Increasing Consumer Preference for Plastic Packaging over Other Products Is Driving the Market
As plastic packages are light-weight and easier to handle the adoption of these products is growing. Manufacturers are also preferring the use of plastic packaging solutions, due to lower costs of production. There are a wide variety of innovative, cost-effective, and sustainable packaging solutions emerging in the market. Increasing awareness about environmental issues regarding the use of plastic remains a major constraint for growth in the plastic industry. As the usage of plastic and plastic products have potentially hazardous effects on the environment, governments across the world have imposed very stringent rules and regulations in the industry, making it a relatively slower growing industry, compared to other materials.
Low-Density Polyethylene (LDPE), High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE) and Polypropylene are the Most Used Plastic Materials
LPDE is a thermoplastic made from the monomer ethylene, which is not reactive at room temperature. It has no branching, and can withstand temperatures of 80ºC, continuously. It is made in translucent or opaque variations. HPDE is a polyethylene thermoplastic made from petroleum. It is known for its large strength-to-density ratio, and has major application in plastic bottle production. It has limited branching, which gives it stronger intermolecular forces and greater tensile strength than LDPE. HPDE is harder, more opaque and can withstand higher temperatures (110ºC). Polypropylene is an addition polymer made from monomer propylene. The polymer is rugged and unusually resistant to many chemical solvents-bases and acids. Hence, the types of plastic bottles are made based on the requirement and usage. The ease of use and high demand for plastic bottles is expected to help the plastic bottles market grow at a moderate rate, during the forecast period.
Plastic Bottles are Expected to Continue Holding the Highest Market Share in Primary Pharmaceutical Containers
Plastic bottles are being used in bulk and prescription dose packaging of oral ethical drugs and the packaging of solid dose oral over-the-counter medicines in large quantities. The recyclable nature of bottles makes them a very attractive choice. Due to multiple uses, plastic bottles are in huge demand in industries like pharmaceuticals. The number of Companies looking to expand into emerging markets, with no sophisticated cold storage chains and producing packages those can provide longer shelf life are growing. Under these circumstances, the demand for plastic packaging products, such as bottles and containers, has increased tremendously in the last decade, and has been a major driver for the global plastic bottles market.
Growing Health Awareness in Consumers is Prompting Them to Opt for Products That Keep Them Refreshed and Are Safe To Consume
This trend creates a high demand for cost-effective packaging solutions in the plastics industry. On an average, the amount of glass, steel, and aluminum required to pack 10 gallons of beverages are 40, eight and three pounds, respectively. The same amount can be packaged and transported using just two pounds of plastic. This highly-efficient packaging helps conserve a large amount of resources. From morning juices to rejuvenating drinks, consumers are now spending more on the products, which keep them refreshed and are safe to consume. The growth is expected to be observed across different beverage products like juices, coffee, tea, soups, non-dairy beverages, and others.
Asia-Pacific is the Fastest Growing Region During the Forecasted Period
Strict regulations, increasing demand in the end-user industry, and the growing demographics favoring cost-effective solutions are some of the factors augmenting the growth of the market.
Key Developments in the Market
- June 2017: Plastipak Packaging Inc., has announced its Direct Object Printing (DOP) patented technology has earned a 2017 Silver Award for Packaging Innovation from DuPont Performance Materials. The judges described Plastipak’s DOP capability as an outstanding accomplishment in packaging innovation due to excellence in technological advancement. DOP is a patented technology for packaging decoration. Using specially developed inks that are fully compatible with closed-loop recycling and that are cured using low-energy LED lights, images are directly ink-jet printed onto plastic bottles and containers, eliminating the need for separate labels, liners and adhesives.
- April 2017: Amcor Rigid Plastics expands its relationship with long-time customer Campbell Soup Co. with the opening of an on-site bottle manufacturing operation in Texas. Amcor’s new in-line operation is expected to produce approximately 50 million hot-fillable polyethylene terephthalate (PET) bottles each year. Campbell’s increased access to packaging will also deliver sustainability benefits including reduced freight costs and carbon emissions, and enhanced operational efficiencies.
Reasons to Purchase the Report
- Increasing Consumer Preference acts as a driver to the global market scenario.
- Analyzing various perspectives of the market with the help of Porter’s five forces analysis.
- The regions that are expected to witness fastest growth during the forecast period.
- Identify the latest developments, market shares, and strategies employed by the major market players.
- 3 months analyst support, along with the Market Estimate sheet (in Excel).
This report can be customized to meet your requirements.
1.1 Key Study Deliverables
1.2 Key Study Assumptions
1.3 Market Definition
2. Research Methodology
3. Executive Summary
4. Market Dynamics
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.2.1 Growing Demand from the Packaging Industry
4.3 Market Restraints
4.3.1 Environmental Concerns Regarding the Usage of Plastic
4.4 Industry Attractiveness - Porter’s Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitutes
4.4.5 Competitive Rivalry Within the Industry
5. Global Plastic Bottles Market Segmentation - By Raw Material
5.1 Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET)
5.2 Poly Propylene (PP)
5.3 Low Density Poly Ethylene (LDPE)
5.4 High Density Poly Ethylene (HDPE)
6. Global Plastic Bottles Market Segmentation - By End-user Vertical
6.5 Industry and Transport
6.6 Household Chemicals
7. Global Plastic Bottles Market Segmentation - By Region
7.1 North America
7.1.1 United States
7.2.1 United Kingdom
7.2.4 Rest of Europe
7.3.4 Rest of Asia-Pacific
7.4 Latin America
7.4.4 Rest of Latin America
7.5 Middle East & Africa
7.5.1 Saudi Arabia
7.5.3 South Africa
7.5.4 Rest of Middle East & Africa
8. Global Plastic Bottles Market, Competitive Intelligence - Company Profiles
8.1 Amcor Limited
8.2 Cospack America Corporation
8.3 Bericap GmbH & Co. KG
8.4 Rexam, Inc.
8.5 Berry Plastics
8.6 Graham Packaging Company
8.7 Container Corporation of Canada
8.8 Ontario Plastic Container Producers Ltd.
8.9 Constar Internationals, Inc.
8.10 Alpha Packaging
8.11 Alpack Plastics
8.12 International Packaging Corporation
8.13 Plastipak Holdings, Inc.
* List is not exhaustive
9. Investment Analysis
9.1 Recent Mergers and Acquisitions
9.2 Investor Outlook
10. Outlook of Plastic Bottles Market
- Amcor Limited
- Cospack America Corporation
- Bericap GmbH & Co. KG
- Rexam Inc.
- Berry Plastics
- Graham Packaging Company
- Container Corporation of Canada
- Ontario Plastic Container Producers Ltd.
- Constar Internationals Inc.
- Alpha Packaging
- Alpack Plastics
- International Packaging Corporation
- Plastipak Holdings Inc.