- The Zika virus was first reported in continental South America in Brazil in May 2015. In February 2016, between 440,000 and 1,300,000 people were infected in Brazil. In the US, about 225 Zika virus cases were reported in August 2017. In addition, 554 cases were reported in people infected through local mosquito-borne transmission. Furthermore, autochthonous Zika virus transmission was reported in 25 countries in the Americas, Africa, and Asia.
- In 2016, it was estimated that there were between 508 and 1,778 imported cases in Europe, particularly in France, Portugal, and Italy.
- The majority of industry-sponsored drugs in active clinical development for Zika virus are in Phase I, with just a single product in Phase II.
- Therapies in early-to-mid-stage development for Zika virus focus on the immune system and viral antigens. Candidates comprise DNA vaccines such as NIH’s Zika Virus Vaccine and GeneOne’s GLS-5700; Moderna’s mRNA vaccine; Themis Bioscience’s recombinant viral vector vaccine; Imutex’s AGS-v vaccine; Johnson & Johnson’s Ad26.ZIKV.001 vaccine; and Takeda’s TAK-426 vaccine.
- There were eight licensing and asset acquisition activities involving Zika virus drugs during 2013-17, all of which occurred in either 2016 or 2017. The exclusive 2017 agreement between Emergent BioSolutions and Valneva - worth $58.3m - for the global rights to Valneva’s Zika vaccine technology and ZIKV-VLA1601, was the largest deal during the period.
- The clinical trials distribution across Phases I-IV indicates that the trials for Zika virus are only in the early phase of development. All industry-sponsored clinical trials are ongoing, with one trial each for Takeda and Themis Bioscience. Takeda and Themis Bioscience both have one trial in Phase I.
LICENSING AND ASSET ACQUISITION DEALS
Emergent BioSolutions gets global rights to Valneva's Zika vaccine technology
Sun Evaluating Plant-Based Candidates To Treat Zika
Spotlight Innovation gets license to FSURF's Zika candidates
Heat Biologics Gets Zika IP From University Of Miami
Takeda In Hot Pursuit Of Zika Vaccine With $312m US Contract
GSK/NIH 'SAM' Strategy May Reap Benefits Beyond Zika
Sanofi Teams With US Military On Zika, But Not For The Profits
CLINICAL TRIAL LANDSCAPE
Sponsors by status
Sponsors by phase
List of Figures
Figure 1: Overview of pipeline drugs for Zika virus in the US
Figure 2: Pipeline drugs for Zika virus, by company
Figure 3: Pipeline drugs for Zika virus, by drug type
Figure 4: Pipeline drugs for Zika virus, by classifications
Figure 5: Licensing and asset acquisition deals in Zika virus, 2013-18
Figure 6: Clinical trials in Zika virus
Figure 7: Top 10 drugs for clinical trials in Zika virus
Figure 8: Top 10 companies for clinical trials in Zika virus
Figure 9: Zika virus trial locations
Figure 10: Zika virus trials status
Figure 11: Zika virus trials sponsors, by phase
List of Tables
Table 1: Recent epidemiological updates on Zika virus
Table 2: Zika virus cases timeline
Table 3: Pipeline drugs for Zika virus in the US