High Adoption Rates of Image Sensors across End-user Industries
Imaging applications have found high adoption in industrial, media, medical, and consumer applications. Due to the growing demand for smart phones, security cameras, high-definition cameras and camcorders, the image sensors market is expected to retain high growth during the forecast period. Advancements in IC technology are allowing to incorporate functions that were previously independent by integrating sensors in the same chip. In addition, digitization allows image files to be electronically stored, archived and retrieved in an efficient manner, and this advantage and scope of application is boosting the image sensors market in security and surveillance. Due to a recent spike in demand for image and analytics tools, contribution of the study market in the overall industry is showing a promising growth for the image sensor market, globally.
Automobile Industry has a Fastest Growth Rate Amongst Others
Automotive & transportation is one of the fastest growing markets for image sensor. Due to the increasing purchasing power of the millennial population, there is a continuous demand for passenger cars. According to OICA, global passenger was estimated to be 72.10 million units in 2016 and the demand is expected to be continue during the forecast period.
Moreover, applications, such as safety-related imaging technologies and driver-assistance applications are becoming more mainstream. These include camera-enabled systems used for capturing a 360-degree surround view, in addition to enabling functions, such as lane departure warning and autonomous driving. In a broader perspective, image sensors are currently undergoing a transition from the traditional approach of production to a more pragmatic, technologically-advanced approach that ensures miniaturization and enhanced capabilities. Autonomous cars are expected to hit the commercial market by the end of 2018. Dynamics of this kind are influencing the image sensor market growth, globally. The future of image sensors growth is acute to rise of global car fleet. In addition, the automobile industry, globally, is flourishing and it is expected that the total number of vehicles in the world could double to 2.5 billion by 2050.
CMOS Image Sensor Holds a Major Market Share compared to CCD
CMOS (Complementary Metal-Oxide Semiconductor) sensor is an imaging sensor currently being used in most of the cameras and other image capturing devices. CMOS sensor is comparatively very cheap than its counterpart, CCD (Charged-Coupled device). In addition, rapid innovations in the CMOS technology have been able to deliver faster shutter speeds, while providing high-quality images. With the increasing need for high-definition image capturing devices in industries, the CMOS technology has been witnessing high adoption rate and demand is expected to be intact in the coming years.
North America Occupies the Major Market Share among the Other Regions
North America is one of the largest markets for image processing technological research, globally. The market in the region is mainly due to growing R&D activities and industrialization. Automotive is one of the largest markets in North America, where the United States is having the largest market share. Safety-related mandates in the automotive industry in North America are rising because of the rising accidents. This rise in accidents rate is increasing the need for ADAS in the automobile industry, with incorporation of advanced image sensing capabilities acting as a major market driver, and influencing the market growth in the region. Even the traffic federal regulations mandating the use of advanced image sensors from heavy vehicles to commercial vehicles for emergency preparedness have also contributed to the growth of the image sensors market. The image sensors market in North America is dominated by CMOS sensors, as they are heavily used in automotive, healthcare, consumer electronics, and others. Technological advancements and nanotechnology applications are the future opportunities for the image sensors market in North America.
Key Recent Developments
- January 2018: OmniVision Technologies, Inc announced the OV01A product family of high-performance image sensors, designed specifically for notebook computers with ultra-thin bezels. The OV01A is built on OmniVision’s 1.12-µm PureCelPlus stacked architecture, with a very small form factor for space-constrained applications such as narrow-bezel notebooks and handheld mobile devices. The OV01A uses OmniVision’s advanced PureCel Plus technology to deliver best-in-class performance with a 1.12-µm pixel size. The result is an HD sensor that provides customers with high-quality images in an extremely small form factor. Additionally, this sensor can output 720p resolution at 60 frames per second
- June 2017: Canon Inc. announced the launch of the EOS 200D, the newest addition to the EOS DSLR range that defies the design notion of traditional DSLR models with its trendy, light and compact form. The entry-level DSLR delivers high imaging performance and superior quality images through cutting-edge imaging technologies, including Dual Pixel CMOS AF, 24.2-megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor and the latest DIGIC 7 image processor
Reasons to Purchase this Report
- The growing adoption of image sensors across end user industries act as a driver in the global market scenario
- Analyzing various perspectives of the market with the help of Porter’s five forces analysis
- Regions expected to witness fastest growth during the forecast period.
- Identifying the latest developments, market shares, and strategies employed by the major market players
- 3-month analyst support, along with the Market Estimate sheet (in Excel)
This report can be customized to meet your requirements. Please contact us for more information.
1.1 Key Study Deliverables
1.2 Key Study Assumptions
1.3 Market Definition
2. Research Methodology
3. Executive Summary
4. Market Dynamics
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.2.1 High Adoption Rates of Image Sensors across End-user Industries
4.3 Market Restraints
4.3.1 Storage Space and Battery Consumption issues
4.4 Porter’s Five Forces Model – Industry Attractiveness
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitutes
4.4.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. Image Sensors Market Breakdown by Type
6. Image Sensors Market Breakdown by End-user Industry
6.1 Consumer Electronics
6.4 Security and Surveillance
6.5 Automotive and Transportation
6.6 Aerospace and Defense
7. Image Sensors Market Breakdown by Geography
7.1 North America
7.3 Asia Pacific
7.4 Rest of the World
8. Company Profiles of Image Sensors Market
8.1 Aptina Imaging Corporation
8.2 Canon Inc.
8.3 CMOSIS N.V.
8.4 Omnivision Technologies Inc.
8.5 ON Semiconductor Corporation
8.6 Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
8.7 Sony Corporation
8.8 STMicroelectronics N.V
8.9 Teledyne DALSA Inc.
8.10 Toshiba Corporation * List is not exhaustive
9. Investment Analysis
9.1 Recent Mergers and Acquisitions
9.2 Investor Outlook
10. Future Outlook of Image Sensors Market
- Aptina Imaging Corporation
- Canon Inc.
- Cmosis N.V.
- Omni vision Technologies Inc.
- On Semiconductor Corporation
- Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd.
- Sony Corporation
- STMicroelectronics N.V
- Teledyne Dalsa Inc.
- Toshiba Corporation.