Over the years, since the advent of materials such as polymers, the concept of water in sealed cans and bottles has become mainstream and has evolved at a fast pace. While initially, it was intended for small-scale use, the commercialization of bottled water and the followed surge of locally made imitation products caused an explosion in the demand and distribution of bottled water. Researchers have come up with innovative ways to seal in carbonated water. Besides, bottle manufacturers are also investing in advertising & marketing campaigns to gain an extended customer base and eventually capture high industry share. Bottle packaging also makes it convenient for transportation of water over greater distances. Moreover, the frequent use of bottled water by tourists and travelers around the world is expected to drive the bottled water packaging market.
Awareness About the Benefits of Consuming Safe Water Driving the Market
Bottled water is considered as a safer option over tap water. Growth in waterborne diseases specifically, in rural areas are contributing towards increasing demand for bottled water packaging. Moreover, to avoid ill-health conditions, regions having unpotable water supply are shifting toward canned water bottle supply. Presently, with more than 700 million people across 43 countries suffering from water scarcity and the sustained rise in wastewater generation, the demand for safe water has surged. Also, growth in the consumption of clean packaged drinking water, due to increased health consciousness in the majorly populated countries is further expected to drive the demand.
Plastic Packaging to Dominate the Market
Plastic packaging has become ubiquitous across the globe owing to its significant features over other forms of packaging. With its ability to meet diverse packaging needs, from electronic components to shelf-able packaging for food and beverages. Consumer preference for plastic packaging in the bottled water industry has been observed over other products, as plastic packages are lightweight and easier to handle. Also, the key manufacturers prefer to use plastic packaging solutions, as the cost of production is significantly lower. In addition, technological advancements have led to the advent of eco-friendly and bio-degradable plastics. Furthermore, a significant amount of plastic products are being recycled and reused in the recent years, making plastic a sustainable option.
Asia-Pacific is the Largest Market due to Huge Population Base
The rising population and growth in purchasing power of consumers in developing countries of the Asia-Pacific, like India and China, is anticipated to stimulate the growth during the forecast period. Moreover, the region also boasts the presence of a significant number of players, which is another factor expected to act as a driver. The growing influx of tourists in countries, such as China and Thailand, which witnessed 59 million and 32.6 million tourists in 2016, is expected to drive the demand for bottled water packaging.
Key Developments in the Market
- May 2017: Icelandic Glacial launched its premium sparkling water in PET bottles, resembling its glass packaging counterpart. Through this launch, the company aims to capture on-the-go usage occasions and further aims to tap the fast-growing premium PET bottle market.
- March 2017: Danone and Nestlé Waters joined forces with Origin Materials, a startup based in Sacramento, California, to form the NaturALL Bottle Alliance. The three partners aim to develop and launch at commercial scale a PET plastic bottle made from a bio-based material, which is 100% sustainable.
- March 2017: Highland Spring announced a packaging refresh ahead of what the company expects to be a busy summer.
Reasons to Purchase the Report
- To analyze the convenience provided by bottled packaging and its effect on the demand for the packaging solutions.
- Analyzing various perspectives of the market with the help of Porter’s Five Forces Analysis.
- Packaging type and material that is expected to dominate the market.
- Regions that are expected to witness accelerated growth during the forecast period.
- Latest developments, market shares and strategies employed by the major market players.
- 3 months analyst support along with the Market Estimate sheet (in Excel).
This report can be customized to meet your requirements.
1.1 Key Deliverables of the Study
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Market Definition
1.4 Key Findings of the Study
2. Research Approach and Methodology
3. Executive Summary
4. Market Dynamics
4.1 Market Overview
4.2.1 Rising Awareness Concerning the Benefits of Consuming Safe Water
4.2.2 Easy Availability and Convenience Provided by Bottle Packaging During Traveling
4.3.1 Stringent Regulations Imposed by Government due to Improper Disposal of Plastic Bottles
4.3.2 Under Developed Water Supply Infrastructure
4.4 Industry Attractiveness - Porter’s Five Force Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitutes
4.4.5 Competitive Rivalry
5. Market Segmentation
5.1 By Material
5.2 By Region
5.2.1 North America
5.2.4 Latin America
5.2.5 Middle East & Africa
6. Competitive Intelligence - Company Profiles
6.1 Alpack Plastic Packaging
6.2 Alpack Plastics
6.3 Alpha Group
6.4 Amcor Ltd
6.5 Ball Corporation
6.7 Graham Packaging Company
6.9 Plastipak Holdings, Inc.
6.10 Rpc Group PLC
6.11 Sidel International
6.12 Silgan Holdings, Inc.
6.13 Tetra Pak International S.A.
*List not Exhaustive
7. Investment Analysis
8. Future of the Market