Financial intermediation, real estate and business activities contributed 27.8% to the gross value added (GVA) in 2016, followed by wholesale, retail and hotels (26.1%) and transport, storage and communication (10%). In nominal terms, the three sectors are expected to have grown by 5%, 4.7% and 4.4% respectively in 2017.
The major regions of Hong Kong are the Hong Kong Island and Kowloon, where most of the economic activity and population is concentrated.
- As per World Bank's Logistics Performance Index (LPI), transport and logistic infrastructure in Hong Kong has improved over the last two years with increase in rank from 15th in 2014 to 9th out of 160 countries in 2016
- Majority of the FDI inflows was directed towards real estate and professional business services in 2016
- The Hong Kong government has earmarked HK$100 bn (US$12.8 bn) in 2017 to be invested in infrastructure projects.
- Macroeconomic Outlook Report identifies the potentials of the country as an investment destination by analyzing the political, economic, social, technological, legal and environmental (PESTLE) structure.
- PESTLE Insights provides 360 degree view of the economy which can be used as a strategic tool to understand the market dynamics, business potentials and direction of operations
- Along with providing the country’s snapshot, the report captures the risk factors pertaining to the macroeconomic risks, political environment, legal environment, demographic and social structure effectiveness, technology & infrastructure and natural and geographic aspects that might impact business.
- This report also highlights key clusters/cities which contribute significantly to the country GDP and population along with major companies’ presence in these areas.
- Did you Know?
- Country Highlights
- Country Snapshot
- PESTLE Insights
- Political Landscape
- Economic Landscape
- Social Landscape
- Technological Landscape
- Legal Landscape
- Environmental Landscape
Exhibit 1: Hong Kong’s Performance in Country Risk Analysis in Comparison to Asia Pacific and the World Average
Exhibit 2: Performance Overview (Score: 1-100)
Exhibit 3: Broad Categories and Weights behind the Index
Exhibit 4: Hang Seng Index
Exhibit 5: Key Sectors Contribution to the Economy
Exhibit 6: Net FDI inflow and outflow(2012-2016) and FDI by Sector (2012-2016)
Exhibit 7: FDI by Country(2012-2016) and Share of sectors in total FDI inflow(2016)
Exhibit 8: Key Infrastructure Indicators
Exhibit 9: Real GDP and Household Consumption Growth Rate
Exhibit 10: Real GDP Growth Rate Comparison (2017)
Exhibit 11: Export, Import and Trade Balance
Exhibit 12: Current Account Balance
Exhibit 13: Top Three Commodity Exports, % of Total Exports, 2014-2017
Exhibit 14: Electrical Machinery and Equipment, % of World Total, 2017
Exhibit 15: Interest Rates
Exhibit 16: Exchange Rate
Exhibit 17: Public Finance
Exhibit 18: General Government Debt
Exhibit 19: Employment/Unemployment
Exhibit 20: Average Annual Wages
Exhibit 21: Labour Cost Index
Exhibit 22: Age Dependency Ratio
Exhibit 23: Age-group Share of Total Population
Exhibit 24: Gender Split
Exhibit 25: Internet Users % of Total Population, Mobile Penetration Rate and Broadband Penetration Rate, 2016
Exhibit 26: Number of Patents Granted Per M Inhabitants, 2015
Exhibit 27: High-technology exports (% of manufactured exports)
Exhibit 28: Doing Business in Hong Kong 2018
Exhibit 29: Corruption Perception Index (Rankings) 2017
Exhibit 30: CO2 Emissions