Flame-retardants are compounds added to or applied during the surface treatment of potentially flammable materials, including textiles and plastics. They inhibit/delay and suppress flames, and curb the fire from spreading. Flame retardant chemicals are highly effective in preventing and curbing the development of domestic fires. However, studies have indicated that the presence of halogenated flame retardant chemicals makes the emissions more toxic and inhaling those emissions could lead to a serious health risk.
Soaring Demand in Infrastructure Industry
The demand for flame retardants is driven by the increase of infrastructure activities in the developing economies, such as India, China, Indonesia, and others, and the growing consumer demand for electrical & electronic products across the world. Building & construction industry dominates the flame retardant chemicals market with a significant market share. The growing population, coupled with the increasing purchasing power among the middle-class population in the developing economies, such as India, South Korea, and ASEAN countries, has boosted the need for infrastructural projects, such as recreational centers, shopping malls, sophisticated health care centers, high-rise buildings, and others, thereby, accelerating the usage of flame retardant chemicals.
The growing demand and usage of flame retardant chemicals in the manufacture of consumer electrical & electronic goods is expected to boost the market growth. The chemicals find use in electrical equipment in the smallest components of a computer to the large electrical grids. Flame retardants increase resistance to both internal and external heat sources.
Asia-Pacific Region to Lead the Market
In the Asia-Pacific region, the major demand for flame retardant chemicals is from the building & construction sector, as the construction industry is growing rapidly in the developing economies, like India, China, and some ASEAN countries. In China, the infrastructure projects are increasing under its One Belt, One Road initiative.
Key Developments in the Market
- March 2018 - Italmatch Chemicals, a global specialty chemical group leader in the production and marketing of performance additives for water & process treatment, oil & gas, industrial lubricants, and plastics, acquired Chinese Jiayou Chemical, active in the phosphonate business.
- February 2018 - The Fire Retardant Additives business unit, part of the Huber Engineered Materials division of J.M. Huber Corporation, announced a significant capital investment to increase the production capacity for Martinal LEO fine precipitated alumina trihydrate at its Martinswerk Plant in Bergheim, Germany.
Reasons to Purchase the Report
- To understand the impact of end-user applications on the market
- Analyzing various perspectives of the market with the help of Porter’s five forces analysis
- To understand the dominating product type in the market
- To identify the countries that are expected to witness the fastest growth during the forecast period
- Identify the latest developments, market shares, and strategies employed by the major market players
- 3 months analyst support, along with the Market Estimate sheet (in Excel).
This report can be customized to meet your requirements. Please connect with our Customer Service team, who will ensure you get a report that suits your needs.
1.1 Research Phases
1.2 Scope of the Market
1.3 Study Deliverables
2. Executive Summary
3. Market Insights
3.1 Industry Value Chain Analysis
3.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
3.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
3.2.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
3.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
3.2.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
3.2.5 Degree of Competition
3.3 Price Analysis
3.4 Regulatory Policy Analysis
3.5 Raw Material Analysis
3.6 Technological Snapshot
4. Market Dynamics
4.1.1 Increasing Infrastructure Activities in Asia-Pacific
4.1.2 Rise in Safety Standards in Building Construction
4.1.3 Rising Consumer Electrical and Electronic Goods Manufacturing
4.2.1 Environmental and Health Concerns Regarding Brominated and Halogenated Flame Retardants
4.2.2 Non-Suitability of Hydroxides to High-Temperature Applications
4.3.1 Rising Awareness on Environment-Friendly Flame Retardants
4.3.2 Active R&D into Non-Halogenated Flame Retardants
5. Market Segmentation and Analysis (Market Size, Growth, and Forecast)
5.1 By End-user Industry
5.1.1 Electrical & Electronics
5.1.2 Buildings & Construction
5.1.4 Textiles & Furniture
5.2 By Product Type
5.2.1 Non-halogenated Flame Retardant Chemicals
126.96.36.199.1 Aluminum Hydroxide
188.8.131.52.2 Magnesium Hydroxide
184.108.40.206.3 Boron Compounds
5.2.2 Halogenated Flame Retardants Chemicals
220.127.116.11 Brominated Compounds
18.104.22.168 Chlorinated Compounds
6. Regional Market Analysis (Market Size, Growth, and Forecast)
6.1.4 South Korea
6.1.5 Australia & New Zealand
6.1.6 Rest of Asia-Pacific
6.2 North America
6.2.1 United States
6.2.4 Rest of North America
6.3.2 United Kingdom
6.3.6 Rest of Europe
6.4 South America
6.4.3 Rest of South America
6.5 Middle-East & Africa
6.5.1 Saudi Arabia
6.5.2 South Africa
6.5.4 Rest of Middle-East & Africa
7. Competitive Landscape
7.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
7.2 Market Share Analysis**
7.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
8. Company Profiles (Overview, Financials**, Products & Services, and Recent Developments)
8.1 Apexical Inc.
8.2 BASF SE
8.3 Clariant AG
8.4 DaihachiChemical Industry Co. Ltd
8.5 DIC Corporation
8.6 DSM N.V.
8.9 Huber Engineered Materials (J.M. Huber Corporation)
8.11 ItalmatchChemicals S.p.A.
8.12 Jiangsu Yoke Technology Co., Ltd.
8.13 MpiChemie B.V.
8.15 Nabaltec AG
8.16 Nippon Carbide Industries Co., Inc. (Sanwa Chemical Co. Ltd)
8.17 Nyacol Nano Technologies Inc.
8.18 Rin Kagaku Kogyo Co. Ltd.
8.19 RTP Company
8.20 Shandong Brother Sci. &Tech. Co. Ltd.
8.21 Sumitomo Corporation
8.22 Thor Industries
8.23 TOR Minerals
**Subject to availability on public domain
- AkzoNobel N.V.
- Albemarle Corporation
- Apexical Inc.
- BASF SE
- DIC CORPORATION
- DSM N.V.
- Huber Engineered Materials
- Italmatch Chemicals SpA
- MPI Chemie BV
- Nabaltec AG
- Nippon Carbide Industries Co. Inc.
- RTP Company
- Sumitomo Chemical Co. Ltd
- Solaris Chemtech Limited
- TOR Minerals
- Tosoh Corporation