APAC countries, such as China and India, have a strong positive impact on the automotive piston and the ancillary product markets. These markets have established their cost competitiveness for global players in this sector. With the rise in manufacturing costs, existing piston manufacturers in the United States and Europe are shifting their operations to APAC, where labor, raw materials, and other facilities are available at a low cost. Strong engineering skills and relatively low cost of skilled workforce in emerging economies are attracting manufacturers to shift their operations into these countries.
The global automotive piston market is segmented by material, type, coatings, and vehicle type. Based on material, the market is bifurcated as aluminum and steel. By type, it is further divided into trunk piston, crosshead piston, slipper piston, and deflector piston. By coating, the market is divided into thermal barrier coating piston, dry film lubricating coating piston, and oil shedding coating piston.
The different segments of the automotive industry, such as two-wheeler, three-wheeler, etc., are gaining huge demand in the global market. The latest trend regarding high-end bikes is using double cylinder engines, more advanced technology, as opposed to the other two-wheelers that use single cylinder engines, thus, increasing the demand for automotive pistons, globally.
The increase in demand for heavy and light commercial vehicles and passenger cars is contributing toward the growth of the market. There are continuous developments made in the automotive industry, thus, there is a necessity to produce pistons that are light in weight, with titanium and steel material, in order to gain better fuel efficiency.
Growing Demand for Automotive Piston Systems
The key factors that run the market growth of the automotive piston market are the increased production, which is directly related to the selling of automobiles, and demand for automotive. There are various factors that are affecting the market growth of automotive pistons, such as increasing demand for electric vehicles, which do not have pistons, and using advanced technologies, such as turbocharger in the diesel engines, which reduce the engines’ cost, thus, driving the market growth of automotive pistons.
Irrespective of these challenges, expansion in the untapped market of developing regions, such as Asia-Pacific, Latin America, and Africa, is expected to create a lucrative opportunity for the market players. Also, the rise in demand for lightweight pistons developed from composites of carbon, silicon, and magnesium is expected to unfold various opportunities for new products in the market, boosting the market growth.
As the demand for automotive pistons is directly related to the sales of automobiles, higher the sales of automobiles in the market, higher the demand for automotive piston systems.
Key Developments in the Market
- February 2017: Aisin Seiki acquired 8.8 million outstanding shares from Art Metal Piston Business.
- November 2017: Infiniti rolled out industry-first variable compression engine, by introducing the Variable compression, which solves the age-old problem of compromise.
- March 2018: Consumer Electronics show in Las Vegas, the Toyota e-Palette autonomous delivery and ride-sharing vehicle may get a small Mazda rotary engine packaged as part of a range-extender for its electrified powertrain.
- January 2018: Hastings Manufacturing Co. and Piston Rings Komarov, both leading global designers and manufacturers of piston rings for the OEM and aftermarket channels, have announced their merger.
Reasons to Purchase this Report
- Analyzing various perspectives of the market with the help of Porter’s five forces analysis
- Detailed analysis on the product type that is expected to dominate the market
- Detailed analysis on the regions that are expected to witness fastest growth during the forecast period
- Identifying the latest developments, market shares, and strategies employed by the major market players.
- 3-month analyst support, along with the Market Estimate sheet (in Excel)
This report can be customized to meet your requirements. Please contact us for more information.
1.1 Study Deliverables
1.2 General Study Assumptions
2. Research Methodology
2.2 Analysis Methodology
2.3 Econometric Forecast Model
2.4 Research Assumptions
3. Executive Summary
4. Market Overview and Technology Trends
4.1 Current Market Scenario
4.2 Technological Developments
4.3 Investment Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Framework
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Competitive Rivalry within the industry
5. Market Dynamics
6. Automotive Piston System Market, By Raw Material
6.1 Cast iron
6.2 Aluminum Alloy
7. Automotive Piston System Market, By Piston Type
7.1 Two-Stroke Pistons
7.2 Solid Skirt Pistons
7.3 Ring Carrier Pistons
8. Automotive Piston System Market, By Geography
8.1 North America (NA)
8.1.4 United States
8.1.5 Rest of North America
8.2 Europe (EU)
8.2.2 United Kingdom
8.2.5 Rest of Europe
8.3 Asia-Pacific (APAC)
8.3.6 Rest of Asia-Pacific
8.4 South America (SA)
8.4.4 Rest of South America
8.5 Middle East & Africa (MEA)
8.5.3 South Africa
8.5.4 Rest of Middle East & Africa
9. Competitive Landscape
9.2 Market Share Analysis
9.3 Products & Developments of Key Players
10. Company Profile
10.1 Aisin Seiki
10.2 Arias Piston
10.3 Art Metal
10.4 Capricorn Automotive
10.5 Cheng Shing Piston
10.6 Day Piston
10.7 Federal Mogul
10.8 Hitachi Automotive Systems
10.10 Mahle Group
10.11 Piston Automotive
11. Future of the Market