The scope of this report is restricted to the supercomputer market, segmented by type (vector processing machines, tightly connected cluster computer, commodity computers) and end-user sectors (government, commercial, and research). A supercomputer can perform high-level processing at a faster rate, when compared to a normal computer. It generally has multiple processors, which result in faster circuit switching. This enables a user to access a large amount of data and process it in a lesser time. The supercomputer market has been segmented by type, end-user, processors, and region. It is used in weather forecasting, defense, and medical sciences. Supercomputers are developed by companies, like Atos SE, Cray Inc., Dell, FUJITSU, Hewlett Packard Enterprise Development LP, and IBM, among others.
The Need to Process Huge Data in Less Time is driving the Market
With technological advancements, the amount of data availability is increasing, exponentially. It takes a lot of time for many normal computers to process huge amount of data together. A supercomputer can alone access and process huge amount of data in a faster and easier way, as it consists of parallel processing. As there is a rush for faster processing rates by different organizations, the ability of faster processing, higher problem-solving ability, and high-performance computing capability is driving the supercomputer market growth.
Supercomputers Finding Applications in Weather Forecast and Defense Research
Supercomputers can predict weather conditions and natural disasters by constantly monitoring and prevent loss of life caused due to natural disasters, such as cyclones, hurricanes, tornados, and earthquakes, among others. It is also used in defense research in developing various weapons, such as missiles. It reduces the cost of defense system by shortening the design cycle and reducing reliance on expensive and destructive-live experiments. Due to this, governments of various countries are investing in developing supercomputers.
Asia-Pacific a Major Market
Due to the rising trend of accessing and processing huge amount of data at faster rates and extending applications in various fields, such as weather forecasting, defense research, and medical applications, many countries across the world are investing in the development of supercomputers. The major contribution in investment and development is from countries in Asia-Pacific, with countries like India and China investing heavily in the technology landscape. Thus, Asia-Pacific is projected to be the major market for supercomputers.
Key Developments in the Market
- March 2018 - Cray tapped to deliver the largest supercomputer dedicated to Fusion Science in Japan, by National Institutes for Quantum, and Radiological Science and Technology. The new system is expected to deliver peak performance of over 4 petaflops, an increase of more than 2 times the system it is replacing.
- August 2017- Hewlett Packard Enterprise sends supercomputer into space to accelerate mission to Mars. This supercomputer, called the Space borne Computer, is a part of a year-long experiment conducted by HPE and NASA, in order to run a high-performance commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) computer system in space, which has never been done before. The goal for the system is to operate seamlessly in the harsh conditions of space for one year, roughly the amount of time it will take to travel to Mars.
Reasons to Purchase the Report
- The advancements in supercomputers market
- Various perspectives of the market with the help of Porter’s five forces analysis
- The type of service and end user expected to dominate the market
- Regions expected to witness the fastest growth during the forecast period
- The latest developments, market shares, and strategies employed by the major market players
- 3-month analyst support, along with the Market Estimate sheet (in Excel)
This report can be customized to meet your requirements. Please contact us for more information.
1.1 Key Deliverables of the Study
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Market Definition
1.4 Key Findings of the Study
2. Research Approach and Methodology
3. Executive Summary
4. Market Dynamics
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Factors Driving the Market
4.2.1 Increasing Demand for Higher Processing Power
4.2.2 Growing Investments in Research
4.3 Factors Restraining the Market
4.3.1 High Initial Setup Cost
4.3.2 Large Installation Space
4.4 Industry Attractiveness – Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products or Services
4.4.5 Competitive Rivalry among Existing Competitors
5. Supercomputer Market Segmentation
5.1 By Type
5.1.1 Vector Processing Machines
5.1.2 Tightly Connected Cluster Computer
5.1.3 Commodity Computers
5.2 By End User
5.2.1 Commercial Industries
5.2.2 Government Entities
5.2.3 Research Institutions
5.3 By Region
5.3.1 North America
5.3.4 Latin America
5.3.5 Middle East & Africa
6. Competitive Intelligence – Company Profiles
6.1 Atos SE
6.2 Cray Inc.
6.3 Dell Inc.
6.4 FUJITSU Corporation
6.5 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Development LP
6.6 IBM Corporation
6.7 Lenovo Inc.
6.8 NEC Technologies India Private Limited
6.9 Silicon Graphics International (SGI)
6.10 Sugon Information Industry (Dawning)
*List not exhaustive
7. Investment Analysis
8. Future of the Supercomputer Market