The key carriers in the market studied are preparing to launch both VoLTE and VoWiFi services for the consumers only once these services are stable, so that quality is not compromised. They are also contemplating the best way to advertise the two services, so that consumers value the quality of voice calling and perceive the enhancements provided, as value added services (VAS). This leads to the neutralization of the declining trend of smartphone users not making phone calls and moving to OTT alternatives. Over the long term, most operators are expected to launch both VoWiFi and VoLTE services, as a natural evolution toward an all-IP-based communication. However, over the short term, some of the carriers may choose to launch one of the two services first, and their decision is expected to be mainly influenced by three main factors, including the need to improve indoor coverage, potential cost savings, and the customers’ interest toward enhanced communication services.
Numerous Advantageous Features of VoWiFi to Drive Inclination toward Adoption
Major carriers are expected to use VoWiFi services to extend coverage, especially indoors, and thereby help improve customer satisfaction. Currently, a significant share of mobile calls are made indoors (at least twice as many smartphone users make voice calls indoors than outdoors). However, providing good internal coverage can be expensive and technically complex, particularly for internal rooms and lower floors. VoWiFi extends reach at a comparatively low marginal cost and it is further expected that VoWiFi may reduce operator costs, as calls placed on a smartphone would be carried over the consumer’s broadband network, freeing up some cellular capacity. The global voice over Wi-Fi (vowifi) market has been segmented on the basis of voice client and device type. On the basis of voice client, the market studied has been bifurcated as integrated VoWiFi client, separate VoWiFi client, and browser VoWiFi client. Furthermore, on the basis of device type, the voice over WiFi (VoWiFi) market is segmented as smartphone, router, and others (laptop, notebook, tablet, etc.).
Key Developments in the Market
- February 2017 -Telefónica Deutschland rolled out a project to provide voice over Wi-Fi (VoWiFi) and voice over LTE (VoLTE) to its 48.4 million strong customer base. Both the services will be available to prepaid and contract customers with compatible handsets.
- February 2017 -Nokia and China Unicom revealed that they would be deploying a cloud-native core network based on Nokia’s AirGile technology, in seven Chinese provinces. The deployment of the Nokia cloud-native core network is expected to facilitate China Unicom, to deliver VoLTE and VoWiFi capabilities from a single platform, along with other services, such as 'one-number, multi-devices'.
Reasons to Purchase this Report
- To know how the increasing number of mobiles acts as a driver of the global market scenario.
- To analyze various market perspectives, with the help of Porter’s five forces analysis.
- To know which of the regions is expected to witness the fastest growth rate during the forecast period.
- To identify the latest developments, market shares, and strategies that are employed by the major market players.
- 3 months analyst support, along with the Market Estimate sheet (in excel).
This report can be customized to meet your requirements.
1.1 Key Deliverables of the Study
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Market Definition
1.4 Key Findings of the Study
2. Research Approach and Methodology
3. Executive Summary
4. Market Dynamics
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Factors Driving the Market
4.2.1 Increasing internet penetration
4.3 Factors Restraining the Market
4.3.1 Limited awareness of the technology
4.4 Ecosystem Analysis
4.5 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.5.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.5.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.5.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.5.4 Threat of Substitute Products or Services
4.5.5 Competitive Rivalry among Existing Players
5. Technology Snapshot
6. Global Voice over Wi-Fi (VoWiFi) Market Segmentation
6.1 Voice Client
6.1.1 Integrated VoWiFi Client
6.1.2 Separate VoWiFi Client
6.1.3 Browser VoWiFi Client
6.2 Device Type
6.2.3 Others (Laptop, Notebook, Tablet, etc.)
6.3 By Geography
6.3.1 North America
6.3.4 Middle East & Africa
6.3.5 Latin America
7. Competitive Intelligence - Company Profiles
7.1 Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd
7.2 Nokia Corporation
7.4 Ericsson AB
7.5 Aptilo Networks
7.6 Alcatel-Lucent SA
7.7 LG Uplus Corporation
7.8 MetroPCS Communications Inc.
7.9 AT&T Inc.
7.10 KT Corporation
7.11 Mitel Networks Corporation
8. Investment Analysis
9. Future of the Global Voice over Wi-Fi (VoWiFi) Market
- Ericsson AB
- Nokia Corporation
- Alcatel-Lucent SA
- Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd
- Aptilo Networks
- LG Uplus Corporation
- MetroPCS Communications Inc.
- AT&T Inc.
- KT Corporation
- Mitel Networks Corporation