Europe’s population was estimated to be 833 million at 2017-end and will reach 843 million by 2022-end. Declining birth rates in Europe will result in slower population growth of 0.2% CAGR over the 2017-2022 period. With this Mobile user penetration reached 81% in 2017, making it the region with the highest number of unique mobile users.
The region is expected to register a significant growth in the M2M subscriptions as well and will add up 103m subscriptions by 2022; mainly driven by emerging IoT opportunities. MNOs in Europe are focusing on development of IoT solutions suitable for various industries.MNOs are focusing on data monetization by offering fixed-mobile converged offers, quad-play bundles and special packages designed for OTT and social media applications.
Meanwhile, 5G subscriptions will come online in Europe by the end of 2018. By year-end 2022, there will be 67 million 5G subscriptions in the region. This will help operators in Europe to generate a cumulative $1+ trillion in mobile service revenue with data services revenue accounting for over 55% of total mobile service revenue.
The report "Mobile Broadband Trends in Europe", provides an executive-level overview of the mobile broadband market in Europe. It delivers quantitative and qualitative insights into the mobile market, analyzing key trends in the region.
Companies mentioned in this report: 4ka, Salt, BASE, Tele2, Deutsche Telekom, Telefonica, Drillisch, Telenet, Free Mobile, Telia Company, Freenet, Tesco Mobile, Hofer (Aldi), Three Group (Three, Drei, Tre), MASMOVIL, T-Mobile, MTS, United Internet, NOS, Vodafone, O2, WIND, OPTIMUS, Yoigo, Orange, ZIGGO, Proximus, ZON
- In the last three years, telcos have actively sought fixed-mobile convergence opportunities to offer complete portfolio of products to their customers and maximize revenue, following the saturation of the mobile market in Europe, both in terms of the number of players and services.
- Data consumption in Europe is booming and the author expects average data consumption to double between 2017 and 2022.
- M2M cellular connectivity will contribute to overall telco revenue but also initiate a shift at the technological level in Europe in the next five years.
- This Insider Report provides a comprehensive examination through forward-looking analysis of Europe’s mobile telecommunications markets trends in a concise format to help executives build proactive and profitable growth strategies.
- Accompanying Forecast products, the report examines the assumptions and drivers behind ongoing and upcoming trends in Europe’s mobile communications markets.
- With more than 20 charts and tables, the report is designed for an executive-level audience, boasting presentation quality.
- The broad perspective of the report coupled with comprehensive, actionable detail will help operators, equipment vendors and other telecom industry players succeed in the challenging telecommunications market in Europe.
- Key takeaways
- Europe highlights
- Section 1: Europe in a global context
- Europe main facts
- Europe demographics
- Europe in a global context
- Section 2: Competitive dynamics
- Section 3: Mobile broadband subscription trends in Europe
- Mobile user trends in Europe
- Mobile technology trends in Europe
- 5G innovators
- Mobile device trends in Europe
- M2M trends in Europe
- Mobile traffic trends in Europe
- Section 4: Mobile broadband revenue trends in Europe
- Section 5: Key findings
Exhibit 1: Population
Exhibit 2: Nominal GDP
Exhibit 3: Real GDP growth
Exhibit 4: User penetration
Exhibit 5: Subscription penetration
Exhibit 6: Prepaid subscriptions
Exhibit 7: Monthly ARPU
Exhibit 8: Data as share of total ARPU
Exhibit 9: Monthly voice MoU
Exhibit 10: MVNO subscriptions and share of total mobile subscriptions
Exhibit 11: Top MVNOs in Europe in terms of market share in their countries
Exhibit 12: Mobile users
Exhibit 13: Mobile subscriptions and penetration
Exhibit 14: Mobile subscriptions by technology generation
Exhibit 15: Top five European markets in terms of 5G subscriptions as percentage of total
Exhibit 16: Mobile subscriptions by device type
Exhibit 17: Net additions by device type
Exhibit 18: Mobile handsets subscriptions by type
Exhibit 19: M2M subscriptions and revenue
Exhibit 20: Total mobile data traffic by payment type
Exhibit 21: Mobile ARPU in Europe
Exhibit 22: Spend on 1GB of data as percentage of PPPAdjusted GDP per capita
Exhibit 23: Mobile service revenue by device type
Exhibit 24: Fastest growing markets in terms of mobile service revenue
- Deutsche Telekom
- Free Mobile
- Telia Company
- Tesco Mobile
- Hofer (Aldi)
- Three Group (Three
- United Internet