Over-the-Top (OTT) video market in Europe is very competitive with a mixture of established international providers such as Netflix, HBO, and Amazon, operating alongside regional players and telco-operated OTT platforms, such as Sky, VodafoneZiggo, Telefonica, Deutsche Telekom, Telecom Italia, and Canal+, who are more recent market entrants.
Content quality and variety is the key driver in subscription figures and revenue, with many Over-the-Top (OTT) providers making significant investments, often in the billions of dollars, to produce original content as well as obtaining exclusive broadcasting rights to major sporting events, as a means of differentiating their platform.
The majority of Over-the-Top (OTT) players provide either pure SVoD, or combine this with TVoD. AVoD services are rare aside from notable platforms such as YouTube and ivi.ru, which offers 97% of its content free to combat video piracy.A common service that providers have been largely successful in implementing is cross-device platform integration of Over-the-Top (OTT) video services, increasing viewing times from subscribers by enabling them access across smart TVs, mobile phones, PCs, and tablets, using a range of mobile and smart TV apps.
In Europe, the Over-the-Top (OTT) market is relatively developed and competitive in comparison to other geographies, with many local cable/pay-TV players as well as mobile operators entering the market through leveraging their existing customer bases. International players such as Netflix and Amazon still remain major players across Europe, however they are facing increasingly tough competition in markets such as Russia, France, and Germany where the demand for more localized content is better satisfied by local Over-the-Top (OTT) providers.
The report "Over-the-Top Video in Europe: Over-the-Top (OTT) Video Content and Pricing Strategies", provides an executive-level overview of the Over-the-Top (OTT) video market in Europe. It delivers deep qualitative insight into the Over-the-Top (OTT) Video market, analyzing key trends on content offers, business models for content delivery and pricing strategies.
Strategic Inclusion in the report:
- OTT Video Content Strategies
- OTT Video Pricing Strategies
- OTT Video Content and Pricing Best Practices
- Key findings and recommendations
Companies mentioned in this report: All 4, Amazon, Apple, BBC, Canal+, Cyfrowy Polsat, DAZN, Detusche Telekom, Entertain TV, Google, HBO Europe, IPLA, ivi.Ru, livestream, maxdome, Megogo, Movistar+, Netflix, NOW TV, OnPrime TV, ProSiebenSat.1 Media, Rakuten TV, Sky, Telecom Italia (TIM), Telefónica, Vimeo, Youtube, Ziggo
- The OTT video market in Europe is highly competitive and very saturated with the presence of both international and local players.
- OTT providers look to compete on content offering instead, in order to increase their market share.
- A number of providers, particularly broadcasters and telcos, have integrated the option to view live TV channels within their OTT platforms, offering exclusive coverage of live sports, major cultural events, and daily news coverage alongside its existing library of films and TV shows.
Reasons to buy
- This Insider Report provides a comprehensive examination of the OTT video business models for content delivery in the Europe market to help executives fully understand market dynamics, determine what works and what doesn’t, formulate effective product development plans and optimize resource allocation and return on investments.
- Three case studies illustrate the findings of the report, providing insight into particular situations in the OTT video market; this will help the reader understand both the challenges confronted in the real world and the strategies employed to overcome those challenges.
- The report discusses concrete opportunities in the OTT video market, providing a number of actionable recommendations for telecom operators, OTT video service providers and regulators.
- With more than ten charts and tables, the report is designed for an executive-level audience, to help to understand the OTT video market, analyzing OTT video content trends and offers, business models for content delivery and pricing strategies.
Table of Contents
- Executive summary
- Section 1: OTT Video Content Strategies
- OTT video definition and market context
- OTT video content best practices
- Section 2: OTT Video Pricing Strategies
- OTT video business models and pricing strategy
- Section 3: Case Studies
- Section 4: Key Findings and Recommendations
- Key findings
- OTT video content index
- Companies mentioned
- Acronyms and definitions
- About the authors
- Contact information
List of Exhibits
Exhibit 1: Types of OTT video providers
Exhibit 2: OTT video providers in Europe by type, 2018
Exhibit 3: Select OTT video content trends, Europe, 2018
Exhibit 4: OTT video content offers, 2018
Exhibit 5: OTT video content delivery format, Europe, 2018
Exhibit 6: Pricing of SVoD OTT providers, 2018
Exhibit 7: Pricing of TVoD OTT providers, 2018
Exhibit 8: SVoD OTT video player positioning in Europe based on pricing and content strategy, 2018
Exhibit 9: SVoD OTT video player positioning in Europe based on pricing and content strategy, 2018
Exhibit 10: OTT video content index composition
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- All 4
- Cyfrowy Polsat
- Detusche Telekom
- Entertain TV
- HBO Europe
- NOW TV
- OnPrime TV
- ProSiebenSat.1 Media
- Rakuten TV
- Telecom Italia (TIM)