The automotive industry has undergone various technological advancements in both, passenger and commercial vehicles, over the last couple of years. The global market has acknowledged these advancements while adopting these vehicles. Automotive seatbelt pretensioner is one of the technologies that have been developed and has gained much attention from automotive companies. Initially, the pretensioner technique was used in military aircrafts but was later designed for automotive, considering the high chances of head-on collision. With the increasing vehicle production and growing public awareness, the demand for automotive seat belt pretensioner has also increased. An automotive seatbelt pretensioner is a part of the passive safety system, which helps to mitigate negative consequences in the event of a collision. The other components of the passive safety system (inactive until the crash) are airbags and strong body structures.
Seatbelt Pretensioner Market Trends and Segmentation
By pretensioner type, the market is segmented into retractor and buckle. Among these types, the retractor type is expected to dominate the market during the forecast period. By vehicle type, the market has been segmented into passenger vehicles and commercial vehicles (light and heavy). However, the increasing sales of passenger cars are clear evidence to conclude the dominance of the passenger car segment during the forecast period. According to statistics, in 2017, some 26 million vehicles were sold globally. The United States is the largest market for commercial vehicles. It is also predicted that increased demand for cars from customers in Asia and North America will successfully offset declining vehicle sales volumes in Russia and Brazil, and help automobile manufacturers sell over 81 million vehicles by the end of 2018.
Nowadays, almost all vehicles in the United States and the European region come equipped with airbags, which have the most advanced passive safety systems. However, in developing countries, the use of airbags in vehicles is very less as compared to their developed counterparts, rather, the presence of pretensioners is seen in almost all types of vehicles, and thus, they have a more significant and broader customer base compared to airbags. However, the airbag market is expected to grow, as many nations are taking steps toward making airbags a compulsion in all new vehicles. For example, India, a primary automotive market, has announced plans to make airbags and ABS compulsory in all car models, post-October 2018. It goes without saying that the safety systems add to the cost of automobiles, because of which the pretensioners are not so conventional among all automobiles as of now. However, what drives the seatbelt pretensioner market is the increasing disposable incomes across nations, which leads to the demand for luxury cars with safety solutions, globally.
APAC occupies the largest share by volume and value, due to the high vehicle sales in the region. The market is relatively consolidated, with about five players accounting for more than 50% of the market share, and the acquisition of Takata might also result in a change of company-wise market shares. According to Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration in the United States, seat belt usage by commercial drivers has jumped from 65% to 86% over the past decade. In the European region, Germany is a major market for seatbelt pretensioners. This is because of the presence of major automobile manufacturers in this region.
Key Developments in the Market:
- September 2017: Automotive seating suppliers Adient and Autoliv to collaborate for passenger safety. The collaboration’s initial focus will be on optimal integration of Autoliv’s safety components into the non-traditional seating arrangements of the future car and on enhancing existing seat-mounted airbag systems and new far-side systems for Euro NCAP.
- February 2018: ZF has made a lightweight seatbelt retractor pretensioner. They used a unique technology which has lighter weight, with plastic material allowing the overall system weight to decrease by more than 20%.
Reasons to Purchase this Report
- Analyzing various perspectives of the market with the help of Porter’s five forces analysis
- Detailed analysis on the product type that is expected to dominate the market
- Detailed analysis on the regions that are expected to witness fastest growth during the forecast period
- Identifying the latest developments, market shares, and strategies employed by the major market players.
- 3-month analyst support, along with the Market Estimate sheet (in Excel)
This report can be customized to meet your requirements. Please connect with our analyst, who will ensure you get a report that suits your need.
1.1 Study Deliverables
1.2 General Study Assumptions
2. Research Methodology
2.2 Analysis Methodology
3. Executive Summary
4. Market Overview and Technological Trends
4.1 Current Market Scenario
4.2 Technology Trends
4.3 Porter's Five Forces Model
4.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of the Consumers
4.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4 Threat of Substitutes
4.3.5 Competitive Rivalry
5. Market Dynamics
5.1.1 Increasing Awareness and Stringent Safety Regulations
5.1.2 Demand for Luxury Cars with Safety Solutions
6. Automotive Seatbelt Pretensioners Market Segmentation, By Type
6.1 Retractor Pretensioner
6.2 Buckle Pretensioner
7. Automotive Seatbelt Pretensioners Market Segmentation By Vehicle Type
7.1 Passenger Cars
7.2 Light Commercial Vehicles
7.3 Heavy Commercial Vehicles
8. Automotive Seatbelt Pretensioners Market Segmentation By Region
8.1 North America
8.1.1 United States
8.1.4 Rest of North America
8.2.1 United Kingdom
8.2.6 Rest of Europe
8.3.4 Rest of APAC
8.4 Rest of the World
9. Competitive Landscape
9.2 Market Share Analysis
10. Company Profiles
10.1 Zf Friedrichshafen AG
10.3 Itw Safety
10.5 Hyundai Motor
10.6 Special Devices Inc.
10.7 Iron Force Industrial Co. Ltd
10.9 Tokai Rika Co. Ltd
10.9 Far Europe Holding Limited
11. Outlook of the Market