expiry of the 12 months. We are here to help, and we can usually accommodate you for no additional cost. If you do not contact us within the 12 month period following registration but still wish to sit your examination a £175 fee to reschedule your exam will be incurred.
The GEC Designation Program is a 100% online continuing education course. The GEC certifies that you have mastered a certain breadth and depth of energy industry knowledge to help you excel within your current energy industry position or enter the energy industry.
- To raise the professional standards of those engaged in the global energy industry.
- To improve the practice of energy management by encouraging energy managers in a continuing program of professional development.
- To identify persons with acceptable knowledge of the principles and practices of the global energy industry and its related disciplines and laws governing and affecting energy managers through completing an examination and fulfilling prescribed standards of performance and conduct.
- To award special recognition to those global energy professionals who have demonstrated a high level of competence and ethical fitness for energy industry issues.
The Global Energy Certification for professional achievement and development aims to provide participants with enhanced capabilities and a good understanding of today’s energy technological challenges, thereby enabling their progression to the forefront of innovation and project development in a context of complexity, high uncertainty and severe competition.
Participants can expect to leave the program with:
- An understanding of the energy business environment and its fundamental economic and technological concepts and terminology.
- An in-depth knowledge of energy technologies, industries and markets.
- The ability to assess and develop strategies to address major issues in energy regulation and policy.
- A thorough and practical approach to financial, legal, and regulatory issues and resources related to the global energy industry.
- International Energy Industry Terminology - 10 Multiple Choice Questions
- Renewable Energy & Biofuels - 20 Multiple Choice Questions
- Electricity Generation, Transmission & Distribution, and the Smart Grid - 20 Multiple Choice Questions
- Electricity & Gas Deregulation - 10 Multiple Choice Questions
- Oil Reserves & Shale Oil - 10 Multiple Choice Questions
- Natural Gas Industry - 15 Multiple Choice Questions
- Energy Efficiency - 15 Multiple Choice Questions
The GEC Certification is the Mark Of an Energy Professional:
Since its inception, the GEC credential has become widely accepted and used as a measure of professional achievement and development within the global energy industry. It has gained industry-wide use as the standard for qualifying energy professionals both in the United Kingdom, the European Union, the United States, Canada and abroad. It is recognized by numerous national energy offices, financial houses, major utilities, corporations and energy service companies. When you’ve earned the right to put the initials GEC behind your name, you’ve distinguished yourself among energy management professionals. Simply put, the designation GEC, which stands for Global Energy Certification, recognizes individuals who have demonstrated high levels of experience, competence, proficiency, and ethical fitness in the energy profession.
By attaining the status of GEC, you will be joining an elite group of professionals serving industry, business and government throughout the world. These high-achieving individuals comprise a “Who’s Who” in the energy field.
The Global Energy Certification is:
- A flexible distance learning programme that enables candidates to combine executive studies with a full-time job.
- Taught and tested in English, and administered by a professional independent online examination organisation.
- Developed by a global leader in Energy Market Research, in cooperation with leading companies and institutions in the energy field.
- Focused on corporate energy issues, key industry terms and terminology and professional skills.
- A truly international, cross-cultural interactive learning environment, with a focus on personal and energy leadership development
- An opportunity to develop energy research, analyst and consultancy skills.
- A programme which incorporates recognised industry leading market research reports and databases as part of its syllabus.
- An excellent networking opportunity aided by a vast database of clients.
- Provided by an Energy Research and Intelligence institution with proven global excellence whose clients include Goldman Sachs, McKinsey & Company, Boston Consulting, the World Bank, Citibank, Schneider Electric, Siemens, ABB, Bloomberg, and many other prominent international organisations and governments worldwide.
The GEC Designation is designed to ensure that participants master a certain level of energy industry knowledge across ten learning modules. This certification provides them with the necessary knowledge and skills to become an efficient and effective member of an energy industry management, sales, consulting, or analyst team.
Participants in the GEC Program could include:
- Management Consultants
- Financial Traders
- Due Diligence professionals
- Marketers & Sales Professionals
- Professors & trainers
- Commodity Trading Advisers (CTAs) & Forex Fund Managers
- Investor Relations Professionals
While nothing can replace years of industry experience, the program aims to increase the breadth of energy industry knowledge that current industry professionals hold and assist those individuals transitioning into the global energy industry.