Increase in Demand for New TV Platforms and Technologies
With the recent structural changes in the television industry, the demand for new TV platforms has grown. The rise of significant subscription video on demand over the top (SVOD OTT) players has been phenomenal to observe. On the global stage, Netflix and Amazon Prime Video have expanded from the US to core markets in the developed world, to become global providers. The Netflix coverage has been stable since January 2016. It covers over 190 countries, except few countries like China, Crimea, Syria, and North Korea where access is denied due to US government rules. Amazon Prime Video is also following its global expansion from December 2016. There are also major regional players, such as Hulu to be considered. The substantial increase of the SVOD platforms drives the need for satellite transponders during the forecast period.
Commercial Communications Occupies a Major Market Share amongst the Other Applications Segment
Despite the rise of OTT platforms and constant pressure from other sources, satellites are still being launched and the channels they carry still have subscribers. There is also a need for satellite transponders. According to Dataxis, the global pay TV subscribers grew to 1.05 billion between 2016 and 2017, and the DTH (direct to home) market grew by approximately 7 million subscribers from 238 to 245 million. Cable subscribers fell by roughly the same amount, from 578 to 572 million, while most of the growth of 60 million subscribers came from Linear OTT and IPTV. There is always restructuring of the commercial communications, which leads to demand for transponders and tends to trigger the demand during the forecast period.
North America Occupies the Largest Market Share
North America is expected to occupy the major share of the market due to the dire need for reliable satellite-based communication in video distribution, broadband accesses, and DTH, followed by APAC. However, significant growth will be seen in the MEA and Latin America due to rising demand for direct-to-home (DTH) satellite TV, high definition (HD) to replace standard definition (SD) offerings, need for secure communications for military and defense, and the vibrant broadcast industry in the region.
Key Recent Developments
- September 2017: Eutelsat Communications and V-Nova Ltd are unveiling a new satellite-delivered studio-quality HD contribution solution that for the first time offers video service providers and broadcasters a true alternative regarding bandwidth-efficiency. The new solution leverages V-Nova’s PERSEUS Pro technology to replicate typical fiber-based video contribution links, including individual frame compression, full-color resolution and, combines them with satellite delivery that adds the benefits of flexibility and ubiquity. This allows broadcasters to add studio-quality feeds critical to maintaining pristine quality and to benefit from editing capabilities from any location.
Reasons to Purchase the Repor:t
- Increase in demand for new TV platforms and technologies act as a driver in the global market scenario
- Analyzing various perspectives of the market with the help of Porter’s five forces analysis
- Regions expected to witness fastest growth during the forecast period
- Identify the latest developments, market shares, and strategies employed by the major market players
- 3 month analyst support, along with the Market Estimate sheet (in Excel)
This report can be customized to meet your requirements. Please contact us for more information.
1.1 Scope of the Study
1.2 Executive Summary
2. Research Methodology
2.1 Study Deliverables
2.2 Study Assumptions
2.3 Analysis Methodology
2.4 Research Phases
3. Market Insights
3.1 Market Overview
3.2 Porter’s Five Forces Model - Industry Attractiveness
4. Market Dynamics
4.1 Market Drivers
4.1.1 Increase in Demand for New TV Platforms and Technologies
4.1.2 Growth in KU-Band and KA-Band Services
4.1.3 Increased Demand for Consumer Broadband and Corporate Enterprise Networks
4.2 Market Restraints
4.2.1 Competition From Fiber-Optic Transmission Cable Networks
4.2.2 Requirement of High Capital Investment
5. Global Satellite Transponder Market Segmentation - By Bandwidth
6. Global Satellite Transponder Market Segmentation - By Application
6.1 Commercial Communications
6.2 Government Communications
6.4 Remote Sensing
7. Global Satellite Transponder Market Segmentation - By Service
7.2 Maintenance and Support
8. Global Satellite Transponder Market Segmentation - By Region
8.1 North America
8.4 Rest of the World
9. Global Satellite Transponder Market , Competitive Intelligence - Company Profiles
9.1 Eutelsat Communications S.A.
9.2 Intesat S.A.
9.3 SES S.A.
9.4 Thaicom Public Company Limited
9.5 SKY Perfect JSAT Corporation
9.6 Embratel Star One
9.7 SingAPOre Telecommunication Limited (Singtel)
9.8 Telesat Canada
*List not exhaustive
10. Investment Analysis
10.1 Recent Mergers and Acquisitions
10.2 Investment Outlook
11. Outlook of Satellite TransponderMarket
- Eutelsat Communications S.A.
- Intesat S.A.
- SES S.A.
- Thaicom Public Company Limited
- SKY Perfect JSAT Corporation
- Embratel Star One
- SingAPOre Telecommunication Limited (Singtel)
- Telesat Canada